Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Learn me on "button dragged 5R ratched rifled" barrels

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    There's no reason for 5R to be a costly upgrade as they claim.

The rifling button can be made in a variety of shapes and profiles, 5R included.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    From the second page:

Why is this? Once the button is formed isn't it the same process for either? Surely it cannot be that much more difficult to machine a 5R button?
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    From the second page:

Why is this? Once the button is formed isn't it the same process for either? Surely it cannot be that much more difficult to machine a 5R button?
    Exactly a button is a button, the company making the button more than likely already has a 30 or 45 degree cutter. You pay for the button and pull it through the barrel just as fast as a 4 or 6 groove. So that part is BS that being said I would rather use 5R or 3R rifled barrels than square Enfield type rifling. Less deformation, better seal, less copper fouling and with 3R less engraving force leading to lower peak pressure..

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
    Exactly a button is a button, the company making the button more than likely already has a 30 or 45 degree cutter. You pay for the button and pull it through the barrel just as fast as a 4 or 6 groove. So that part is BS that being said I would rather use 5R or 3R rifled barrels than square Enfield type rifling. Less deformation, better seal, less copper fouling and with 3R less engraving force leading to lower peak pressure..
    Which sounds a lot like polygonal rifling, which does not seem popular in rifles. Only a few pistol manufacturers use it seems, due to cost?
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Which sounds a lot like polygonal rifling, which does not seem popular in rifles. Only a few pistol manufacturers use it seems, due to cost?
    Lothar Walther and HK (G3, 33, 53, 93, 51, 91)use a true polygonal rifling in rifles, Glocks are poly.

Every barrel is a polygon so any barrel maker can claim their barrels are polygonal but some are really 4R or 5R and just called polygonal, I believe Noveske barrels were an "R" type.

Boots Obermyer was probably one of the first in the US to use 5R then Mike Rock, he made many of the military 5R sniper barrels installed on the Rem M40. Bartlein makes 5R barrels, Krieger, T/C, I made 5R and 3R barrels for ARs and now Faxon does.
    Attachment 68412
    Attachment 68413

ETA- I've never heard the term "button dragged", buttons can be pulled or pushed, Wilson Arms (not Wilson Combat)pushes buttons, every other company I know of pulls their buttons.
    Last edited by constructor; 06-24-22 at 17:01.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
    Lothar Walther and HK (G3, 33, 53, 93, 51, 91)use a true polygonal rifling in rifles, Glocks are poly.

Every barrel is a polygon so any barrel maker can claim their barrels are polygonal but some are really 4R or 5R and just called polygonal, I believe Noveske barrels were an "R" type.

Boots Obermyer was probably one of the first in the US to use 5R then Mike Rock, he made many of the military 5R sniper barrels installed on the Rem M40. Bartlein makes 5R barrels, Krieger, T/C, I made 5R and 3R barrels for ARs and now Faxon does.
    Attachment 68412
    Attachment 68413

ETA- I've never heard the term "button dragged", buttons can be pulled or pushed, Wilson Arms (not Wilson Combat)pushes buttons, every other company I know of pulls their buttons.
    Good intel. If you get a better seal that should translate into added velocity I'd think also.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12