Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The annoying Wylde Chamber explained:

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    My comments here would be the following, randomly presented:
    1. I don't recall ever seeing a primer pop in a 5.56 chamber. Now this is based only on examining guns that DID pop primers, and of those, all were found to have "not 5.56" chambers.

2. Although my lifelong study is not yet over and is based on what different guns do or seem to do, as opposed to actual laboratory research, .223 Wylde seems to me to be OK with 5.56 ammo. Logic tells me it ought to be but I leaned a long time ago that actual result trump the most logical predictions (when Dad torched a drive shaft off a truck I was shocked that it was tubular and not solid. 8-YO-Me: Dad, you guys got gypped on that drive shaft! Dad: They're all that way.)

3. Many don't agree that .223W is good with 5.56. If that has been their experience I can't say they are wrong. I hear that from time to time but I don't recall every experiencing it.

4. As to what chamber a barrel really, truly has, the one and only best way is to make a cast. What is stamped on it seems "chiseled right there into barrel steel, must be true" but it's really written in Crayon on flash paper (I mean, depending on the source).

5. Going back to 4., if well over half the guns I examine in class have "not 5.56" chambers when they are stamped or engraved 5.56, I conclude that barrels marked ".223 Wylde" may not have that actual chamber. So I hesitate to judge a barrel too harshly unless I can confirm the chamber config.

6. .223 W barrels popping primers might indeed have some other issue or issues. My opinions of the options there:
    6a: Overgassed. I feel safe in saying overgassed, undergassed, or even no gas port at all, does not contribute to popped primers. Whatever is popping the primers has happened and is long over by the time
    the bullet reaches the gas port. Overgassed would relieve pressure from the barrel more, it anything.
    6b: Nobody said this but I often hear it: "they are being cheap with the reamers and are resharpening them, that makes them undersized, that makes the chamber tight, that pops primers." I don't work in a
    barrel factory but I know toolmaking and trigonometry and have consulted two reamer makers on this: no one uses a resharpened reamer because to resharpen it you would have to move everything so far
    back that it would not be practical or economical.
    6c: Short / long headspace, I will agree that could maybe have some effect on pressure but shockingly with all the other stuff that gunmakers and barrel makers get wrong, I very, very seldom see headspace
    issues.
    6d: If chambers can be off by tens of thousandths of an inch on the lengths, who's to say the land and/or groove diameter can't be maybe .001 too tight? Haven't heard of it, but it could happen.
    When we are working with a total .006 interference fit between the bullet (.224") and the barrel bore diameter (.218ish), .001 on the land /groove diameters is a significant percentage. This would
    be pretty hard to detect.

7. Everything has a tolerance. Even a perfect chamber can be on the large or small end of its tolerance. My opinion is that a true 5.56 chambers is not going to pop primers even if it's at the low limit for
    diameters and lengths.

8. Back to chamber casts. Major pain in the ass, very technique intensive and time consuming, but it is the ultimate. Examining a chamber with a bore scope works pretty well as a field expedient, if
    you have a borescope, of course. I've been enjoying the use of a Lyman Digital BoreCam for several years now and it's not the be all, end-all optically, and you can't measure diameters with it but it's pretty
    easy to "read" freebore length. I "taught" my BoreCam to "measure" lengths. I laid the lens next to a machinist's scale, and on the display screen I Sharpied tic marks coinciding with every .010".
    This makes a crude optical comparitor and it's not up to National Bureau of Standards spec maybe but you can easily tell a .223 Rem from anything else. Also you can just sort of compare lengths to
    groove widths--a standard that seems pretty universally adhered to-- which, I hesitate to go from memory but I think it's .073. So you can look at that width and kinda compare it to some lengths.
    BoreCams and very reasonably priced, I just got the new one that uses your phone for a screen, have not had time yet to fire it up.

9: I'm with everyone here in the quest for .5MOA groups. I'm not up to the level of many of you in many of the aspects of this quest but I gotta say that I have had very satisfactory groups with a true 5.56
    chamber. I have zero barrels with .223 Remington chambers; in my range experiences I can't say I've seen a world of dif between .223W and 5.56. I have not ever personally popped a primer in a .223W
    chamber. I'll grantcha that among National Champs at Camp Perry there are zero 5.56 chambers in use.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Thanks for the informative post Ned. I actually enjoyed shooting my Wylde gun yesterday. Hadn't had it out in a few months.

Interesting point on the rareness of headspace issues. I see guys suggesting this as a problem all the time here, and I've never seen it on any AR15 guns we've ran.

It's something you can tell pretty easily when you hand load... I have seen it in bolt gun for sure. Just yesterday I ran some Lapua brass cased 6.5 CM loads that hadn't been sized at all from their last firing (except for the neck). They were really tight in one Bergara chamber, and dropped right into another Bergara chamber like they were factory loads.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Shot F class today with the 80s we leave out at the ranch. Pretty fun. I came in 3rd place and there was only two of us. Still had a blast.

Those 80's almost look like 300 worthless in that pic. I've only shot 77's and those 80's look Super Sized in that picture.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 08-15-22 at 11:43.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Those 80's almost look like 300 worthless in that pic. I've only shot 77's and those 80's look Super Sized in that picture.
    They're a mild H322 load. I've loaded these bullets stupid hot before. They're only fun to shoot for about 5-10 rounds. Single feeding is for the birds.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    My comments here would be the following, randomly presented:
    1. I don't recall ever seeing a primer pop in a 5.56 chamber. Now this is based only on examining guns that DID pop primers, and of those, all were found to have "not 5.56" chambers.

***SNIP***

3. Many don't agree that .223W is good with 5.56. If that has been their experience I can't say they are wrong. I hear that from time to time but I don't recall every experiencing it.

4. As to what chamber a barrel really, truly has, the one and only best way is to make a cast. What is stamped on it seems "chiseled right there into barrel steel, must be true" but it's really written in Crayon on flash paper (I mean, depending on the source).
    1,3) To reinforce your point, the only times I can remember popping primers in a proper 5.56 chamber (I have your gauge), it has been from bad ammo. As to Wylde, I’ve got a couple buddies that shoot a lot with barrels so marked, including actual (not XM) M855 and M855a1, and lots of XM, Barnes, Black Hills, etc, with no problems, except with aforementioned bad ammo. I’ve done the same with Noveske 5.56 Match Mod 0, which is similar to Wylde. While I retain enough skepticism to prefer 5.56 chambers, particularly since I can verify that, I’ve concluded that Wylde is probably fine.

4) Not all 5.56 marked barrels pass a check with your gauge. I’ve wondered myself if worn reamers could be the cause.

I think that you are right that not all bores are created equally, given that I also have a Lyman bore cam.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    They're a mild H322 load. I've loaded these bullets stupid hot before. They're only fun to shoot for about 5-10 rounds. Single feeding is for the birds.
    Mark- may I axe what velocities you were getting with both mild & stupid hot loads? Is recoil noticeably diferent?
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Mark- may I axe what velocities you were getting with both mild & stupid hot loads? Is recoil noticeably diferent?
    I'll have to check when I get home. The H322 load in the pic above is 22.2 gr and not very hot at all. I know I cranked up some TAC loads that blew a piece of the primer into the Rem 700s firing pin hole and shut the gun down until Pappabear could tear it apart at home.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'll have to check when I get home. The H322 load in the pic above is 22.2 gr and not very hot at all. I know I cranked up some TAC loads that blew a piece of the primer into the Rem 700s firing pin hole and shut the gun down until Pappabear could tear it apart at home.
    Thank you brother- dont go to a lot of trouble. Thats a lot of pressure on the 700, too..wow.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Thank you brother- dont go to a lot of trouble. Thats a lot of pressure on the 700, too..wow.
    You should have saw how fast we pushed the 85 gr barnes before a case burst.

Anyway found it!

80 gr sierra, 25.2 gr TAC, 2885 FPS. Note says "Pierced primers, too hot" 6/16/2019

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You should have saw how fast we pushed the 85 gr barnes before a case burst.

Anyway found it!

80 gr sierra, 25.2 gr TAC, 2885 FPS. Note says "Pierced primers, too hot" 6/16/2019
    Good Lord man! Were yall "remote firing" that thing?!

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast