Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Blown Accuracy in less than 1 mag...? Heat treat?

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    THIS is 100% why I didn't want to mention it...and I'm pretty sure I still haven't.

What's being incorrectly assumed is that I'm expecting IDENTICAL performance from a soda straw barrel as I am the truck axle thick barrel. NOT THE CASE.

What I AM expecting is sensical and predictable performance from ESTABLISHED baseline accuracy of whatever a particular barrel demonstrates.
    The baseline accuracy is not in question, I feel that it's pretty well established...but the DEGREE of deviation in such a small amount of time is the problem
    If your barrel is properly seated, the barrel nut properly torqued, muzzle device properly torqued, etc…. Then you might want to contact the manufacturer of the barrel, and ask if they can send you a new one under warranty.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I have gotten barrels so hot that I've melted "heat" safe suppressor covers.

I've never seen a barrel go from 1 MOA (ten rounds no less) to 4 MOA within one mag and then back to 1 MOA.

Frankly, something is wrong with that barrel or possibly the assembly method. I'd ditch the barrel completely and rebuild.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I tested mine from the same mag. And then I said something along the lines of unnoticeable not exactly the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Confused now as to what sort of actual 'testing' you did. What against what and for how many rounds?

I am talking about shooting for groups (slowly) out of different profiles with the same exact ammo (not shit that was 'tuned' for one particular barrel or another) and comparing those groups.

And then doing a mag dump (or two) out of each of those barrels (with the same ammo still) and then shooting for groups again and comparing the results.

That is two separate comparisons there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    THIS is 100% why I didn't want to mention it...and I'm pretty sure I still haven't.

What's being incorrectly assumed is that I'm expecting IDENTICAL performance from a soda straw barrel as I am the truck axle thick barrel. NOT THE CASE.

What I AM expecting is sensical and predictable performance from ESTABLISHED baseline accuracy of whatever a particular barrel demonstrates.
    The baseline accuracy is not in question, I feel that it's pretty well established...but the DEGREE of deviation in such a small amount of time is the problem
    Those guys in the video that rpol98 linked you to have good info. That video was well worth the time to watch in my opinion. Neither of those guys are dummies.

One of the same guys from InRange that did that video also did one where they tested what I believe you are asking about here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTov...wkW8c&index=11

Their test in that video was between 3 different pencil profile barrels and what happened to the POA vs POI after being heated up.

One of the barrels was an older SP1 vs a pair of Faxon 'newer and improved cause they stress relieve them now' pencil barrels.

I give them credit for feeding every firearm they brought out the same exact ammo.

Have seen plenty of videos where Faxon talks about 'stress relief' but so far have never come across any sort of hint what method they use or if they do it in house or send it off. They talk a lot about how great it is but give few to no details about what they really do to get there. Heat? Cold? Voodoo? What?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Confused now as to what sort of actual 'testing' you did. What against what and for how many rounds?

I am talking about shooting for groups (slowly) out of different profiles with the same exact ammo (not shit that was 'tuned' for one particular barrel or another) and comparing those groups.

And then doing a mag dump (or two) out of each of those barrels (with the same ammo still) and then shooting for groups again and comparing the results.

That is two separate comparisons there.
    I posted about it somewhere around here but it was super simple. I grouped, shot a full mag as quickly as possible off of the target, then reloaded the same mag I grouped with and shot another group. Didn't notice a difference between the groups. You could get far more scientific but this was all I needed for my purposes at that time and dispelled some of the internet myths because I had been lead to believe that a course of fire that basic would be enough to show some spread.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    I posted about it somewhere around here but it was super simple.

SNIP...

I comprende now. You were just testing your barrel (a single barrel) to see how it acted cold vs hot.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    I comprende now. You were just testing your barrel (a single barrel) to see how it acted cold vs hot.
    Correct, not stacking different profiles against each other, just performing a basic test on something I was already fairly committed to.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Correct, not stacking different profiles against each other, just performing a basic test on something I was already fairly committed to.

My apologies if my comments were lumping you into a different crowd sir. I misunderstood.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234