Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 16” 6.5 Creedmoor barrel worth it?

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I see the same paradox in REVERSE with rifles all the time on the forums. This thread topic is a world class example.

Now I'm not totally unsold on the possibility of the OPs idea, but it is the classic example of wanting big performance in a smaller and/or lighter package.

At the end of the day, it boils down to what numbers are acceptable to OP.

What is to one of us may not be for the rest. Opinions will indeed vary on whether the sacrifices are worth the expense.

Feedback Score
    So if one compares 6.5 Creedmoor vs 7.62 NATO in a 16” gas gun, what are the differences in:

1. Actual ballistic performance

2. Barrel life

3. Overall costs, namely per round

I can see 6.5 Creedmoor on 20-26” bolt and gas guns any day of the week over 7.62x51. For 16”, I question the advantage until I see better data. 6.5 Creedmoor is flatter shooting than 7.62x51 out of a 16” barrel but at what price?

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadAngler1 View Post
    So if one compares 6.5 Creedmoor vs 7.62 NATO in a 16” gas gun, what are the differences in:

1. Actual ballistic performance

2. Barrel life

3. Overall costs, namely per round

I can see 6.5 Creedmoor on 20-26” bolt and gas guns any day of the week over 7.62x51. For 16”, I question the advantage until I see better data. 6.5 Creedmoor is flatter shooting than 7.62x51 out of a 16” barrel but at what price?

So in running the numbers today of various 308 projectiles of varying weight and BC vs 6.5CM in 130-140gr projo's in the 2300-2500 range and here's basically the gyst of what i'm seeing in terms of external ballistic performance:
    Roughly 0.5 mil less hold at 1000y (with 10mph full value/90degree wind) in favor of 6.5CM (calculated 3.0 vs 3.5 mil hold)
    Roughly similar ranges achieved when approaching trans-sonic velocities...no more than 70ish yards difference at approaching 1300fps

The point being this:
    While 6.5 CM holds the external ballistic advantage...however slightly at these speeds, is it worth it for:
    #2 ) barrel life
    #3 ) ammo costs
    #4 ) likely more costs on terminal effect due to the 6.5 being more of the fish-out-of-water at those speeds noted above in relation to expansion threshold and inherently lower energy numbers

If I weren't responsible for my gun (barrel), the ammo or the morality of terminal effect, 6.5CM it up and bring on the MRGG!!!

I gotta be honest fellas...I'm a fan of 6.5mm going back to before the existence of 6.5CM...

And even considering a lighter boltgun at 18ish inches, that even has me on the fence and leaning 308 given logistics.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    While 6.5 CM holds the external ballistic advantage...however slightly at these speeds, is it worth it for:
    #2 ) barrel life
    This will be interesting for us. I mean... we shoot 6.5cm like some guys shoot 5.56mm. Ammo cans with loose rounds on the bench. It will be interesting to see if we can wear out a barrel.

I wish we kept a better round count log.
    "You people have too much time on your hands." - scottryan

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    This will be interesting for us. I mean... we shoot 6.5cm like some guys shoot 5.56mm. Ammo cans with loose rounds on the bench. It will be interesting to see if we can wear out a barrel.

I consistently hear that accuracy degrades at 2500 rounds in 6.5 creedmoor. Gonna be interesting to see if it's true.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by opngrnd View Post
    I consistently hear that accuracy degrades at 2500 rounds in 6.5 creedmoor. Gonna be interesting to see if it's true.
    They'll go when they go. Had 308's go anywhere between 5k and 10k in a stainless barrel. With what's available and the cost, it's going to take a minute and several grand to smoke a 6.5 barrel unless you're tryin' to

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234