Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I was "that guy" at the range today.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    It seems that all the internet kids want to go as short as possible (obviously not you Will), and forget the lack of reliability, damaging noise and concussion, never mind the lack of ballistic ability when they are using 8, 7.5 and even 6.5" barrels. Throwing a brake on them does tame the intensified felt recoil, but at the price of damaging ears or mandating the shooter double up ear pro.

I had a team that used 6.5" barrels on duty guns. I wanted to cry, and eventually I simply replaced all the barrel in inventory with 10.5s.
    The internet kids want short as possible, but they don't know why they want it. I do at least. My POV on the topic covered in the other thread linked in the OP. I feel I gave a good account of the choice made as it applies to me.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 06-22-22 at 14:10.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    I put a muzzle brake on my 308 just so I can pull it out when some jackass at the indoor range is shooting an unsuppressed SBR.
    I got stuck next to some rube shooting an SBR with a battlecomp one time. It was definitely unpleasant and I moved at the first opportunity.

Not the loudest thing I experienced at an indoor range, though...

I made the mistake of firing my Guide Gun in 375 Ruger there while it had the brake attached. HUGE fireball, the blast wave PIMP SMACKED me in the face, dust rained down from the ceiling, and it made my ears ring through double earpro. Some dude at the other end of the line said "HOLY SHIT!! What the hell was THAT!" Holy shit indeed. One round and done for that session...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    I got stuck next to some rube shooting an SBR with a battlecomp one time. It was definitely unpleasant and I moved at the first opportunity.

Not the loudest thing I experienced at an indoor range, though...

I made the mistake of firing my Guide Gun in 375 Ruger there while it had the brake attached. HUGE fireball, the blast wave PIMP SMACKED me in the face, dust rained down from the ceiling, and it made my ears ring through double earpro. Some dude at the other end of the line said "HOLY SHIT!! What the hell was THAT!" Holy shit indeed. One round and done for that session...
    S&W 500 Mag and 454 casull are worse then any AR I have heard. I don't know if the actual DB is higher or not, but the blast wave effect is worse in my experiences. Only time I have ever left the range was a guy shooting his 500 handgun. What useless toy of a gun.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    …Throwing a brake on them does tame the intensified felt recoil, but at the price of damaging ears or mandating the shooter double up ear pro.
    That’s what kills me. Shorter barrel equals less velocity. Less velocity equals less free recoil, not more.

But people think shorter rifles kick more because they have more muzzle blast. So they add a brake, which intensifies muzzle blast…?

It’s all in their heads.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    That’s what kills me. Shorter barrel equals less velocity. Less velocity equals less free recoil, not more.

But people think shorter rifles kick more because they have more muzzle blast. So they add a brake, which intensifies muzzle blast…?

It’s all in their heads.
    The pistol I got is very pleasant to shoot recoil wise. The noise and the fire ball are another matter.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    S&W 500 Mag and 454 casull are worse then any AR I have heard. I don't know if the actual DB is higher or not, but the blast wave effect is worse in my experiences. Only time I have ever left the range was a guy shooting his 500 handgun. What useless toy of a gun.
    Yeah, agreed...The high-pressure big bore revolvers are very "blasty" for lack of a better term. More so than one would expect. I'm thinking its the 50-60k+ PSI jetting out the cylinder gap that's intensifying the effect. I give those guys a wide berth at the range for sure.

Even though the 500 is mostly useless, I still kinda want one. I want a 50 AE Desert Eagle someday, too, though, so there's also that... :-)

Feedback Score
    The white box range ammo is a $1 per round!!!
    Ammo that the range in question makes you buy from them to be able to shoot on their range?

(was a question not just a statement)

A buck a round for .223 sucks big time.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Ammo that the range in question makes you buy from them to be able to shoot on their range?

(was a question not just a statement)

A buck a round for .223 sucks big time.
    They don't force that no, but I refuse to use my supplies, and grabbed a few boxes. Even bulk buying does seem that much less $ these days, maybe 30%? Have not searched a lot lately.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Unless you've got a grizzly bear charging your ass. That said, I'm comfortable with my manhood topping out at 44mag.
    Last edited by titsonritz; 06-22-22 at 19:24.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Unless you've got a grizzly bear charging your ass. That said, I'm more comfortable with a short, lever action Marlin in 45-70.
    Fixed it for ya
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast