Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RD's on Pistols

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)

RD's on Pistols

RDs on Pistols has been "a thing" for a while now.

In the late 80's I had a Tasco "Pro Point" on my USPSA "Open Gun", few here will remember that I'd imagine.
    This was absolutely cutting edge at that time. This was a game changer coupled with Hi Cap guns and compensators.
    This set up was in no way "practical" for carry and I stuck with Irons and sorta stock guns for carry.

The past several years has seen the proliferation of RDs (RMR/Holosun/Aimpoint) on carry guns. In my circle it has become the rule rather than the exception.
    Several instructors have been responsible for methods of quick presentations, and the precision of the RD over irons is probably inarguable.
    I have seen individuals that couldn't keep 5 rds on a USPSA target at 50 yds, now able to shoot all A's/C's at that distance, using RD equipped pistols.
    I am certainly a believer in RD handguns for range and for carry.

Two weekends back we had a range day using irons only. This to see if we had handicapped ourselves with irons by using RD equipped Pistols exclusively for some time.
    This did not seem to be the case at close to medium (15-20 yds) range ; speed and accuracy was close to same as RD guns. Longer range showed a big difference, particularly at speed.
    The group was much sloppier with shot placement at distance using irons.

I am curious if others have researched any differences in their current use of RD vs. irons.
    Last edited by gaijin; 06-21-22 at 08:02.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I don't know if I would call it research, but it became a matter of my vision. I just couldn't see the front sights on either pistols or rifles. One of the downsides of aging. I don't bother with BUIS anymore.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    That's pretty interesting. I wonder how much work it would require to get the distance shooting close to the RDS.

I still refuse to even consider the RDS on pistol yet. I shoot them on Pappabear's guns, and they are nice. But the reliability that you'd get from a carbine/aimpoint micro just isn't there yet.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Admittedly I “baby” pistol optics as possible.
    However I’ve seen that Cowan guy beat THE SHIT out of RMRs and Holosun 507x2 optics and they held up.
    In my mind pistol optics are a better mousetrap. The downside for me is; what if I can no longer get batteries?
    It’s a stretch granted, but with Clown World in full swing, who knows?

I do feel it’s important for me to retain a degree of mastery with Irons however.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    But the reliability that you'd get from a carbine/aimpoint micro just isn't there yet.
    RMR Dual Illuminated, HS 507, 508, 509 can be beat on.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    The downside for me is; what if I can no longer get batteries?
    It’s a stretch granted, but with Clown World in full swing, who knows?
    RMR Dual Illuminated requires no battery… its powered by the Sun. I’ve not yet tested the “Solar Fail Safe” or “Solar Charging” on the chinadots, but the 508t and 407c’s batteries last a long time.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    RMR Dual Illuminated, HS 507, 508, 509 can be beat on.
    I'm sure they're some tough models available. But I don't think I've shot with anyone who at least one time didn't do the Pistol RDS hunched shoulder pose tryna figger out why my dot ain't on pose. I want to make the red white and blue Major league baseball logo of that pose.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    This did not seem to be the case at close to medium (15-20 yds) range ; speed and accuracy was close to same as RD guns. Longer range showed a big difference, ....others have researched any differences in their current use of RD vs. irons.
    Not really research just 'experimenting'. For me, no difference up to 12-/+ yds in terms of accuracy, in terms of speed and accuracy I found a definite difference, 3-4" groups became 8" groups. For 20+ yds, RDS is king for speed and accuracy, in my case anyway.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    Not really research just 'experimenting'. For me, no difference up to 12-/+ yds in terms of accuracy, in terms of speed and accuracy I found a definite difference, 3-4" groups became 8" groups. For 20+ yds, RDS is king for speed and accuracy, in my case anyway.
    Yeah, up close, 7yds and in, no difference unless I’m trying to make a super precise shot. From 7-15 yds, more precise. Past that, faster and more precise. Much more precise.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Exactly.

Last Sunday a drill at 45 yds I had 5 rds in 3”. Possibly a fluke, but I can consistently shoot A zone (USPSA Target) at that distance.
    With irons at same speed I can manage As/Cs, VERY infrequently all As.

My precision is substantially better at midrange (15-30) and further (30-60) with RD.

Feedback Score
    My results are similar to others. Up close, I have very little difference in speed, because it's mostly body indexing and muscle memory. As the distance increases, though, the dot gets a whole lot more accurate for me because I can focus on the target and not the front sight.

The dot also helps a lot from awkward positions, much like an RDS on a rifle.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast