Thread: G22: gen 4 vs gen 5. Impressions.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

G22: gen 4 vs gen 5. Impressions.

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: gen 5 shoots smoother, but it's not a huge difference.

Description: we shot my new gen 5 against a gen 4, both box-stock. Ammo was 180 grain max published handloads. We lacked equipment to do a quantitative study, such as high speed camera. As such, this exposition is necessarily subjective.

The guns: for those who don't know, the gen 5 G22 treatment went beyond the superficial. The slide is wider and is 3 ounces or so heavier. The M&P and the USP were designed as .40 first, and then were done in 9mm. Glock went the other way, merely modding the G17 and G19 to shoot .40 out of a 9mm platform. Gen 5 appears to be Glock's effort to bridge the gap, whether such gap is real or perceived.

Impressions: all of us felt that the gen 5 had a softer initial impulse. We did find the gen 4 to be noticeably "snappier" on initial impulse, but there appeared to be a slighter difference in muzzle flip between the two. In other words, we could feel some difference, but that didn't seem to translate into a major difference in rapid fire accuracy. Still, if I had to choose one for defensive use, I'd go gen 5.

We shot both against my G17 gen 5, with NATO Winchester and my +P 115 grain handloads. Internet buzz sometimes claims that the G22 gen 5 "shoots like G17 with +P." Not exactly, but they're not far wrong.

Should you sell your G22.4 to get the new one? Consider that the market for used .40s is not strong right now; if you do, you'll probably have to add $150 or so, plus a new holster. I think it's just a judgment call at that point.
    Last edited by Univibe; 06-18-22 at 21:50.

Feedback Score
    In the gun stores local to me, 9mm has overwhelmingly taken the forefront in selections. Sometimes you don't see any .40 guns at all.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Because the 9mm will blow out the inside of a human body.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Hahahaha!!!
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    OMG Iheard about that somewhere, some how! ��

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    40 cal is a man stopper with more knock down power. Everybody know dat!

I could probably justify a Gen 5 G22. My Gen 2 is 22 years old. Could be time for an update.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    No, just the lungs. C’mon, man!
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.