Page 21 of 43 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: What cans are we using on SBRs and AR pistols?

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Personally no, but I know people that have and video taped for me, and I posted several vids in this thread. Can altitude make that big of a difference? Those numbers are for 55g, 62 and above obvious slower, all well above the minimum velocities required for expansion and penetration.

This guy tested quite a few rnds from 7.5 barrel. Can't vouch for the methodology but there's lots of chrono etc info at least:

The information in this vid is useless. You need a round that expands to .7" and penetrates 12"+
    Or
    Expands and penetrates >12" and has a velocity ~2000fps

To say its better than 9mm. Maybe sone of the loads did, but he never put it all together.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    The information in this vid is useless. You need a round that expands to .7" and penetrates 12"+
    Or
    Expands and penetrates >12" and has a velocity ~2000fps

To say its better than 9mm. Maybe sone of the loads did, but he never put it all together.
    He asked for chrono info, he supplies chrono # for a lot of bullets from 7.5, and I added "Can't vouch for the methodology but there's lots of chrono etc info at least" which was the only relevant part as it applied to his Q.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Agreed, but I would be interested to know more about the topic as I'm curious like that and maybe it will assist in future fiction writing etc. Thanx.

Is that white tail or pink?
    Hamachi.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    2200+ fps from 7.5", using 62g M855 green tips, and while below the velocity needed for fragmentation, nasty yaw as expected which is a key aspect of wounding mechanisms from rifles rinds not seen in pistol rinds, unless you really pump up the velocity via PCC and perhaps +P?

Not sure about that bubble that forms. Is that legit perm cavity or some odd effect of the gel?

That's informal testing vs formal testing and all caveats of that fact must apply, but those informal effects via other vids are fairly consistent especially specific to velocities.

Last edited by WillBrink; 07-04-22 at 07:53.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    I only use OSS cans. We also use Radian SD charging handles and pretty much most of the gas blow back you typically see with all other suppressors is gone. Can’t beat that and the PASS program for police and military.
    Ar15.com is for teens & liberals
    Calguns.net is for old men & liberals
    👍😂

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Here is another video from the same guys testing Mk262.

They get 2030 fps from the 7.5" barrel, well below the fragmentation threshold for the 77 SMK, so the bullet tumbles and penetrates ~24" without deforming.

Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Here is another video from the same guys testing Mk262.

They get 2030 fps from the 7.5" barrel, well below the fragmentation threshold for the 77 SMK, so the bullet tumbles and penetrates ~24" without deforming.

77g that's still impressive velocity and per above, "...while below the velocity needed for fragmentation, nasty yaw as expected which is a key aspect of wounding mechanisms from rifles rinds not seen in pistol rinds"

Using rnds designed to penetrate and expand in SBRs makes sense of course, I don't know what the rnd designed/intended for. From a site that tested that round:

"It became clear to the author that the Black Hills load was, for all intents and purposes, a superior general use cartridge. When it came to use in the field against unknown distance targets and targets at longer ranges, it was just better all around."

So, perhaps a poor choice for SBRs?

Formal testing needed, but I'd expect that to be superior to pistol/PCC or PDWs using rnds like 5.7. Your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 07-04-22 at 15:49.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    In this "intermediate" velocity range 1800-2400 fps, soft points seem to be the most consistent performers.

The 55gr Speer Gold Dot looks like the "easy button" answer.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    In this "intermediate" velocity range 1800-2400 fps, soft points seem to be the most consistent performers.

The 55gr Speer Gold Dot looks like the "easy button" answer.
    Engineer for Speer told me their soft points designed to perform well from SBRs will penetrate and expand at as low as 1500-1600. My understanding is you need 2k and above to get the yaw that creates more damage than a pistol rnd, and approx 2500 for the fragmentation, but that's dependent bullet design and type as well as velocities. That's my basic understanding. I'd want to be above 2k at least and 2200-2400+ consistent from 7.5 with 55-62g bullets.

So, the range of 1800-2400 is easily achievable with a wide range of loads from all the major ammo makers from 7.5, and yes, even 5"...
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Page 21 of 43 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast