Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Do you run your BCM VFG backwards?

Feedback Score
    I didnt know there was a "wrong" way ..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    The reason for the angle in the grip, and the correlation to biomechanics is actually pretty simple. Make two karate chop hands and hold them in front of you. As you extend them, you’ll find that your wrists naturally want to angle your hands downward the further away you extend them. This is called ulnar deviation. As you bring them closer to your body, you’ll find that they start to naturally drift upward. This is called radial deviation.

If your critical homies are running their VFGs on short 7” rails with their stocks fully collapsed, running the VFG “backwards” actually makes sense from a biomechanics standpoint (radial deviation). You’ll find a similar grip angle on the Brügger and Thomet TP9, which makes sense, as it’s an extremely compact weapon system. If they’re running them backwards on longer rails, more extended outward toward the muzzle, they’re using them inversely to biomechanics, as, at this point, they would be better off working *with* the wrist’s natural tendency for ulnar drift. It sounds like they may be supinating their wrists and using the VFG incorrectly.

Radial deviation of the wrist inward (closer - Abduction)
    Ulnar deviation of the wrist outward (further - Adduction)

You can also see this phenomenon by making a thumbs up with your support hand and punching it away from you and pulling it back. You’ll see the natural deviation of the wrist at work going back and forth, and the option for an angle on the BCM VFG makes a lot more sense.
    Ahhh...real science...always refreshing.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    The reason for the angle in the grip, and the correlation to biomechanics is actually pretty simple. Make two karate chop hands and hold them in front of you. As you extend them, you’ll find that your wrists naturally want to angle your hands downward the further away you extend them. This is called ulnar deviation. As you bring them closer to your body, you’ll find that they start to naturally drift upward. This is called radial deviation.

If your critical homies are running their VFGs on short 7” rails with their stocks fully collapsed, running the VFG “backwards” actually makes sense from a biomechanics standpoint (radial deviation). You’ll find a similar grip angle on the Brügger and Thomet TP9, which makes sense, as it’s an extremely compact weapon system. If they’re running them backwards on longer rails, more extended outward toward the muzzle, they’re using them inversely to biomechanics, as, at this point, they would be better off working *with* the wrist’s natural tendency for ulnar drift. It sounds like they may be supinating their wrists and using the VFG incorrectly.

Radial deviation of the wrist inward (closer - Abduction)
    Ulnar deviation of the wrist outward (further - Adduction)

You can also see this phenomenon by making a thumbs up with your support hand and punching it away from you and pulling it back. You’ll see the natural deviation of the wrist at work going back and forth, and the option for an angle on the BCM VFG makes a lot more sense.
    Great post with good info..

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Running it backwards would seem to make it more of a handstop. Angled to the rear it is a more natural grip, right in line with the wrist.

YMMV.

This.

I’ve always ran mine backwards and used it solely as a “handstop”. Edit: I have also used it as a barricade support.

I’ve even considered “chopping” it ( I thought that was the Gucci thing to do anyways? But that could be its own thread..)

Last edited by SilverBullet432; 06-25-22 at 10:31.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567