Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrett REC7 piston AR

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Barrett REC7 piston AR

A buddy of ours bought a Barrett REC7, which I'd never heard of. It's piston AR (I've got no idea why we're still chasing the piston AR idea, but whatever)

We didn't get to run it too hard, and only ran it suppressed. But it's a pretty nice gun and shot some MOA groups (barrel not even broken in yet)

Not enough round through the gun to see if any of the usual piston problems pop up. The gun was noticeably quiet with the can on. Almost quieter than a regular DI gun. We didn't mess with the gas adjustment, but it's up there and pretty much like what you'd expect to see.

Gun comes with Magpul grip and stock.

Weird to feel a bolt with no rings. Feels loose and makes me want to fix it. BCG and Charging handle:

The trigger is pretty nice. Reset is almost too light. It's crisp, but it feels almost too fragile.

"What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Some interesting choices there. Red latch on the Radian stands out, not sure why but I guess it looks cool.
    The trigger though, I wonder how that adjustment affects how it feels? And I guess the two "snug" ports lock it in place?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The trigger strikes me as being too complicated. The owner was talking about changing it out.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    That trigger looks like a Triggertech. If he likes the pull but not the adjustability, they make fixed models. I have the heavier fixed model and it is outstanding, though I’m not sure I’d endorse it for LE/Mil use due to the way the pins are retained. I’d be concerned with constant vibration from vehicles, though mine has not proven that concern. My PCC hasn’t broken it yet, either. I think it’d be fine in a house gun or typical range/training use.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Man, I have to bump this thread. This gun has been brought out like a dozen times since June and it continues to run like a champ. I personally wouldn't buy one of these guns because I don't need another AR, but this thing, I dare say, is as good as a direct impingement AR-15. Plus, it shoots very accurately. I shot a sub MOA 5 round group with the 85 gr Match Burners 2 months back.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I also didn’t feel that typical piston recoil thump. Shot very smooth and seems to be a high quality AR. It does have a Triggertech adjustable 2.5-5.0 lbs per Barrett. He has also bought an NX 1-8 scope since his first outing. Nice rig.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masakari View Post
    The trigger though, I wonder how that adjustment affects how it feels? And I guess the two "snug" ports lock it in place?
    There’s a screw in each of those that pushes against the floor of the lower to make the pins bind in place. The hammer and trigger don’t touch the traditional pins; they are just used to hold the cassette in place.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't know why but I have a feeling that AR could be highly collectible in the future. Has to be few out there...

Feedback Score
    The Rec7 Piston has been on the market since 2010ish if I remember correctly, we sold quite a few of them when I worked at a Gun Store and range from 2012-2015. Apparently they discontinued the piston at some point and still sell a DI version
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post
    The Rec7 Piston has been on the market since 2010ish if I remember correctly, we sold quite a few of them when I worked at a Gun Store and range from 2012-2015. Apparently they discontinued the piston at some point and still sell a DI version
    Hank, I believe this is a piston gun, I am not sure if that was clear. We had a few run through our LGS.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 09-19-22 at 20:45.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast