Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 396

Thread: What cans are we using on SBRs and AR pistols?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    18,761
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

    What cans are we using on SBRs and AR pistols?

    And why? Picking up my first AR pistol in 5.56 shortly, and at some point will finally give in to paying the gubment for the "honor" of making that thing quieter... What are ye using and why? I plan to keep it under 1k once I decide to part with the $ and experiencing it as is, which no doubt will be very loud and produce a most healthy fireball.
    - Will

    General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

    www.BrinkZone.com

    LE/Mil specific info:

    https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

    “Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,035
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Using an OSS/Huxwrx HX QD 556-Ti and a YHM Turbo K on my 11.5s. Haven't decided if I'm going to leave the Turbo K direct mounted or use the QD mount it came with, still experimenting. I went with the OSS can because it's the quietest at the ear 556 can that Pew Science has tested, has no gas blowback, nor impact on weapon function. I went with the Turbo K for it's compact size, lightweight, great suppression for its size and weight, and of course price. Bang for the buck is strong with that one; could have gotten 3 for the price of the OSS can!

    Actually really happy with both, all things considered. The Turbo K isn't the quietest, but still shootable with no ear pro, and it's not at all gassy compared to most. If you're looking to spend under $1k, I'd give that one a hard look. The non Ti version of the OSS 556 can be had for right at $1k, but the Ti version will set you back an extra couple hundred.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,035
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    FWIW, while you're waiting for the approval to come back, I recommend the Kaw Valley Precision linear comp. Can be had for under $50 shipped, lightweight and tough, works very well to eliminate flash, and makes a short barrel no louder than a standard 16 incher.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    18,761
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Using an OSS/Huxwrx HX QD 556-Ti and a YHM Turbo K on my 11.5s. Haven't decided if I'm going to leave the Turbo K direct mounted or use the QD mount it came with, still experimenting. I went with the OSS can because it's the quietest at the ear 556 can that Pew Science has tested, has no gas blowback, nor impact on weapon function. I went with the Turbo K for it's compact size, lightweight, great suppression for its size and weight, and of course price. Bang for the buck is strong with that one; could have gotten 3 for the price of the OSS can!

    Actually really happy with both, all things considered. The Turbo K isn't the quietest, but still shootable with no ear pro, and it's not at all gassy compared to most. If you're looking to spend under $1k, I'd give that one a hard look. The non Ti version of the OSS 556 can be had for right at $1k, but the Ti version will set you back an extra couple hundred.
    Linky?
    - Will

    General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

    www.BrinkZone.com

    LE/Mil specific info:

    https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

    “Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Lowcountry, SC.
    Posts
    4,915
    Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    How long? 5.56? What other guns do you want to use this can on (probably all of them)?

    Rank your priorities. Weight, length, cost, sound, flash, backpressure.
    RLTW
    “Y-you realize that nighttime makes up half of all time?” -Rick Sanchez

    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    3,350
    Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    If buying an upper with plans for suppression, it is a very good idea to get the upper configured for suppressed use, rather than get a "standard" upper and add the suppressor as an after thought.

    Another way to put it would be to think about the combined system holistically with your end goals in mind, before actually purchasing.


    One simple example is barrel length vs suppressor size/class.

    A 10.5" barrel generally needs a full size can for good performance, while a 12.5" barrel works very nicely with a mini size can.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    18,761
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    How long? 5.56? What other guns do you want to use this can on (probably all of them)?

    Rank your priorities. Weight, length, cost, sound, flash, backpressure.
    7.5". Main propriety best balance between $ for sound. Rest is essentially equal I guess. I might use on my other AR. I suppose I could get one rated for 308, and that gives me two calibers I can use it with. I know some go that route.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 06-20-22 at 11:11.
    - Will

    General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

    www.BrinkZone.com

    LE/Mil specific info:

    https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

    “Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,035
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Linky?
    https://www.silencershop.com/silence...m-turbo-k.html


    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    7.5". Main propriety best balance between $ for sound. Rest is essentially equal I guess. I might use on my other AR. I suppose I could get one rated for 308, and that gives me two calibers I can use it with. I know some go that route.
    Ouch! Well, the majority of cans do have minimum barrel length restrictions. And the Turbo K's is 10.5". I would strongly urge you to reconsider going with a 7.5 for something that is 11.5". That said, there are cans that don't have minimum barrel length restrictions, usually something with stellite baffles. Going to be heavier and more expensive than the Turbo K for sure, but certainly more durable. Inconel blast baffle notwithstanding.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    3,890
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would never recommend a 5.56 silencer, and even less on a short barrel for your first.

    I have a dedicated 10.5” with a suppressed only gas port, M4-2000. It’s soft shooting and not gassy, with the suppressed port. If it’s an SD gun for use without the silencer see below, or if the silencer is just for range fun consider a .30 caliber.

    With newer and lighter small to mini designs available these days I would be leaning towards a 12.5”-14.5”.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    18,761
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    https://www.silencershop.com/silence...m-turbo-k.html



    Ouch! Well, the majority of cans do have minimum barrel length restrictions. And the Turbo K's is 10.5". I would strongly urge you to reconsider going with a 7.5 for something that is 11.5". That said, there are cans that don't have minimum barrel length restrictions, usually something with stellite baffles. Going to be heavier and more expensive than the Turbo K for sure, but certainly more durable. Inconel blast baffle notwithstanding.
    As I have the FS AR I want/need, shorter the better there as PDW/HD uses.

    The one they recommend but a tad over budget is the Dead air: https://deadairsilencers.com/silencers/nomad-ti/

    That would allow two calibers. Does claim a restriction of 12.5″. What does the restriction actually mean? It may go boom or simple that you will not maximize the noise reductions?
    - Will

    General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

    www.BrinkZone.com

    LE/Mil specific info:

    https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

    “Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •