Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learn me on "button dragged 5R ratched rifled" barrels

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Learn me on "button dragged 5R ratched rifled" barrels

Been going down some rabbit holes lately as I'm bound to do, and been reading on button dragged and 5R ratched rifled barrels. One company has both in their barrels. I read the basic tech on it, but of course there's claims made to sell a product and there's real world benefits or way over stated benefits not worth the $.

This seemed a balanced write up on 5R:

https://faxonfirearms.com/blog/what-and-why-5r-rifling/

Button dragged:

https://www.80percentarms.com/blog/c...orged-barrels/

What is the real world applications there and should I give a damn? If you have better sources for me to read, please post.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Faxon knows about as much about making a quality barrel as Sonny Bono knows about Snow Skiing.

That said, all the 5R barrels we've run have been great. Our best shooting bolt gun in .223 is a 5R

With Button rifling, you can get everything from world class to mediocre. I'm not an expert but we've spent time talking to our riflesmith on all the barrel that he sees. I usually just go with Button because that's what it commonly available in the configuration I want.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Faxon knows about as much about making a quality barrel as Sonny Bono knows about Snow Skiing.

That said, all the 5R barrels we've run have been great. Our best shooting bolt gun in .223 is a 5R

With Button rifling, you can get everything from world class to mediocre. I'm not an expert but we've spent time talking to our riflesmith on all the barrel that he sees. I usually just go with Button because that's what it commonly available in the configuration I want.
    Thanx, makes sense that per usual there's good to crap outputs of those process and if someone gives a damn during the process, good things are the results. That's the case 99% of the time for virtually all processes, so makes sense. Sounds like done "right" they are GTG.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Real world? I've never used 5R, but I suppose if you're dealing with bullet deformation it may be worth a look.

Button-rifled can be had for any use from a cheap AR build all the way to a Shilen or Lijia for benchrest shooting.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post

I just want to point out that this maybe the only board where that doesn't seem like an odd comment.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    From the second page:

Conventional rifling is significantly cheaper to make and buy so it’s not going anywhere anytime soon. Which also means that 5R rifling will remain a pricey upgrade but well worth it for those looking for sub MOA performance out of their AR-style rifles.
    Why is this? Once the button is formed isn't it the same process for either? Surely it cannot be that much more difficult to machine a 5R button?
    Last edited by Disciple; 06-22-22 at 14:06.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I just want to point out that this maybe the only board where that doesn't seem like an odd comment.
    Faxon has a weird fanbase, and I suspect it comes from the fact there's so much crossover with their fans and fans of that weirdo Karl from Inrange TV.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    From the second page:

Why is this? Once the button is formed isn't it the same process for either? Surely it cannot be that much more difficult to machine a 5R button?
    As far as I know, 5R barrels are cut rifled, not button. Cut rifling is much more time consuming and therefore expensive. Though, stress relieved and lapped button rifled barrels from top manufacturers aren't much cheaper...

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    ^^My understanding as well.
    The few 5R barrels I currently have Shoot quite well.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    When Im making a purchase, the manufacture's history and reputation, including documented performance is the #1 factor. Exotic materials and special processes dont mean shit if the base product is crap or the manufacturer doesnt know what they're doing.

Whats your desired use? For 223, the difference between a quality CL barrel and a stainless is very close and ussually negligible outside dedicated precision use outside 400yds. Even then Im not sure. Currently testing it out.

When I buy a match barrel, it wont be faxon, because thats not their thing.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 06-22-22 at 19:45.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast