Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The annoying Wylde Chamber explained:

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Just a typo obviously, but I didn't want to alter the actual post if I was quoting the guy.

Now I have to shoot 80s in my annoying ass Wylde Chamber to see what happens.
    Jesus what gun do we have that has a Wylde chamber? My old WOA SPR had one and shot great until it didn’t. That gun was strange.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Jesus what gun do we have that has a Wylde chamber? My old WOA SPR had one and shot great until it didn’t. That gun was strange.

PB
    That Iron Sight rifle stock gun of mine. White Oak barrel on it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This is a response from a world class rifle builder who makes, amongst other things, Camp Perry rifles & barrels. I will not name him as I do not have permission, it was in response to my initial inquires about barrels on a rifle I was putting together at the time.

"The other thing I don't like about your barrel is the chamber. I use a lot of Wylde chambers. It is a great chamber where long seated 80 thru 90 gr. bullets are being used. Those bullets are seated out longer than mag. length and must be fed single by hand into the chamber. (I realize that is not practical in a hunting rifle.) The freebore on the Wylde causes mag. length ammo like your 77's to jump really long distances before they reach the lands. A new Wylde jumps 77's about .079" before they reach the lands. That much jump compromises groups! I try to not use chambers with that much jump. Where did you purchase this barrel? BTW, starting a barrel off with a chamber this long seriously shortens the life of the barrel."
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    That's interesting, and makes sense. Although 77s' ogive is pretty forgiving on jump, I suppose it could be hurting the cause. I know my Wylde won't go sub
    MOA.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    This is a response from a world class rifle builder who makes, amongst other things, Camp Perry rifles & barrels. I will not name him as I do not have permission, it was in response to my initial inquires about barrels on a rifle I was putting together at the time.

"The other thing I don't like about your barrel is the chamber. I use a lot of Wylde chambers. It is a great chamber where long seated 80 thru 90 gr. bullets are being used. Those bullets are seated out longer than mag. length and must be fed single by hand into the chamber. (I realize that is not practical in a hunting rifle.) The freebore on the Wylde causes mag. length ammo like your 77's to jump really long distances before they reach the lands. A new Wylde jumps 77's about .079" before they reach the lands. That much jump compromises groups! I try to not use chambers with that much jump. Where did you purchase this barrel? BTW, starting a barrel off with a chamber this long seriously shortens the life of the barrel."
    The 5.56 is even worse. The designed freebore is .012 less but because the diameter of the freebore is .002" larger the angle starts further from the bullet making the effective freebore .022" longer or .022" more jump. The 5.56 CLE(Compass Lake Eng) was designed to shoot the 77s at mag length.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
    The 5.56 is even worse. The designed freebore is .012 less but because the diameter of the freebore is .002" larger the angle starts further from the bullet making the effective freebore .022" longer or .022" more jump. The 5.56 CLE(Compass Lake Eng) was designed to shoot the 77s at mag length.
    Yes, the same gent was no fan at all of the 5.56 chamber.

"I forgot to comment on the 5.56mm NATO chamber: Worse possible choice unless you are going into REAL combat in a dirty environment! Slop in all directions and a further jump than a Wylde. Just NO reason for a civilian to ever buy a barrel with that chamber!"
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 08-12-22 at 10:46.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Yes, the same gent was no fan at all of the 5.56 chamber.

"I forgot to comment on the 5.56mm NATO chamber: Worse possible choice unless you are going into REAL combat in a dirty environment! Slop in all directions and a further jump than a Wylde. Just NO reason for a civilian to ever buy a barrel with that chamber!"
    That's purist view on the situation. I really don't have a problem shooting the Wylde or 5.56 chamber EXCEPT that the Wylde gives me pressure signs. I don't know that the accuracy issues with my WOA barrel are the chamber or the retards at ADCO's horrendous pinning work. Even at that, I can live with a 1.5 MOA barrel, but not the pressure issues.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That's purist view on the situation. I really don't have a problem shooting the Wylde or 5.56 chamber EXCEPT that the Wylde gives me pressure signs. I don't know that the accuracy issues with my WOA barrel are the chamber or the retards at ADCO's horrendous pinning work. Even at that, I can live with a 1.5 MOA barrel, but not the pressure issues.
    I think you have a bad barrel or headspace issues. I think I've sold around 70,000 barrels with Wylde chambers and I've never had anyone complain about pressure issues. I used Black Hills MK262 ammo to check accuracy from 2008 to 2017.
    Last edited by constructor; 08-12-22 at 16:31.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Shot F class today with the 80s we leave out at the ranch. Pretty fun. I came in 3rd place and there was only two of us. Still had a blast.

Feedback Score
    nvrmnd
    Last edited by OutofBatt3ry; 08-14-22 at 22:46.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast