Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The annoying Wylde Chamber explained:

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I doubt I’ve ever had xx193xx of any variety that shot better than 3-4 MOA.

I still have a case of it in storage because shooting it is a frustrating experience.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post

I still have a case of it in storage because shooting it is a frustrating experience.
    Any time I get any of it, I tear it down and make Mexican Match out of it. The ammo is irrational wear and tear on your rifle.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Any time I get any of it, I tear it down and make Mexican Match out of it. The ammo is irrational wear and tear on your rifle.
    That’s a good idea, I do like LC brass. (Which is what the XM193 I have is loaded in.)

I’m swimming in 556 brass right now so that would be a lot of work.

No, it isn’t Lapua, but it seems to last longer than the average WWB brass I’ve tried reloading.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have a dedicated collect bullet pulling press. It's a lot of work, but worth it. I set the press up when Iraqgunz gave me this Effed up batch of Israeli 5.56 ammo. I mean the worst ammo I've ever seen... a mixture of all kinds of stuff you would NEVER shoot in your gun. I scrapped it all and salvaged what I could over several weeks.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post

The Federal M193 I picked up roughly 12 years ago shoots 2-1/2 MOA at 300 yards out of two of my RRA carbines. I can consistently shoot sub 7" groups. Malaysian M193 I picked up around the same time frame will shoot about the same.

I no longer have any South African M193 on hand. My rifle/carbine logs show, at best, it shot 12"-13" groups at 300 yards with my rifles and carbines.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Correct.

Bill Wylde put his chamber and leade dimensions between .223 Match and 5.56mm. He was able to squeeze excellent precision from 62-grain Canadian 5.56mm military ammunition.

Frank White of Compass Lake has a rapid-fire reamer well-recognized for maximum precision with 69s and 77s. For 80-grain Sierras the seating depth is around 2.450 with a new barrel.

The USAMU uses Colt's .mil 5.56mm reamer to long-load the 80-grain Sierra Match King at 2.500 inches -- this allows for the long-taper bullet to get a running start at the rifling leade without a chamber pressure spike.

The Wylde chamber is tighter than the 5.56 chamber with shorter leade angle. Try seating an 80 SMK to 2.455 when new.
    The Wylde has a longer freebore than a 5.56 but the diameter is smaller to align the bullets on the bore better.

Attachment 68322
    I've shot every kind of 5.56 ammo available out of Wylde chambered barrels with no issues. I've shot the same ammo out of the 5.56 CLE chamber with no issues and none of it is as hot as my own 62gr gold dot load, 26.0gr CFE lake city brass, Russian primers and Gold dot set to 2.248" I run a .073" port on a midgas 16" 5.56 CLE chamber barrel with a red spring and H2 buffer and it locks back, the real 5.56 M193 or 855 ammo doesn't even lock back.
    Last edited by constructor; 06-17-22 at 21:43. Reason: photo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I've never got my White Oak to get sub moa. But in fairness it's an old complete upper built by those baffoons at ADCO. Their horrific pinning probably destroyed the barrel's accuracy.

Many wylde chamber barrels (including mine) don't play well with 5.56 pressure ammo. Popped primers, bulges, and swipes much more common.
    Have you checked your headspace and gas port size, something doesn't sound right.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
    The Wylde has a longer freebore than a 5.56 but the diameter is smaller to align the bullets on the bore better.

Attachment 68322
    I've shot every kind of 5.56 ammo available out of Wylde chambered barrels with no issues. I've shot the same ammo out of the 5.56 CLE chamber with no issues and none of it is as hot as my own 62gr gold dot load, 26.0gr CFE lake city brass, Russian primers and Gold dot set to 2.248" I run a .073" port on a midgas 16" 5.56 CLE chamber barrel with a red spring and H2 buffer and it locks back, the real 5.56 M193 or 855 ammo doesn't even lock back.
    The chart was helpful. Do you have any idea what chamber reamer dimensions Colt used back in the 1990's?
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post

Attachment 68322
    I’m sure you already know a good bit about this, but CFE223 produces a lot of gas drive at safe chamber pressures. 26gr with a 62gr bullet probably has another grain and a half to go till max. Hornady lists 27.7gr (double-check that before loading, work up, etc.) with their 62s. I’m pretty happy with 26gr and 62gr FMJs for 0-300m, myself, and thats one of my high-volume loads for the progressive. Runs in anything, shoots straight, doesn’t beat up the gun or brass.

Most any gun will run on (but provide poor precision) only 24gr, which is right about starting, but like I said its a gassy powder. I tested that in a lightly gassed extended midlength 16” a couple years ago.

On the chrono, more recently:

16” Geissele/Sandman K

M855 (real, not XM or other commercial)
    Av 2937
    Es 85
    Sd 26.6

26.0gr CFE223/Hornady 62FMJ
    Av 2735
    Es 49
    Sd 15.4

Same day; same temp. Anyway, I wouldn’t consider 26gr CFE223 to be hotter than .mil ammo just because it locks back, in a discussion about chambers. Of course, powder lots can vary a bit, though they’ve been pretty consistent for me.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    The chart was helpful. Do you have any idea what chamber reamer dimensions Colt used back in the 1990's?
    I don't but they should have been standard 5.56 chambers, I had one that shot well for a chrome lined barrel. 69gr FGMM ammo was good for 3/4" at 100yds.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast