Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TR 24 or Vortex PST Gen II 1-6? (EDIT - Picked the PST II)

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

TR 24 or Vortex PST Gen II 1-6? (EDIT - Picked the PST II)

I am still working on optics for ARs and am looking to upgrade my current 1-4 Accupower. The main problem I have with that scope is the reticle is not daylight bright and is too fine/not bold enough. The reticle is keeping the gun out of the HD safe, in fact.

I would like to have a LPVO more akin to a RDS at 1x and struggle with a non-magnified optic much past 50-100 meters.

Scope will be mounted on a GP 16" AR and max range would be 300 M with the majority of shooting 200 M and in. The reticle must work with a weaponlight.

I have been eyeing the TR 24 for years now, it seems to have proven itself durable and the triangle post reticle seems ideal for my needs. Best price is $650-700. It may be fair to say they are a bit dated.

On the other hand, the PST Gen II seems to have better glass, a usable reticle, daylight bright reticle, and is $150-200 less. It is much heavier, though, and requires a battery.

I would grab a 1-6 Trijicon TR25, but I could practically buy 2 PSTs for the same price, and the same goes for a Razor, NF, etc.

If you had to choose between the TR 24 (red triangle) and the PST II 1-6, which would you pick?

Thank You

Andy

P.S. I understand that a RDS and LPVO at 1X are not the same animal. Current AR optics are AP Pro, MRO, Trijicon Accupower 1-4, Nikon Black 1-4, PST 2.5-10x32.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 09-17-22 at 18:19.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have no direct experience with the TR24 or PST II, but have heard good things about the latter. I recently picked up a used P4Xi for $300 and find it to be a quality item with a decent reticle, and daylight visible dot.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallDodge View Post
    I have no direct experience with the TR24 or PST II, but have heard good things about the latter. I recently picked up a used P4Xi for $300 and find it to be a quality item with a decent reticle, and daylight visible dot.
    I would Take a look at the Delta Stryker 1-6 as well. $200 more than the PST 2, but very good scope

http://darnfineshot.com/deopsthd130t.html

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    The Stryker looks really appealing to me.

I haven’t used the TR24, but I like the TR25. And the PST2 was a pig.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I have both.
    The TR24 is on a 14.5” carbine, the PST is on a shelf.
    The “German Post”, or whatever their reticle is called, is a poor choice for “Kentucky Windage” as the post covers most of what I’m trying to hit past 300 yds. On 1X, with Green Triangle it is very quick for me.
    USPSA Steel to 300 is certainly doable, due to using head as hold point for close to center torso hits.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    I have a TR24 and 25 and a 1-6 Razor which both have exceptional glass. I don’t think I have ever read before that the PST series has better glass than an Accupoint.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I have both.
    The TR24 is on a 14.5” carbine, the PST is on a shelf.
    The “German Post”, or whatever their reticle is called, is a poor choice for “Kentucky Windage” as the post covers most of what I’m trying to hit past 300 yds. On 1X, with Green Triangle it is very quick for me.
    USPSA Steel to 300 is certainly doable, due to using head as hold point for close to center torso hits.
    This is great info. 300 would be max range for me.

Quote Originally Posted by uffdaphil View Post
    I have a TR24 and 25 and a 1-6 Razor which both have exceptional glass. I don’t think I have ever read before that the PST series has better glass than an Accupoint.
    I have seen reviews that claim the PST II glass is better than the TR24. I may have misunderstood and I certainly don't claim to know. Its good to know if thats not true.

The PST 1-6 is significantly less expensive (~ 20%) than the TR24, but not overwhelmingly so.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 09-12-22 at 16:58.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    I would Take a look at the Delta Stryker 1-6 as well. $200 more than the PST 2, but very good scope

http://darnfineshot.com/deopsthd130t.html
    That is more like $350 over a demo PST II 1-6. At that price point, I would pick up a TR25.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    That is more like $350 over a demo PST II 1-6. At that price point, I would pick up a TR25.

Andy
    Yea, it does look like the price went up. They were closer to $700 last year . This is a pretty good Youtube video of some options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHSRZtJA8mg

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Seriously, you are looking at a TR24 in 2022? The TR24 was my first LPVO back in late 2000's. Technology has improved quite a bit since then. You might as well get a Red Dot + Magnifier combo at this point if you are looking at the TR24.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast