Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 16” 6.5 Creedmoor barrel worth it?

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    If using 123 grain or lighter projectiles I wonder if 6.5 CM is worth the bulk over 6.5 Grendel, especially if center of gravity is a motivating factor as one could get away with a somewhat longer barrel on the AR-15 action.

The 142 grain load is in another league however as in that weight the bullets eat up the limited Grendel case capacity.

RifleShooter.com shows 120 grain Creedmore trending toward about 2600 fps from a 16" barrel.

With an 18" Grendel barrel Andy Hobein averaged as much as 2534 fps with Federal ammunition. Other brands were slower.

Man I couldn't tell you jack about how those 120's compare to 123 Scenars...so I don't know.

I'll note that with that 130gr NORMA, I'm seeing 2885-2860fps out of a 24" (Chrono'd a new lot just yesterday in fact). A good baseline for numbers comparison, but not a perfect representation. I do love that resource though.

Again, it comes down to how much you willing to sacrifice?

You want a 120gr 2600+fps out of 16" in a hamstrung large frame?
    or
    you want 120gr maybe 2500 out of an 18" eeking out every thing you can from a small frame?

Then at what point do you stop and start looking at a 6mm?
    Last edited by pointblank4445; 06-21-22 at 16:45.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    Man I couldn't tell you jack about how those 120's compare to 123 Scenars...so I don't know.

I'll note that with that 130gr NORMA, I'm seeing 2885-2860fps out of a 24" (Chrono'd a new lot just yesterday in fact). A good baseline for numbers comparison, but not a perfect representation. I do love that resource though.

Again, it comes down to how much you willing to sacrifice?

You want a 120gr 2600+fps out of 16" in a hamstrung large frame?
    or
    you want 120gr maybe 2500 out of an 18" eeking out every thing you can from a small frame?

Then at what point do you stop and start looking at a 6mm?
    It seems like 130 grain maintains similar velocities compared to the lighter loads starting from 22” down to 16”. In the end everything is a compromise. If you want higher velocities you need a longer barrel, but that compromises maneuverability, and vice versa. I’m willing to sacrifice velocity in the name of maneuverability, because In the end 6.5 Creedmoor still produces velocities similar to 308 when fired from a shorter barrel.

I’ve looked into 6mm ARC, and it seems like people are still ironing out a few bugs (magazines, and bcgs). On top of that factory Ammo is unobtainium where I live, but I see 6.5 Creedmoor at most stores.
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 06-22-22 at 00:59.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    A 16" 6.5 Creedmoor barrel significantly out-performs a 20" .308 barrel.
    I have been shooting "short" 6.5 barrels for about 4 years now. I think that they shine in the 16" area and over 20".
    All depends on your application.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I have been shooting "short" 6.5 barrels for about 4 years now. I think that they shine in the 16" area and over 20".
    What's your bullet preference in this highly questionable endeavor? (just incase Pappabear gets wind of this insanity and I have to think about loading for it)
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    I’ve looked into 6mm ARC, and it seems like people are still ironing out a few bugs (magazines, and bcgs).
    What BCG problems have you heard of with the 6mm ARC?

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    What BCG problems have you heard of with the 6mm ARC?
    Sheared lugs, broken extractors and all the other fun stuff trying to trim off the meat to accept 220 Russian bases into an AR bolt.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Heck yeah!! Your input means a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    Sheared lugs, broken extractors and all the other fun stuff trying to trim off the meat to accept 220 Russian bases into an AR bolt.
    Pretty much sums up what I’ve been reading. I’m sure they’ll figure it out, especially with big names like Geissele putting their weight behind it.

Feedback Score
    What barrel life are you getting with KAC’s uppers? 16 or 20”? How does it compare with .308?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post

Pretty much sums up what I’ve been reading. I’m sure they’ll figure it out, especially with big names like Geissele putting their weight behind it.
    I hypothesize that the 6mm ARC has the same problems that other cartridges before it have suffered.
    1) much hype, big fanfare
    2) handloaders attempt to reproduce the hype, because without the advertised numbers, the cartridge doesn’t make much more sense than existing ones.
    3) everyone discovers that physics still exist.

As an example of this, take a look at published loading data for Valk with 77gr ammo vs published 5.56 data with the same projectiles. Then flash back a few years and remember that it was talked about like a baby 22-250 Fast Twist at introduction due to its increased case capacity. Obviously, it can handle a longer projectile, which is cool.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I hypothesize that the 6mm ARC has the same problems that other cartridges before it have suffered.
    1) much hype, big fanfare
    2) handloaders attempt to reproduce the hype, because without the advertised numbers, the cartridge doesn’t make much more sense than existing ones.
    3) everyone discovers that physics still exist.
    Outstanding post. Much more elegantly put than how I usually just call stupid cartridges "retarded".
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast