Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ammo you won't buy again?

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Independence 5.56mm. Super hot with seemingly soft brass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Before I knew better, back in the mid-1990s I bought some Venezuelan "CAVIM" milsurp 7.62NATO for my M14 type... What crap. I finally sold the rest and bought Radway-Green, etc.

Once bitten... Since then I've been hyper-picky.

The only other incident of buyer's remorse I can remember is Federal's newish "range pack" of 800rnds of .22lr. It's very inconsistent compared to anything from CCI or even Fed's own AutoMatch (I ran all of them over my chrono to make sure I wasn't losing my mind.) The slow rounds are consistently jams in my semi-autos, and that's a jam every 10-20 rounds.
    I've got about 40 rds of Cavim
    ..early 80's IIRC.

Inaccurate or dangerous?

Feedback Score
    Oh. Federal Syntech 147 or maybe 150 gr 9mm.
    Purple bullets.

Less accurate than other ammo I noticed.
    Then I learned it's run through a crimp die that distorts the bullets in the last step of manufacture.

Not buying that again.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've been pretty disappointed with plain jane Federal 9mm 115 grain ball ammo. It's under powered and not particularly accurate--bulk ammo like LAX and UMC run better for me. I still have a few hundred rounds of old Peters .22 that I hate shooting, it's really inconsistent. It's so lousy I'd feel bad giving it away.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    ANYTHING Hornady.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Before I knew better, back in the mid-1990s I bought some Venezuelan "CAVIM" milsurp 7.62NATO for my M14 type... What crap. I finally sold the rest and bought Radway-Green, etc.

Once bitten... Since then I've been hyper-picky.

The only other incident of buyer's remorse I can remember is Federal's newish "range pack" of 800rnds of .22lr. It's very inconsistent compared to anything from CCI or even Fed's own AutoMatch (I ran all of them over my chrono to make sure I wasn't losing my mind.) The slow rounds are consistently jams in my semi-autos, and that's a jam every 10-20 rounds.
    I had a box of the same Federal range pack .22lr and it was horrible. I could tell they were grossly underpowered and then I had a couple of squibs, one of which lodged in the barrel. I emailed Federal and they promptly sent me a return label and reimbursement for the box of ammunition.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    Any commercial reloads. Almost blew up a Glock because I had multiple squibs in one case from Fedammo.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pn3455 View Post
    Any commercial reloads. Almost blew up a Glock because I had multiple squibs in one case from Fedammo.
    I had a minor KB that I suspect was from a double charge in a gun-show reload in a PX4. It stung pretty good. Felt like +P+++++++++, and the case blew out. Gun was fine. Also had a case head separation in a Noveske with brand new ammo that came from a place that also does reman. Never quite figured that out… maybe a fluke.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I had a minor KB that I suspect was from a double charge in a gun-show reload in a PX4. It stung pretty good. Felt like +P+++++++++, and the case blew out. Gun was fine. Also had a case head separation in a Noveske with brand new ammo that came from a place that also does reman. Never quite figured that out… maybe a fluke.
    Maybe. I got lucky and I think there was no charge in the cartridge. Primer ignited and lodged the projectile in the throat. Luckily it would not chamber the next round. I contacted the manufacturer and they basically told me to pound sand. Last time I deal with Fedarm or Fedammo, whatever their name was. I stick to reputable commercial loads only now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    ANYTHING Hornady.
    Why is that?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast