Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What cans are we using on SBRs and AR pistols?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    I would never recommend a 5.56 silencer, and even less on a short barrel for your first.

I have a dedicated 10.5” with a suppressed only gas port, M4-2000. It’s soft shooting and not gassy, with the suppressed port. If it’s an SD gun for use without the silencer see below, or if the silencer is just for range fun consider a .30 caliber.

With newer and lighter small to mini designs available these days I would be leaning towards a 12.5”-14.5”.
    Such as? I'd likely leave on for HD sure.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    As I have the FS AR I want/need, shorter the better there as PDW/HD uses.

The one they recommend but a tad over budget is the Dead air: https://deadairsilencers.com/silencers/nomad-ti/

That would allow two calibers. Does claim a restriction of 12.5″. What does the restriction actually mean? It may go boom or simple that you will not maximize the noise reductions?
    A Ti can isn't going to be nearly as durable on a 7.5, even less so as it's direct thread. If you want a can that is likely THE choice for your situation, I would go with the Rugged Razor 556. Stellite baffles, FA rated, and most importantly, NO barrel length restrictions.
    https://www.silencershop.com/silence...razor-556.html

Only $599 and 13.4 oz. Comes with an excellent mounting system to boot.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I went with a Sig 7.62TI as I didn't have the funds for two and wanted to suppress .308 and 7.62X39 as well. Light, but long.

Feedback Score
    Well, based on the OP I was gonna say TurboK. For the price point vs performance I think they are the easy button. I have shot a friends but keep procrastinating about locking a couple down for myself.

Based on the update to 7.5 inch though, I'm afraid you'd burn through them like a heavy smoker goes through Bic lighters. I'd be comfortable running my Specwar K on a 7.5 but they are discontinued. Good luck finding one. I hear the Saker K is now using the Specwar K stellite baffle stack but cannot confirm.

If you are set on 7.5 I ain't gonna try to argue with you. When I wanted something in that size I debated the options and eventually went 7 inch AK over 300BLK, I felt 5.56 left too much on the table in that length. Like I said though, you do you. There are a lot of micro 5.56 in the wild so lot of folks like em.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    A Ti can isn't going to be nearly as durable on a 7.5, even less so as it's direct thread. If you want a can that is likely THE choice for your situation, I would go with the Rugged Razor 556. Stellite baffles, FA rated, and most importantly, NO barrel length restrictions.
    https://www.silencershop.com/silence...razor-556.html

Only $599 and 13.4 oz. Comes with an excellent mounting system to boot.
    Great! That's on the short short list. Will take the longevity over the weight savings of Ti.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    7.5". Main propriety best balance between $ for sound. Rest is essentially equal I guess. I might use on my other AR. I suppose I could get one rated for 308, and that gives me two calibers I can use it with. I know some go that route.
    Off the top of my head, the only two cans I can think of that I’d put on a 7.5” is the Sandman S and the Chimera 300.

I’d strongly consider a longer barrel. 7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Been here 13 years and you're getting a 7.5" 5.56 pistol?

Bruh. Will. My Man...
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    Well, based on the OP I was gonna say TurboK. For the price point vs performance I think they are the easy button. I have shot a friends but keep procrastinating about locking a couple down for myself.

Based on the update to 7.5 inch though, I'm afraid you'd burn through them like a heavy smoker goes through Bic lighters. I'd be comfortable running my Specwar K on a 7.5 but they are discontinued. Good luck finding one. I hear the Saker K is now using the Specwar K stellite baffle stack but cannot confirm.

If you are set on 7.5 I ain't gonna try to argue with you. When I wanted something in that size I debated the options and eventually went 7 inch AK over 300BLK, I felt 5.56 left too much on the table in that length. Like I said though, you do you. There are a lot of micro 5.56 in the wild so lot of folks like em.
    As a science nerd and detail guy and pragmatist, that's all important stuff to consider. I may do an 300 upper some day, but while the ultra short 5.56 leave a lot on the table, I chose it because (1) the world is awash in 5.56 (2) costs and availability differences of ammo (3) modern 5.56 JHP in mid weight (62g) will result in more then adequate penetration and expansion at the velocities achieved from very short barrels today for good terminal ballistics at typical HD/SD distances. Proper ammo choice appears to be key there. (4) Still a hell of a lot better than a pistol or likely even pistol caliber carbine of equal length, but I didn't do deep dive on the numbers between those options.

As someone one can be OCD, she shear knowledge that the 5.56 from super short barrels is simple wasting a lot powder and potential, I totally "get" going with a 300, but so far, I think (hope that others reasons outlined will offset that for me, especially if I put a can on it.

If not, then there's probably a 300 upper in my future!
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Yes indeed.

If 556, stick with 10.5-12.5" as useful minimum barrel lengths.

If you must go shorter, 300BLK is the best choice and plays nicely at the ~8" length.

556 barrels in the 7-9" range are CRAZY loud, as in when you start shooting, people with full power battle rifles will stop and look over.

We haven't even talked about gassing yet.

FYI, adjustable gas blocks tend to blow their guts out from the extremely high pressure present at the pistol length gas port.

Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post

I’d strongly consider a longer barrel. 7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

The new Dead Air Sierra 5 should also stand up.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Off the top of my head, the only two cans I can think of that I’d put on a 7.5” is the Sandman S and the Chimera 300.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    As a science nerd and detail guy and pragmatist, that's all important stuff to consider. I may do an 300 upper some day, but while the ultra short 5.56 leave a lot on the table, I chose it because (1) the world is awash in 5.56 (2) costs and availability differences of ammo (3) modern 5.56 JHP in mid weight (62g) will result in more then adequate penetration and expansion at the velocities achieved from very short barrels today for good terminal ballistics at typical HD/SD distances. Proper ammo choice appears to be key there. (4) Still a hell of a lot better than a pistol or likely even pistol caliber carbine of equal length, but I didn't do deep dive on the numbers between those options.

As someone one can be OCD, she shear knowledge that the 5.56 from super short barrels is simple wasting a lot powder and potential, I totally "get" going with a 300, but so far, I think (hope that others reasons outlined will offset that for me, especially if I put a can on it.

If not, then there's probably a 300 upper in my future!
    Sounds like you've thought about it and this makes sense - but have you considered going just 3" longer? You will have such a more capable weapon for virtually no downsides. I run an AAC Mini4 on a 10.3" Centurion and it is not at all "loud" but it goes subsonic around 550y - considerraabbllyy further than a 7.5". It retains expansion/fragmentation capabilities beyond room distances. Docsherm has shot it - he will hopefully agree.

I'm not trying to chastise you for your choice, but 7.5" 5.56 guns are under the expansion threshhold on almost all types of .224 projectiles.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast