Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Compensators affecting bolt/barrel life?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    Sounds like total bunk. How would you even be able to prove such a thing? Trying to account for every variable would be extremely hard.
    If you had an aggressive comp, you could probably see uneven galling on the barrel extension over many rounds... Assuming the theory has any truth to it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    If you had an aggressive comp, you could probably see uneven galling on the barrel extension over many rounds... Assuming the theory has any truth to it.
    Something as simple as not holding the rifle in the exact same way every time could affect how the comp works. On top of that, variations in ammo, bolt heat/extension treatment, materials could affect how those parts wear together irrespective of what the comp does. A cause and effect relationship would be difficult...was it the comp? the bolt? the extension, the shooter? none of that...something else?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    Something as simple as not holding the rifle in the exact same way every time could affect how the comp works. On top of that, variations in ammo, bolt heat/extension treatment, materials could affect how those parts wear together irrespective of what the comp does. A cause and effect relationship would be difficult...was it the comp? the bolt? the extension, the shooter? none of that...something else?
    Partly agree. I'd say with a FF handguard though.. holding the rifle wouldn't matter as much. But with American mediocrity in design and production in every component in the equation, it would be hard to say with certainty that the comp was guilty.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ta0117 View Post
    I was having a conversation with my local gunsmith who had worked as an Army armorer, and he made the claim that a compensator can affect your barrel or bolt life over time because it creates a vertical force on your barrel as the bolt is unlocking and cycling, and that creates uneven stresses on the bolt from the top lugs to the bottom lugs.
    Unless he's talking about some extreme porting for competition, some off brand-fashion comps, or 30k-40k rounds, this is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard.

If you're concerned with the bolt life replace it every 10-15k rounds. Quality bolt costs $60-70 which is about 120 rounds of ammo give or take.
    Last edited by alx01; 06-15-22 at 17:43.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    This was a big thing with orkan who used to post here. He was a big proponent of brakes that only vented sideways and didn't push the barrel downward. The A2 cage's compensation seems negligible to me. I definitely wouldn't use any device that comp'd the barrel down on any type of rifle... bolt or gas.
    What was his argument about compensators that don’t push the barrel downwards? Is it also something about bolt wear, or is there something more to it?

I’m considering a Warcomp but this argument is giving me second thoughts.
    Last edited by ta0117; 06-16-22 at 06:55.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Refer to my “Who Here Really Breaks Bolts” thread. I think you’ll be fine.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What was his argument about compensators that don’t push the barrel downwards? Is it also something about bolt wear, or is there something more to it?

Much ado about nothing. Don't give it another thought.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

He was a bolt gunner. I think it was more of an approach that you don't want a comp that makes your barrel flex like a diving board. Side vent brakes don't add to barrel whip. With .223, there's not as much muzzle blast, but when you start getting into 308 and up, a comp can really start moving a barrel.
    Last edited by markm; 06-16-22 at 11:06.

Feedback Score
    https://youtu.be/0yzKLyARNeU

Even an A2 birdcage will cause noticeable barrel whip compared to bare muzzle.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    https://youtu.be/0yzKLyARNeU

Even an A2 birdcage will cause noticeable barrel whip compared to bare muzzle.
    If you twist one on a P90 it will actually push the muzzle down as you rip a burst.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast