Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 43

Thread: I was "that guy" at the range today.

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,841
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    They don't force that no, but I refuse to use my supplies, and grabbed a few boxes. Even bulk buying does seem that much less $ these days, maybe 30%? Have not searched a lot lately.
    Check out ammoseek.com. You'll still need to do a little legwork as some of the seller charge exorbitant shipping fees, but you can get new brass 5.56 or 223 for about $500 per case shipped.
    Last edited by georgeib; 06-23-22 at 06:17. Reason: Corrected link.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    1,338
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    They don't force that no, but I refuse to use my supplies, and grabbed a few boxes. Even bulk buying does seem that much less $ these days, maybe 30%? Have not searched a lot lately.
    Got it now.


    We have a range here that if you want to shoot your 5.56, you can but... They make you buy and use their ammo cause they have a wimpy backstop that is not 'suitable' for full power / speed 5.56 ammo is what they claim. BS in my opinion. They want you buying their low power / over priced reloads so they can enhance their profits. (and reduce potential damage to their backstop)

    I refuse to participate in that garbage at that range. Especially when there are other ranges that do not have those sort of rules and restrictions in place.



    The indoor range I go to currently - Before they ever got a dollar of mine I made sure we were real clear on the picking up brass stuff. Believe it or not we have some local ranges here that will actually tell you crap like, 'if it falls on the ground - it belongs to us' and not allow you to pick up your own brass. Because they make chump change sweeping it up and selling it as scrap...

    Screw that. That brass that came out of MY gun belongs to ME.

    I like having choices for indoor ranges here but a guy has to ask questions or he may get hosed.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,841
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Got it now.


    We have a range here that if you want to shoot your 5.56, you can but... They make you buy and use their ammo cause they have a wimpy backstop that is not 'suitable' for full power / speed 5.56 ammo is what they claim. BS in my opinion. They want you buying their low power / over priced reloads so they can enhance their profits. (and reduce potential damage to their backstop)

    I refuse to participate in that garbage at that range. Especially when there are other ranges that do not have those sort of rules and restrictions in place.



    The indoor range I go to currently - Before they ever got a dollar of mine I made sure we were real clear on the picking up brass stuff. Believe it or not we have some local ranges here that will actually tell you crap like, 'if it falls on the ground - it belongs to us' and not allow you to pick up your own brass. Because they make chump change sweeping it up and selling it as scrap...

    Screw that. That brass that came out of MY gun belongs to ME.

    I like having choices for indoor ranges here but a guy has to ask questions or he may get hosed.
    Not to get too far in the weeds, but brass catchers make collecting your brass a breeze. So well worth the thirty bucks.

    ETA, the one from Brass Goat is pretty cool and has potential opsec applications: https://brassgoat.com/
    Last edited by georgeib; 06-23-22 at 06:24.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    12,016
    Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Got it now.


    We have a range here that if you want to shoot your 5.56, you can but... They make you buy and use their ammo cause they have a wimpy backstop that is not 'suitable' for full power / speed 5.56 ammo is what they claim. BS in my opinion. They want you buying their low power / over priced reloads so they can enhance their profits. (and reduce potential damage to their backstop)

    I refuse to participate in that garbage at that range. Especially when there are other ranges that do not have those sort of rules and restrictions in place.



    The indoor range I go to currently - Before they ever got a dollar of mine I made sure we were real clear on the picking up brass stuff. Believe it or not we have some local ranges here that will actually tell you crap like, 'if it falls on the ground - it belongs to us' and not allow you to pick up your own brass. Because they make chump change sweeping it up and selling it as scrap...

    Screw that. That brass that came out of MY gun belongs to ME.

    I like having choices for indoor ranges here but a guy has to ask questions or he may get hosed.
    Im so glad I don’t have to go to ranges anymore. That’s retarded

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    18,201
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Check out ammoseek.com. You'll still need to do a little legwork as some of the seller charge exorbitant shipping fees, but you can get new brass 5.56 or 223 for about $500 per case shipped.
    Thanx, will do.
    - Will

    General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

    www.BrinkZone.com


    “Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    369
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Im so glad I don’t have to go to ranges anymore. That’s retarded
    Right? Thankful we have member clubs where I live. Average is like $35 a year. One of them has brass buckets at the pistol and rifle ranges. If its in the bucket, and you want it, take it. And the nice thing is if you go during the week it's a ghost town. Spent 4 hours at one of the clubs I belong to on Monday dialing in some optics on a few rifles and generally having fun. Just me and a buddy. No one else showed. Almost as good as having enough property to have your own set up.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    9,848
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Believe it or not we have some local ranges here that will actually tell you crap like, 'if it falls on the ground - it belongs to us' and not allow you to pick up your own brass. Because they make chump change sweeping it up and selling it as scrap...

    Screw that. That brass that came out of MY gun belongs to ME.

    I like having choices for indoor ranges here but a guy has to ask questions or he may get hosed.
    Although I'm sure that reselling brass may figure in somewhere, I'm pretty sure the range operators are the ones who get the biggest lawsuit when Joe Bill shoots you in the noggin as you are scrabbling around on the floor to pick up brass. Granted the booth partitions should provide ballistic protection, but there's always that guy.

    It aggravates me that my brass on the floor gets left on the floor, but the last thing I want to do is kneel down or bend over placing my head below folk's muzzles. It seems that on most of the indoor ranges that I've shot on a good percentage of my brass is forward of the booth.

    On the one I shoot on the most often, if no one else is firing, I ask and they've always allowed me to pick up my brass.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

    Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,230
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    My son has one on a rifle length barrel / rifle gas / rifle buffered AR. He claims because of the 'recoil' reduction.


    That + him owning 2 cats + the lack of a girlfriend pretty much prove to me he is a homo.
    Damn, that is SAVAGE!!!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,230
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    S&W 500 Mag and 454 casull are worse then any AR I have heard. I don't know if the actual DB is higher or not, but the blast wave effect is worse in my experiences. Only time I have ever left the range was a guy shooting his 500 handgun. What useless toy of a gun.
    They are not useless. Get out into bear country, and that is where they have a place. But I will admit, most that do have them, do not go into bear country.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    18,201
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    They are not useless. Get out into bear country, and that is where they have a place. But I will admit, most that do have them, do not go into bear country.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    A 44mag with proper hard cast loads are not sufficient? I lost count of the people I know who took big bears down with that set up. I believe most guides tend to carry 12g slug guns as a defensive, vs offensive/hunting gun for bears.

    The 500 is a bubba gun really, but sure, for the 0.01% owners who will engage a bear, who have decided 44 mag not sufficient and no 12g slug gun etc, handy, will no doubt work. You'd better make the hit on that first shot as a follow up, is unlikely I suspect.
    - Will

    General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

    www.BrinkZone.com


    “Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •