Thread: Anybody into Night Vision Astronomy?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)

Anybody into Night Vision Astronomy?

The night sky looks totally amazing using NV with the standard 1x but I've been thinking I'd like get a telescope adapter and some astronomical filters for the full effect. Anyone into it, got any tips or info to share?

In two weeks, (June 24th) There is going to be a pretty awesome astronomical event...Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn are aligned in their natural order across the morning sky in a rare roughly 20 year conjunction. The last time five planets aligned was in Dec. 2004 and the next time it will happen will be in 2040. I'll be attending a Jon Dufresne NV class that weekend and will definitely be checking it out.

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2022...l-conjunction/
    Last edited by titsonritz; 06-11-22 at 03:56.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    This was what stood out to me the most during my first deployment. I had never seen so many stars in the sky until I looked up under NODs in the winter in Afghanistan.

I'm sure someone on this forum has a setup for a telescope and a PVS-14. Hopefully they can chime in.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    This was what stood out to me the most during my first deployment. I had never seen so many stars in the sky until I looked up under NODs in the winter in Afghanistan.

I'm sure someone on this forum has a setup for a telescope and a PVS-14. Hopefully they can chime in.
    Best thing about Afghanistan. A lot of Africa is like that, too. So many stars. Under NODs, its like the sky is milky with them, and you can just reach out and grab the moon. I actually did some white phos stargazing last night in SC (waiting for these future LTs to plot their points for a freaking hour and stopping for 20 minutes at every point), but the city is just close enough to suck and there was a good bit of cloud cover.

I’d love to have a NV telescope, particularly this past week when a bunch of planets were close together in the visual field.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    It is also a trip how the all satellites stand way out streaking across the sky, crisscrossing everywhere.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    I had a neighbor who had a 20” Dobsonian reflector and a NV eyepiece. Pretty amazing how much you could see in the deep sky with that setup.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    I had a neighbor who had a 20” Dobsonian reflector and a NV eyepiece. Pretty amazing how much you could see in the deep sky with that setup.
    Yeah I bet, I don't think I'll get quite that fancy.
    Last edited by titsonritz; 06-12-22 at 22:03.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    A 20” aperture telescope is bonkers with regular quality eyepieces too.
    Last edited by Coal Dragger; 06-12-22 at 21:09.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    It is also a trip how the all satellites stand way out streaking across the sky, crisscrossing everywhere.
    Yeah. That's interesting to see.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    When I got my night vision the stars were the #1 thing that blew me away. I feel like for every 10 stars you see with the naked eye you 100 in the same place with night vision.

I’m going to look into that event on the 24th. I’ll check it out if I can.

Never connected to a telescope but it would probably be cool. To me the wild thing is how many stars there are with night vision. So with the Bino’s on your just emerged in the world of stars.