Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Optic Selection for 12.5

Feedback Score

Optic Selection for 12.5

The build I am currently working on is a 12.5 suppressed SOLGW carbine length gas system barreled gun. My idea going into this build was building the compact “Jack of all trades master of none” carbine. This gun will have a Silencerco Saker 556K can on it the majority of the time. I wanted a build capable of 400-500 yards but still be handy and light enough to be quick for shooting up close. The thing I keep flip flopping on is I cannot make up my mind on what optic setup. I wanted this gun to be able to engage out to 400-500 AND I wanted to be able to have a dot to shoot up close with as well as passively through NVGS. Originally I was thinking an LPVO (I already have a lot of experience with these so I’m aware of the versatility that they give) with an offset dot on the 45. The LPVO I was looking at was the Trijicon Creedo 1-8 and then throwing an Aimpoint T-2 on the offset 45. The only drawback to this setup that I keep thinking about is that a 12.5 with a K can, an LPVO, and an offset T-2 is gonna start to add up in weight. That’s what made me start thinking of other options such as an ACOG with a dot (I don’t know if I would do an RMR on the top of the ACOG or just throw a dot on the 45), or just an Aimpoint T-2 on a Unity Fast mount with a 3x magnifier behind it. Like I said I have a lot of time behind LPVOs and I’m aware of how much versatility they have but I didn’t want to start over building the gun to be too heavy. That being said I feel like I can handle the weight, but if another setup is just gonna be more efficient I am open to new ideas. Again I wanted a dot on the gun too for both rapid up close shooting as well as passive NVG use. I have also been concerned about how well an ACOG reticle would match up ballistically to a suppressed 12.5 shooting XM193 as it’s main diet. Thoughts and ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by a1madrid; 06-10-22 at 14:37.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    ACOG works great with most loads. Like the experts here pointed out, the reticle is a guideline/estimate for hold. You might have to hold chin level to get a center mass hit at 500 with XM193. Once you know this, you likely won't forget it.

I'm not a fan of LPVOs at all. They just don't do anything very well for the size. The COG has been seeing a lot of range time with us lately.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    ACOG works great with most loads. Like the experts here pointed out, the reticle is a guideline/estimate for hold. You might have to hold chin level to get a center mass hit at 500 with XM193. Once you know this, you likely won't forget it.

I'm not a fan of LPVOs at all. They just don't do anything very well for the size. The COG has been seeing a lot of range time with us lately.
    So you think an ACOG on a suppressed 12.5 shooting XM193 the holds still might be useable out at distance with just minor correction?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There's no way I'd run an LPVO and a T-2 on a 12.5", suppressor or not. If you want to run an LPVO, then choose one with a usably bright dot to use as your red dot at close range. If you want a backup solution, then irons at 45 degrees, or an RMR if you like spending money, will work.

There's no law that states that hashmarks on a reticle must match the trajectory at 200, 300, 400......600 yards. If the first hash gives a point of impact at 175, then memorize it. If the 2nd hash down is at 250, then memorize it. If the 3rd hash down...I think you see where I'm going with this.

Shoot the setup at distance, and record the results.....done.
    Last edited by grizzman; 06-10-22 at 15:24.

Feedback Score
    I went through this same argument with myself recently. Here is where I ended up. 11.5 - RDS. 13.7 RDS with magnifier. 16 - LPVO. I think in your case I would go dot with magnifier. The whole reason I did that on my 13.7 was exactly what is causing you angst; it's supposed to be a lightweight carbine. Once you add LPVO, can, back up RDS etc etc you end up with a 12 lb gun. I have zero experience with an ACOG so not saying it is a bad choice, just going off my experience. That being said, I can see the argument with reticle vs dot for ranging and hold over.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    This stickied thread has good content for you.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...rbine)-Reality

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    One of my favorite "do all" guns wears a Kahles K16i in a Geissele 1.93" mount with a Reptilia ROF 90 and RMR. It is a relatively light setup with a lot of capability.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Do you have StrelokPro and a chrono? One thing I never understood (granted my knowledge base on dope, holds, etc is close to zero) is putting something with minimal stadia on an SBR. The reduced velocity from a shorter barrel would tell me that you need a reticle that’s has lots of drop because the round is going slower. I don’t know which ACOG you’d be looking at but something to consider, same thing goes for a JM-1 Razor.

I like the dot+mag more and more. I’ve only consistently shot out to 200 with mine but on 8” plates or smaller. Another thing I don’t understand is when someone picks an arbitrary distance they want to shoot at but no target size. I assume man size, but there’s a big difference between that and a massive steel rectangle. Man size at 500 with a dot and mag would be pretty difficult IMO. Again something to consider is the reticle, you have to be very practiced to know your holds when the only thing your optic gives you is one dot. I’ve really gotten to liking the EXPS 3-2 reticle for up close and it seems reasonable on paper at distance, though I haven’t stretched it yet. Keep in mind that holosun makes an Aimpoint micro size dot with a ACSS reticle that has elevation holds.

Personally, something like the Razor GIII 1-10 or probably the new PA Platinum Compact 1-8 make a lot of sense to me. Both are lighter than the Credo and have significant reticles that would compensate for the decreased velocity/increased bullet drop. Initial reviews of the PA have its 1x performance rivaling the Gen II Razor 1-6 while being lighter and having a more useful reticle plus 2x higher, but at the cost of brightness. The 1-10 Razor won’t sacrifice on brightness and is in between the weights of the Credo and PA but at the price point of the Credo or higher.

As far as offset, a T2 sounds like overkill. I ran a 507c for a little while to include during some 3-gun where the rifle was getting dumped and it did great. Pretty big weight savings over the T2, and the RMR is even lighter. Again though, offset or top mounted is a bit unorthodox So having a dot with more reticle may help finding it in some circumstances. I’m currently experimenting with the ACSS Vulcan 507 for that.

Obviously not a 12.5 but I love this so far on this gun and would really like to build a 12.5 with the same optic setup.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score

Optic Selection for 12.5

What ACOG model do you think the BDC would match up to closest to a 12.5 shooting XM193 with a K can on it? Will that StrelokPro let me play with different models of optics and compare bullet drop with different loads and different muzzle velocities?

Last edited by a1madrid; 06-12-22 at 13:06.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Do you have StrelokPro and a chrono? One thing I never understood (granted my knowledge base on dope, holds, etc is close to zero) is putting something with minimal stadia on an SBR. The reduced velocity from a shorter barrel would tell me that you need a reticle that’s has lots of drop because the round is going slower. I don’t know which ACOG you’d be looking at but something to consider, same thing goes for a JM-1 Razor.

I like the dot+mag more and more. I’ve only consistently shot out to 200 with mine but on 8” plates or smaller. Another thing I don’t understand is when someone picks an arbitrary distance they want to shoot at but no target size. I assume man size, but there’s a big difference between that and a massive steel rectangle. Man size at 500 with a dot and mag would be pretty difficult IMO. Again something to consider is the reticle, you have to be very practiced to know your holds when the only thing your optic gives you is one dot. I’ve really gotten to liking the EXPS 3-2 reticle for up close and it seems reasonable on paper at distance, though I haven’t stretched it yet. Keep in mind that holosun makes an Aimpoint micro size dot with a ACSS reticle that has elevation holds.

Personally, something like the Razor GIII 1-10 or probably the new PA Platinum Compact 1-8 make a lot of sense to me. Both are lighter than the Credo and have significant reticles that would compensate for the decreased velocity/increased bullet drop. Initial reviews of the PA have its 1x performance rivaling the Gen II Razor 1-6 while being lighter and having a more useful reticle plus 2x higher, but at the cost of brightness. The 1-10 Razor won’t sacrifice on brightness and is in between the weights of the Credo and PA but at the price point of the Credo or higher.

As far as offset, a T2 sounds like overkill. I ran a 507c for a little while to include during some 3-gun where the rifle was getting dumped and it did great. Pretty big weight savings over the T2, and the RMR is even lighter. Again though, offset or top mounted is a bit unorthodox So having a dot with more reticle may help finding it in some circumstances. I’m currently experimenting with the ACSS Vulcan 507 for that.

Obviously not a 12.5 but I love this so far on this gun and would really like to build a 12.5 with the same optic setup.

I’ve heard of this app before but I don’t have it or a chrono yet but I plan on buying one. If I go with an ACOG I want to find a model that will match the BDC with combat accuracy out to AT LEAST 400 yards with a 12.5 shooting XM193 with a K can on the end of it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast