Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: What cans are we using on SBRs and AR pistols?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I view it more as a HD PDW, with the known +/- of that.
    Do your thoughts parallel this?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Since I’ve already answered what cans I’d look at for a 7.5” and most others have provided their input, lets look a little closer at 7.5” barrels.

Let us not ask “why 7.5?” or “what can/can’t a 7.5” do?”, but instead, “why not 10.3”+?”

If you can’t competently clear a US residence with a 10.3”, you can’t competently do it with a 7.5”. Because the gun isn’t the problem.

A 7.5” is slightly shorter than a MP5. Most everyone quit MP5s for Mk18s, and I’m not hearing the complaints about the extra 2-3”. Many (such as myself) have moved from 10.3”/10.4” guns to 11.5” guns at work. And I’m not hearing the complaints about the length.

With a can, I’m happy with anything from 10.3”-12.5”, and I sometimes bring out a longer gun just to prove that its a training problem, not a hardware one.

If you want a 7.5” for whatever reason, get one and enjoy it, but don’t delude yourself into believing that a Mk18 or Colt/KAC/Geissele 11.5” wouldn’t fill the role equally as well. Anecdotally, when I think of 7.5” guns, I think of 25yo dudes with zero training or experience, 100rds, and a gun brimming with chinesium of various colors. Like I said, the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Regarding Pinellas, I’ve adequately demonstrated that you can do work with vehicles with a 16” suppressed, though it isn’t optimal. An 11.5” is more than adequate for SWAT work with various vehicles including jumping out of a cruiser, from experience.
    Last edited by 1168; 06-20-22 at 15:25.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Lol. Now I know why Will didn't mention the barrel length in the OP. Still, I'm in agreement with these guys. Go with an 11.5". Thank us later. You're not gaining what you think you are with a 7.5.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I've read your reasons for why you want 5.56, and for why you want a short barrel. What you haven't explained is why you want such a short barrel that you are unanimously being told you're sacrificing too much ballistically for a lot of extra noise and concussion - so much so that many suppressors will literally be destroyed with too much firing out of a 7.5" which is the entire premise of this thread.

You tell me to screw off because I had to assume you wanted 7.5 because it looks cool - well, you didn't really give us a reason for the 7.5" length in particular. When asked, you sent a youtube video from someone we've never heard of. Are you bringing this in a vehicle with you? Pinellas County SWAT uses 7.5" barrels and they are trying to ditch them as fast as possible. Their all concrete range is destroying eardrums (figuratively, but probably literally as well) for no benefit.
    I think I have done a decent job of explaining the choice I had made actually. In the context of my choice, to repeat, there appears no meaningful differences between 7.-10 or even 12" and I supplied reasoning and numbers

You said the velocity was below expansion thresholds, and that was demonstrably false. Instead of admitting that, you moved goal posts and went with temp vs perm wound cavity and velocity (a legit concern) and why not just go 9mm carbine, and one of the authors you offered up (who'd I read before and assisted with my knowledge base) concluded dependent bullets used, well, you read what we wrote... Again, well above the numbers he lists in per post #25 and his article.

Again, suggesting superiority to 9mm carbine in terminal ballistics. I would love to see some new terminal ballistics with the newer ammo and SBRs specifically comparing 7.5-12" barrels.

Noise and flash are a concern and I will see what I see when I get a blastin' with it. Hence, the can Q! On the noise, shortest I have fired was full auto 10.5 Colt Commando via pal in SWAT team and frankly, sounded same as other ARs I have shot. Noise wise, worst I have shot was a 16" with a recoil reducing comp that blew all the gasses and noise at you. That thing was very loud.

And yes, it does look really cool. We all know that's a thing too, but never purchase gun in life cuz it looked cool. If if fits my goals for a specific use, the $ is right, and it looks cool, sing me up!
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I'm using an old-ass MAAD mount Saker762. It's neither modern, cool, nor sexy and the mount is a little janky, but it's what I got and it gets the job done.

I use it on my 11.5" and 16" ARs as well as a 16" 308 (MVP Patrol) and a 16" Ruger Ranch in 7.62x39.

I have a Bootleg adjustable carrier in the 11.5. It cuts down on gas-to-face and makes the cycling a little less abrupt suppressed, but it's honestly not at all necessary and if I had it to do over again, I'd probably just run a standard carrier. But again, it's what I got and I don't really see any reason to replace it until it breaks.

If I were going all the way down to 7.5", I think I might pick the 300BO over 556. It's more efficient in that length. If staying with 556, I'd probably not go shorter than 10.5" to get the additional ballistic performance. You might run into issue with barrel length restrictions limiting your suppressor options at 7.5" as well. Although I do see that the Saker556 ASR is not length restricted.

If I were going to do the suppressor thing all over, I'd get a Hybrid 46M, use it on everything in the safe, and be done. It's limited to 10"+ for 556, though.

Edited: I skipped the middle section of posts with the discussion of 7.5"...If it fits your needs, go for it. Just watch the length restrictions when you're shopping for a suppressor so you don't kill your new can.
    Last edited by kerplode; 06-20-22 at 15:25.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Lol. Now I know why Will didn't mention the barrel length in the OP. Still, I'm in agreement with these guys. Go with an 11.5". Thank us later. You're not gaining what you think you are with a 7.5.
    Nor am I loosing what some keep claiming, or should I say, no one has supplied anything I had not read or known already as to +/- such things.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Nor am I loosing what some keep claiming, or should I say, no one has supplied anything I had not read or known already as to +/- such things.
    It's all good brother. Hope it turns out to be exactly what you're looking for.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    I read quickly so maybe I missed it, but have you actually handled a 7.5” rifle? I have a 9” 300 BLK and I think it’s borderline too short. I only have a light and sling attachment on it, but even then it feels a little crowded. I didn’t even put back up sights on it because my support hand would rest on the front sight, so I decided they’re not necessary for a “fun gun.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackblack73 View Post
    I read quickly so maybe I missed it, but have you actually handled a 7.5” rifle? I have a 9” 300 BLK and I think it’s borderline too short. I only have a light and sling attachment on it, but even then it feels a little crowded. I didn’t even put back up sights on it because my support hand would rest on the front sight, so I decided they’re not necessary for a “fun gun.”
    10.5 is shortest I have handled, and I don't view anything with a 7.5 barrel a rifle, but a PDW that will be superior to a pistol, useful for SD/HD at distances typically found at such distances.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Do your thoughts parallel this?

Pretty much sums it up pretty well overall.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast