Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder bag

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    I have read a lot of negative comments about magazine couplers here. I presume yoni has something else in mind.
    Old school Israel. You took 2 mags, 1 piece of 5.56 brass, 100mph tape, and away you go. This way when you were off duty, you still had 60 rounds on board.

I have had incidents where I burned through a ton of ammo, the most in an off duty incident was like 17 mags for my mini Uzi. That was a night, that I thought would be my last. But I carried a shoulder bag with all the mags in it and then the mini and my Hi Power.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3 AE View Post
    Another simple rig would be an O.S.O.E. PALS Micro Rig. The smallest one is three rows high and eight columns wide of PALS webbing. It measure 7" high and 13" wide. It was designed to use the shoulder straps in an X pattern across the back, but I just use one of the shoulder straps and clip into the upper two buckles in a bandoleer fashion. I also use a 1" waist strap clipped into the two lower buckles to keep it close in. You can attach a couple of mag pouches, a spare pistol mag pouch, a tourniquet holder, and a small IFAK or whatever pouch set-up to satisfy your requirements. It just takes a second to don and you're pretty much backed up for your primary and secondary weapons.

https://www.originalsoegear.com/coll...pals-micro-rig
    Yeah, these are good setups, build like a brick shithouse. I have 3 different ones...the PALS, M4/AK and the shotgun. The M4/AK is setup for my AK as a shoulder bag. I use an H-harness for the other two. I really like the shotgun one a lot, I removed the inside shotgun cards and run two Aridus detachable carriers there instead. I can feed from the rig or recharge the side saddle and feed from the receiver, great little rig.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I really despise shoulder bags of any type for anything other than range gear or home/strongpoint storage, but....

Quote Originally Posted by Kadelic View Post
    Check out the BFG Ten Speed 6-Pack Bandolier. Easy to throw over your shoulder. I keep one with just 3 mags in it handy.

https://www.blueforcegear.com/ten-sp...bandolier.html
    This, or something like the old-school Eagle Ind. bandolier, or a claymore bag, is also what I first thought of when I saw the original post. A few bags like that also have a simple waist strap to keep it from flopping madly about which would be something I'd refuse to get a shoulder bag without, even a light one.

Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    https://hawkepaks.com/products/itoa-survival-kit

Most of the things mentioned I find are way to heavy/bulky.

This Hawkepak bag is my favorite and was developed as a quick grab bag with the basics for LEO....

............They have a velcro flap on the back that you can sling it over your shoulder and then run the flap through your belt to keep them from swinging/flopping around if needed.
    That is one of the very few side bags I've ever seen I'd consider getting - big enough to fit a short-response set of go-to essentials, but still small enough to not be a "blob".
    Per bolded, I'm guessing with a bit of 1" webbing/sliders/fastex clip buckle, it would be quite easy to add a simple anti-swing waist strap, instead of having to try to stuff something under a tight belt.

There is a very small Tactical Tailor (milspec monkey) backpack that I use on almost any trip, and also have one in my vehicle with rain jacket, snacks, flashlight, multi-tool, etc. They were designed to piggyback onto larger packs and I have them set up where I can do that or have it hang from the back of my seat...............
    Yeah, the ADAPT pack is a severely underrated pack - I had a couple once, and while some features could still be better executed, for the money to size/feature ration, you (almost) couldn't beat them. They even wore reasonably well over armor.

Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post

ETA: I have these mag clips on my bedside magazines that way I can just slide them into my waistband and go.

https://www.cryeprecision.com/Produc...gclip-set-of-3
    Crye mag clips are another underrated sleeper accessory that are more handy for "underwear-band-carry" than one might think.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 AE View Post
    Another simple rig would be an O.S.O.E. PALS Micro Rig.........
    https://www.originalsoegear.com/coll...pals-micro-rig
    Unfortunately for the OP, you may be waiting an ungodly amount of time to get one with their no-stated-ETA ordering policy. So of the OP wants something now (or ever), well.... good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    Old school Israel. You took 2 mags, 1 piece of 5.56 brass, 100mph tape, and away you go. This way when you were off duty, you still had 60 rounds on board....
    The perfect accessory for that classic CAR15 with screw-hole carry-handle mounted tube dot sight.
    However, I was under the impression that mag couplers of all sorts fell out of fashion due to issues with the top round[s] drifting out of the mag under recoil/movement/bumps/etc, and then screwing you over when you went to reload....???

Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    I have a hard time understanding the need for a bag.

AR with a double mag set up in the rifle gives you 60 rounds of ammo. Do you really think in the USA today, you will need more?
    In the USA of like, maybe a couple months, end of year, who really knows, yeah maybe...
    I was not under the impression anyone buys all this expensive equipment and training because they are safe today.
    Also, the ability to carry other stuff like a handheld light, med kit, cell phone, etc, to anywhere in your house/property, is a truly underrated capability.
    I mean, to twist the old adage, "when you are bleeding out at your front door, your IFAK is only ten yards away".
    That being said I got to agree that my point here for HD is for a small bag/battle belt not a giant do-all "blob" bag. Beyond that we're getting into other usage scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by omegajb View Post
    You might want to consider a battle belt. It gives you the ability to mount magazines, a flashlight and first aid.

I think having to swim into a bag at 0300 might not as easy as just clipping a cobra buckle.
    ^^^
    This.
    Especially the more old-school padded molle belt type (not the new slimified webbing types).
    Fast to get on, less slosh than a side bag. And if you keep some extra pouches around, can be plussed up for other uses later, or ICW a chest rig/PC.
    I got sick of battle belts a while back and ditched them, BUT this is the one application I could see going back to it.

OR a tactical fanny pack...
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post

(Regarding the Hawkepak IOTA...)
    That is one of the very few side bags I've ever seen I'd consider getting - big enough to fit a short-response set of go-to essentials, but still small enough to not be a "blob".
    Per bolded, I'm guessing with a bit of 1" webbing/sliders/fastex clip buckle, it would be quite easy to add a simple anti-swing waist strap, instead of having to try to stuff something under a tight belt.
    I think folks are missing the point that a claymore bag, six mag bandelier, etc are all wider and do not have the flexibility that the IOTA has. I'm guessing they didn't look at the picture.

There is no fumbling for mags, as it has two external mag pouches that are very easy to access with removable velcro flaps if you don't want to fool with them.

And it's got just enough room inside for some pistol mags, a flashlight maybe a tourniquet. Or you can stuff it with additional mags as it's exactly the right width to hold 30 rounders vertically side by side. (But that's not something I do for home defense setup)

I do have a bunch of the 6 mag bandoliers that I got cheap and also 6 mag Molly's that I could use like a bandolier with a shoulder strap. They are a handy way to store mags, but just not that useful to me in a home defense situation as I can't envision any scenario that I would be needing over 90 rounds based on a noise in the middle of the night.

Yeah, the ADAPT pack is a severely underrated pack - I had a couple once, and while some features could still be better executed, for the money to size/feature ration, you (almost) couldn't beat them. They even wore reasonably well over armor.
    My main gripe is that it's easy to leave the outside pocket unzipped and have stuff fall out. I've learned to check it, but I think a different zipper approach would have worked better. That said, the side zipper is very handy as that pocket has loop and I sometimes carry a BUG there.

I am really bad about buying oversized packs, especially ones without frames. So I've learned that bigger is usually not better when you're not backpacking.

The ADAPT pack can carry a rolled up rain jacket, a light fleece, a water bottle, some snack bars, a small first aid kit, a USB battery charger and small cable, etc. And still not be too bulky or heavy.

So I keep one in my vehicle. But I also use another one extensively when I travel. One of mine in a non-tactical color has been in a dozen countries.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Keep up the good discussion gentlemen. I am learning as you go.

Feedback Score
    Anyone run the T Rex arms active shooter bag? Looks like a decent set up.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Unfortunately for the OP, you may be waiting an ungodly amount of time to get one with their no-stated-ETA ordering policy. So of the OP wants something now (or ever), well.... good luck.
    That is true. I have a bunch of O.S.O.E. gear but most of I bought on the used market. I wouldn't deal with him under the current setup, sorry but I'm not going following along on Faceplant and groupie ordering whatever diaper bag is being spit out.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I really despise shoulder bags of any type for anything other than range gear or home/strongpoint storage, but....

<snip>

^^^
    This.
    Especially the more old-school padded molle belt type (not the new slimified webbing types).
    Fast to get on, less slosh than a side bag. And if you keep some extra pouches around, can be plussed up for other uses later, or ICW a chest rig/PC.
    I got sick of battle belts a while back and ditched them, BUT this is the one application I could see going back to it.

OR a tactical fanny pack...
    The down side to battle belts here is they are typically sized to go over pants and often these days have an inner belt so unless you also have suspenders they can hit the dirt when more or less "robed" where as a shoulder bag you just loop over your head and its not going anywhere. Be afraid of the naked man with the gun he's probably pissed off you are ****ing with his sleep.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    This is part of the reason I keep an old Tactical Tailor MAV around with an H-Harness. 4 AR mags, a couple of pistol mags, and a small admin pouch with a TQ and misc. Easy to toss on or grab and go.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Shoulder bag

Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    The down side to battle belts here is they are typically sized to go over pants and often these days have an inner belt so unless you also have suspenders they can hit the dirt when more or less "robed" where as a shoulder bag you just loop over your head and its not going anywhere. Be afraid of the naked man with the gun he's probably pissed off you are ****ing with his sleep.
    I don’t know what particular belt you’re using, but my HSGI can be tighten by pulling the tail.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast