Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting through auto glass......how high/low?

Feedback Score

Shooting through auto glass......how high/low?

So my understanding is that shooting through auto glass from the outside you should aim high. Shooting from inside you should aim low. How high or low are we talking? i.e. (from the outside) aim at the head to hit the neck? Aim at the head to hit COM? Aim at the head to hit the crotch?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Depends on the angle of the glass and of the bullet coming in.

From the inside, I've been taught there's no real point in trying to aim low, the deflection is generally too great out of most front windshields (like a foot or more at just a couple yards away), so you're better off creating a hole to shoot through. As for shooting in, well, it's not like you have a big target, anyway, most of it will be covered by the vehicle itself, and depends heavily on what spatial relationship you have with the window, the vehicle, etc.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    It's an angles game compounded with uncertainty.

The remaining mass of whatever is left of your projectile will seek to exit perpendicular to the glass (style of that of a windshield). Distance of the target from the point of exit/entry from the glass will factor on POI. The hostagetaker in the back seat will require a bit more hold than if he were driving the car "grandma style" all up on the steering wheel.

Same experience going out as noted above...just clear a path or press the muzzle through (the advantage of having a bit of barrel left and not covering everything with a rail) and get to work.
    Last edited by pointblank4445; 06-19-22 at 20:41.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Depends on a the things said above and the ammo itself. I’d recommend holding face or forehead as a loose rule when shooting in, and shoot a lot. If there are non-threats inside in the back seat, I might consider my shots more carefully. It is ill advised to be in front, behind, or in the path of a hard turn/reverse, in that order of a running vehicle with a threat at the wheel.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    I have found accurate fire without worrying about deflection, just shoot till you have a hole in the windshield then keep shooting. Shoot till you hit meat with good hits.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    The only thing that is consistent about shooting through auto glass is the inconsistency.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    The only thing that is consistent about shooting through auto glass is the inconsistency.
    Very well said.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Precisely.

My troops and I trained to do this extensively with 5.56 and 7.62 caliber weapons. You get different results against US spec'ed tempered auto glass vice export / off-shore stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Depends on a lot of the things said above and the ammo itself. I’d recommend holding face or forehead as a loose rule when shooting in, and shoot a lot. If there are non-threats inside in the back seat, I might consider my shots more carefully. It is ill advised to be in front, behind, or in the path of a hard turn/reverse, in that order of a running vehicle with a threat at the wheel.
    A human grape is hard to hit. Hit them where they're the biggest, and shoot them a lot. The first few bullets aren't going through the glass intact. Shoot-throughs may kill someone you didn't want or intend to.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    I have found accurate fire without worrying about deflection, just shoot till you have a hole in the windshield then keep shooting. Shoot till you hit meat with good hits.
    Exactly, this is what works in the real world on vehicle interdictions.
    SF

Feedback Score
    I knew I could count on you guys for real-world specs on this subject! Thanks.

Would rifle vs handgun round change the equation at all? i.e. a Mk318 or M8551A1 as opposed to an HST 147gr.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast