Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RD's on Pistols

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    The downside for me is; what if I can no longer get batteries?
    It’s a stretch granted, but with Clown World in full swing, who knows?

I do feel it’s important for me to retain a degree of mastery with Irons however.
    I think you really don't need to worry about batteries, buy a few spares to get you through a temporary situation of a localized empty shelf situation.

But I have totally changed my position on the future, if we can defeat the Marxist at the ballot box and rebuild our country, we will be the only super power in 5 to 9 years. If this happens we will have batteries. If we lose to the Marxist, then batteries will be the least of our problems.

I have 2 pistols with irons with fiber optic front sights which helps me. If I had to go back to those for pistol carry, it would not be the end of my world.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    In my mind pistol optics are a better mousetrap. The downside for me is; what if I can no longer get batteries?
    It’s a stretch granted, but with Clown World in full swing, who knows?
    Lithium coin cells have a ten year shelf life so a supply disruption would need to be longer than that to be a problem. Do you see indications of a ban on lithium coin cells?

Feedback Score
    RDS on a range toy or comp pistols are great, as far as duty carry, I HIGHLY do not recommend them.

When I hear some guys at work talking about getting them, I tell them to pull out their pistol and point out how dirty their gun is with dust, dirt, lint what have you.

Then I break out a RDS on a rifle and spray water on the eye side of the dot and show them how the RDS is useless at that point.

Don't get me wrong, I have a few pistols with a RDS on them but, again I use them as range toys. I have found that if you do not constantly train with them, you spend more time trying to find the red dot than you do watching your target, this is NOT a good thing to be doing in a life/death situation.

Others may have a different experience or opinion and that is fine. It is just my personal opinion on RDS on a pistol.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sainte View Post
    RDS on a range toy or comp pistols are great, as far as duty carry, I HIGHLY do not recommend them.

When I hear some guys at work talking about getting them, I tell them to pull out their pistol and point out how dirty their gun is with dust, dirt, lint what have you.

Then I break out a RDS on a rifle and spray water on the eye side of the dot and show them how the RDS is useless at that point.

Don't get me wrong, I have a few pistols with a RDS on them but, again I use them as range toys. I have found that if you do not constantly train with them, you spend more time trying to find the red dot than you do watching your target, this is NOT a good thing to be doing in a life/death situation.

Others may have a different experience or opinion and that is fine. It is just my personal opinion on RDS on a pistol.
    While I respect your opinion, as a professional I must say “that’s a technique.”
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    While I respect your opinion, as a professional I must say “that’s a technique.”
    The aiming being technique, I can see your point and agree with it but, with the price and rarity of ammo, I do not know many people who are out there practicing much at all anymore.

Water rendering the Dot useless however, I do not see as technique. When water is on the shooter's side of the lens, it makes the dot bloom. That also makes it very difficult to see your irons thru the RDS.

Also, I have been in three OIS and haven't used my sights that I can remember, it was all "feel" and time was infinitely slow is the best I can describe it as.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Lithium coin cells have a ten year shelf life so a supply disruption would need to be longer than that to be a problem. Do you see indications of a ban on lithium coin cells?
    I don’t, no. I’m a lousy Soothsayer though.
    Last edited by gaijin; 06-21-22 at 18:30.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    The aiming being technique, I can see your point and agree with it but, with the price and rarity of ammo, I do not know many people who are out there practicing much at all anymore.

Water rendering the Dot useless however, I do not see as technique. When water is on the shooter's side of the lens, it makes the dot bloom. That also makes it very difficult to see your irons thru the RDS.

Also, I have been in three OIS and haven't used my sights that I can remember, it was all "feel" and time was infinitely slow is the best I can describe it as.
    Before I moved out of Florida, I took a RDS pistol class from Jared Reston (if you're not familiar with him, Google him). The class ran for about 12 hours and it rained for 8-10 of those hours. Everyone's optic was soaked pretty much all day. It wasn't a hinderance to anyone in the class.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    Getting the index down is best done dry to begin with, so... don't see the issue.

Can't say I've seen that issue before with my RMRs, P-1s, nor P-2s, despite shooting in inclement weather. Hell, even sticking my ACROs under running water has minimal impact, as the water mostly just runs right off.

Hell, I've never taken an RDS-pistol class, and no one has yet convinced me that it's a good investment. I've talked to Steve Fisher before, one of the first people to put on RDS-specific pistol classes, and he has stated that he put those on because there is demand for them, not because he feels that they actually bring much value. Bill Blowers has also made similar arguments about how silly they are, noting that we don't have RDS-specific rifle classes. There might be little nuances here or there, but nothing worth spending 16 hours specifically on, when the fundamentals of shooting remain very much the same.

I think the easiest way to see the difference between RDS and irons on pistols is to just look at the performance gap between CO and production in Steel Challenge, so there's no round count difference in gear there.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 06-21-22 at 22:26.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    I have had my red dots in both rain and snow and never really saw any issues, this included using a RMR.

Since then I have moved to closed system red dots and it really isn't a issue.

I am not a Glock fan, kind of like I am not a fan of the hammer in my tool box. But with the Leupold Delta Micro and the aftermarket support of Glock, combined with my CMMG Banshee that uses Glock mags. I am back to using Glocks. I will say my poly 80 frame has determined my summer projects, I will cut out the Glock hump and put a flat replacement piece of polymer on the grip. My Glocks are not pretty, but to me no matter how Gucci a Glock is it isn't pretty, but they now fit my need better than any other platform. When I feel the need for pretty I take out my Cylinder and Slide full house Hi Power with gold hammer and trigger.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    I will cut out the Glock hump and put a flat replacement piece of polymer on the grip.
    There’s a Youtube tutorial floating around where the dude fills the backstrap with some sort of epoxy and then removes material.

And as to the water thing…yeah, it rains in coastal SC.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast