Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Shoulder bag

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    I think folks are missing the point that a claymore bag, six mag bandelier, etc are all wider and do not have the flexibility that the IOTA has. I'm guessing they didn't look at the picture.
    There is no fumbling for mags, as it has two external mag pouches that are very easy to access with removable velcro flaps if you don't want to fool with them.

And it's got just enough room inside for some pistol mags, a flashlight maybe a tourniquet. Or you can stuff it with additional mags as it's exactly the right width to hold 30 rounders vertically side by side. (But that's not something I do for home defense setup)...........
    Maybe just fog of internet, but yes, that is exactly the point[s] I was agreeing with in regard to the IOTA bag.
    Like I said, that's all why it's one of the few "rapid response" side bags I'd ever consider.

My main gripe is that it's easy to leave the outside pocket unzipped and have stuff fall out. I've learned to check it, but I think a different zipper approach would have worked better. That said, the side zipper is very handy as that pocket has loop and I sometimes carry a BUG there.

I am really bad about buying oversized packs, especially ones without frames. So I've learned that bigger is usually not better when you're not backpacking.

The ADAPT pack can carry a rolled up rain jacket, a light fleece, a water bottle, some snack bars, a small first aid kit, a USB battery charger and small cable, etc. And still not be too bulky or heavy.

So I keep one in my vehicle. But I also use another one extensively when I travel. One of mine in a non-tactical color has been in a dozen countries.
    Yeah, that's similar to what I did with my ADAPT - I liked the slightly larger internal capacity Vs a Yote style beavertail bag, because it allowed me to go from "light assault pack" to "go to town" bag without having to strap all sorts of other pouches to it to get a larger capacity.

I actually liked the side-zip configuration on the secondary compartment - as you mentioned it's velcro backed, so you could slap a holster in there for town use, or stick 3-4 rifle mags in a BFG velcro-backed mag pouch for assault pack use- they fit perfectly to slide out the side of the bag, and left the rest of the pocket open for other stuff. But then, I never filled that pocket with small things so, stuff falling out was not an issue for me.
    What I personally hated about the ADAPT was the inner bottle pockets, and the meh molle configuration on the sides.

Yeah, I think a lot of people that buy really large packs for "go to town/EDC/Bail out bags" would rapidly come to their senses once they actually put the thing in their vehicle. IMO, there is very much a "to small to be useful" threshold as well, but once you spend a little time either trying to heave a massive bag out of the car during a training drill (especially as you mentioned, non-framed. Ouch...), OR trying to maneuver it around inside the car to get stuff out of it while in the vehicle... it becomes rapidly apparent you got to get brutal with your packing list if you want the concept to actually work.
    This is what cratered my "brilliant" plans for an SBR bag - once I added even a simple selection of "go to town" stuff (not even getting to a "walk home bag"), it was just getting massive.

Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    The down side to battle belts here is they are typically sized to go over pants and often these days have an inner belt so unless you also have suspenders they can hit the dirt when more or less "robed" where as a shoulder bag you just loop over your head and its not going anywhere.
    Well, not exactly- the BB's I was talking about ARE the 'old school" molle sleeve/inner belt type. Not sure about all brands, but HSGI's Sure Grip comes in multiple sizes.
    Other outer molle sleeves I've seen for use with an innet belt also aren't long enough to fully wrap around me by themselves (and I am pretty skinny), so it's still up to adjusting the inner belt to get the sizing right.
    So, there are options for a BB to use when trying to be mean fast and nekkid.
    Since the end user for this sort of use is not going for a full light-infantry style load, a little less molle space shouldn't be an issue, and won't require suspenders for weight.
    Last edited by Jellybean; 06-23-22 at 17:43.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    I don’t know what particular belt you’re using, but my HSGI can be tighten by pulling the tail.
    Have a link to that belt?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    Have a link to that belt?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    https://www.highspeedgear.com/31bv0-...v0-31id0-31idv

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    Maybe just fog of internet, but yes, that is exactly the point[s] I was agreeing with in regard to the IOTA bag.
    Like I said, that's all why it's one of the few "rapid response" side bags I'd ever consider.
    Sorry, I must not have been clear... I understood you had a similar point of view. I was referring to prior comments

I actually liked the side-zip configuration on the secondary compartment - as you mentioned it's velcro backed, so you could slap a holster in there for town use, or stick 3-4 rifle mags in a BFG velcro-backed mag pouch for assault pack use- they fit perfectly to slide out the side of the bag, and left the rest of the pocket open for other stuff. But then, I never filled that pocket with small things so, stuff falling out was not an issue for me.
    I've mainly seen it when using the adapt pack as a carryon/travel bag where I'd be in and out of that pocket quite a bit, often while walking. My mil-spec monkey version has zippers on both sides so it's easy to forget about the other zipper.

What I personally hated about the ADAPT was the inner bottle pockets, and the meh molle configuration on the sides.
    Not ideal for sure, but would probably be easy to address with just a loop of elastic higher above the internal elastic pockets. (Though I carry one liter nalogenes in them like they are)

Yeah, I think a lot of people that buy really large packs for "go to town/EDC/Bail out bags" would rapidly come to their senses once they actually put the thing in their vehicle. IMO, there is very much a "to small to be useful" threshold as well, but once you spend a little time either trying to heave a massive bag out of the car during a training drill (especially as you mentioned, non-framed. Ouch...), OR trying to maneuver it around inside the car to get stuff out of it while in the vehicle... it becomes rapidly apparent you got to get brutal with your packing list if you want the concept to actually work.
    You know right away if your bag is too small if you can't get your required crap in it.

Too big doesn't hit until you try to maneuver with it, or even more so, try to walk quietly through the woods.

Even if you don't fill them up, you still end up with a floppy pack that makes noise or you constantly have to tighten up straps and then untighten them to get in it, etc.

But back to the OP, 2 mags, a flashlight, a TQ, and similar is my night time at home response setup.

I guarantee I can grab a carbine and that bag and get out the door faster than I could with either a belt or a vest.

Then again if you're going to do something that you're worried about carrying reload mags, you might need to be thinking about a true plate carrier with plates. :-)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The battle belt looks like my best option. The shoulder bags require 2 movements to adequately secure (over shoulder and then attach to waist some how). At 2130 and beyond, the simplicity of a single clip around the waist movement of a secure belt with whatever tools are needed seems good. I have never considered a battle belt until now. I need to research the belt, magazine holders, etc...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    When it comes to belts, especially a “bump in the night” belt, you can score an HSGI belt and pad for pretty cheap these days, if cost is a factor. I mention that first because I’m a poor, and the fact that the HSGI belt is wide and supportive, and the neoprene would work well for throwing on over boxers or sleep shorts or whitey-tighties. (Pictures are a must if you go this route.)

There are a plethora of belts out there and they have gotten much narrower over the last few years and they are more inclined for wear with pants with belt loops and are more minimalist in design.

On the outset, I was going to agree with the 5.11 2-Banger bag because it would fit the bill well for that need and can be strapped up tight similar to a small chest rig, but it sounds like sturdy battle belt would be a great option for you. An HSGI belt pad, 1.75” belt with cobra buckle, a holster for a pistol with a light, a handheld light, a a couple pistol mag pouches and a small med kit would be a great start. Maybe a rifle mag if that is part of your response? Maybe a spot for your cell phone?
    Last edited by Boy Scout; 06-29-22 at 21:00.

Feedback Score
    I have one of the IOTA bags, mine is currently holding seven 30 rnd pmags and three 20 rnd pmags.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345