Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primary Arms SLx vs GLx models

Feedback Score

Primary Arms SLx vs GLx models

As I understand it Primary Arms make three versions of most of their scopes SLx being the base model, GLx is their mid price range scopes and PLx are their premier models I like Primary Arms ACCS Reticle. There are two ACSS-RAPTOR Reticles, that I like. I prefer the midrange GLx model but it is not 1-8 and not night vision compatible
    the base SLx model is. There is no 1-8 GLX models. Looking to see if there is a reason not to get the SLx other than it’s made in China. Anyone have both Primary Arms GLx and SLx models. Or have you had the opportunity compare the two models? If so I’d appreciate hearing your opinion. Thanks

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    PA teased a GLx 1-10x last winter, but the prototypes weren't up to par, so it went back to the drawing board and they recently released the GLx 1-6x and an updated PLx 1-8x. The PLx 1-8x has received some solid reviews and I would lean that way over the PLx version, just for the glass alone. There are a couple other 1-8x out there with higher price points to be considered as well, especially the NF ATACR. For reference, I have a SLx 1-6x and GLx 2.5-10x that I really like, but is a little lacking in edge to edge clarity, but is otherwise a solid optic. The SLx 1-6x is a great budget minded optic and does well in its price range, but it isn't a Razor 1-6x by any means.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Here's a comparison of the 1-6 and 1-8 slx.

https://youtu.be/JqPC-6xO7mM

The Glx is gonna have glass from another country. If glass quality is important than get the Glx. That's not to say the slx is bad (I own one) but when the magnification goes past 6x the glass quality starts becoming apparent. I think of the SLX line as being good entry level budget optics. They will hold zero and the glass is good enough to start shooting at distance. When you actually get serious though about glass quality as you develop as a shooter then you will understand why spending more on optics isn't foolish. Personally I would rather have a higher quality glass thats lower magnification than a low quality piece of glass at high magnification.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I haven't looked through a platinum, but have looked through silver and gold that were similar magnification ranges and the gold glass looked much better.

The gold locking turrets were nice from a simple they seemed to work as claimed standpoint.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I believe the Gold's use Japanese glass assembled in the Philippines and the Platinum's are Japanese glass assembled in Japan so glasswise should be close. Problem is they don't make a Gold 1x8.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    I don't have experience with all the PA range, but FWIW I have a GLx 2.5 - 10 on my MWS. The glass isn't as clear as a high end scope certainly, but it's quite good for the money. So far I'm happy, it is sound mechanically and it tracks properly. I don't think you can go wrong with one at the price. Time will tell, I haven't been able to get out as much with it as I'd like, due to an illness that has knocked me on my old butt. I'll update when able. Wayne

Feedback Score

Thanks for the video & input

Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    Here's a comparison of the 1-6 and 1-8 slx.

https://youtu.be/JqPC-6xO7mM
    Personally I would rather have a higher quality glass thats lower magnification than a low quality piece of glass at high magnification.
    The side by side comparison is real helpful. You’re right on the money. I’m new to long range shooting, nor do Expect to e er be an expert marksman look for 1/4 groups at a 1,000 yards. If I can consistently make minute of man or 5 inch groups at 600 hell 300 yards, I’ll be a happy camper. So high end optics would be wasted on me at this point. What I like about the ACSS is the intuitive range estimation. Allowing me to quickly engage targets at various ranges. Once I’m adept at that, better quality glass will be warranted.

Q

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by drtywk View Post
    For reference, I have a SLx 1-6x and GLx 2.5-10x that I really like, but is a little lacking in edge to edge clarity, but is otherwise a solid optic. The SLx 1-6x is a great budget minded optic and does well in its price range, but it isn't a Razor 1-6x by any means.
    Do you see any downside of a 2.5X10 vs 1X6? Especially at ranges closer than 50 yards. I got the SLx decided to go with a GLx. I like ACSS-Raptor-M2 Reticle on the GLX 2.5X10 for its simplicity over the more complex 1X6 ACSS Raptor-M6 Reticle. Any reason any reason why I should reconsider my reticle choice?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    I believe the Gold's use Japanese glass assembled in the Philippines and the Platinum's are Japanese glass assembled in Japan so glasswise should be close. Problem is they don't make a Gold 1x8.
    A part of my opting for GLx over the SLx is I could not get past the thinking made by America’s enemy every time I looked through it. Which may have clouded my opinion of it. Not to say it wasn’t a nice scope in my uniformed / inexperienced opinion. But it does lack some of the features and quality of the GLx that I’ve read / watched. FWIW they do make a 1x6 and a 2.5X10 GLx.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Do you see any downside of a 2.5X10 vs 1X6? Especially at ranges closer than 50 yards. I got the SLx decided to go with a GLx. I like ACSS-Raptor-M2 Reticle on the GLX 2.5X10 for its simplicity over the more complex 1X6 ACSS Raptor-M6 Reticle. Any reason any reason why I should reconsider my reticle choice?
    A 1-6x scope is measurably faster than a 2.5-10x at ranges under 50 yards. I have a Vortex PST 1-6 and a PST 2.5-10x32 FFP scope with a (IMHO) well designed reticle and there really is no comparison.

On the flip side, (again IMHO) a MPVO is a lot more enjoyable to use at, say, 6x than a 1-6x LPVO. I my case I am comparing the PST Gen I 2.5-10x to the Gen II 1-6x. The small objective lens on an LPVO results in a smaller exit pupil. I am sure the more expensive LPVOs are better, but you cannot change physics.

I cannot comment on the reticles.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 09-20-22 at 07:41.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast