Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: 16” 6.5 Creedmoor barrel worth it?

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    Time for an update. Today the Fed-Ex truck delivered a 16” Criterion barrel chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, and a JP 308 bcg with high pressure bolt. I’m waiting on a B5 SOPMOD, SLR adjustable gas block, PRI Gas Buster, PRI handguard, PRI carbine length top rail, and a Dead Air brake. Parts were ordered from Optics Planet, with the handguard and muzzle brake back ordered till mid March. My goal is to build a MK12 mod-H chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. Im getting really excited about this project.
    I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    Time for an update. Today the Fed-Ex truck delivered a 16” Criterion barrel chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, and a JP 308 bcg with high pressure bolt. I’m waiting on a B5 SOPMOD, SLR adjustable gas block, PRI Gas Buster, PRI handguard, PRI carbine length top rail, and a Dead Air brake. Parts were ordered from Optics Planet, with the handguard and muzzle brake back ordered till mid March. My goal is to build a MK12 mod-H chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. Im getting really excited about this project.
    Very intriguing build; looking forward to seeing your results and how she shoots.

-Rainman

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Another update. I purchased a Vortex Strike Eagle 3-18 through their LE/Mil program, and it arrived last week. I then found a set of 34mm 6 screw Nightforce scope rings on a local equipment exchange for $50 less than retail, so I snagged those up real quick. So now it’s come down to waiting on the handguard to come off back order, and to make a final decision on what suppressor I want to buy. I’d love a Surefire 7.62 mini, but I can’t justify spending $1,200 on a suppressor right now. The YHM Resonator R2 is the front runner at the moment, with the Rex Silentium MG10 a close second. Both are full auto rated, both are within my price range, and both are compatible with Q Plan B adapters. My local dealer said they’d sell me a YHM Resonator for $509.00, so I’ll probably just go with that.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

Finally got everything mocked up. Nothing is torqued down, but I couldn’t help myself after finally getting the parts in. I will hopefully perform final assembly next week.

Edit: After receiving the wrong part from PRI, I changed my mind about using a top rail. The scope will be mounted in a Spuhr QD mount.
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 04-07-23 at 22:24.

Feedback Score
    I like the looks of those Stag receivers. Simple and clean. Good looking rifle.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I just picked up a little 16" 6.5 Ruger American compact for my 12 y/o daughter to start hunting with. I'm curious to see what it will do. My experience with 6.5CM is in 22 and 24 inch barrels.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Got it assembled Saturday, and went to an indoor range to sight it in. Unfortunately, I forgot the Allen wrench used to adjust the gas block, so I ended up having feeding issues due to short stroking. It made for a very frustrating, and unsuccessful range trip.

So yesterday morning I went to a local outdoor range to function test, and adjust the gas block as needed. My goal was to adjust the gas block, and get the weapon ready for a return to the indoor range this week. I found the sweet spot for the gas block is 7 clicks out from full closed, so I opened it up one more click to 8 just to be safe. So as of right now, the weapon is functioning as it should with a pretty consistent ejection pattern, and no feeding issues.

Last edited by Hammer_Man; 04-10-23 at 09:17.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    That is a nice looking rig! I feel you on the build issues, Saturday morning I was at the range to do barrel break in on my first precision bolt gun (also in 6.5 Creed, ironically). Almost half of the cheap ammo I took for the purpose of barrel break in wouldn't fire. Hard pass on 6.5 Aguila ammo in the future.
    Last edited by opngrnd; 04-10-23 at 10:46.

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by opngrnd View Post
    Hard pass on 6.5 Aguila ammo in the future.
    Glad your posted this, I was about to order a bunch of Aguila 140gr FMJ just for shooting from my 16in 6.5 AR.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwfuhrman View Post
    Glad your posted this, I was about to order a bunch of Aguila 140gr FMJ just for shooting from my 16in 6.5 AR.
    That's the load I tried. 8 of 20 rounds would not fire. All 30 of my handloads fired today, and they used CCI 450 for primers, which are magnum primers. I'm chaulking it up to Aguila ammo not being the greatest, and a Google search seems to confirm this.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast