Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Nitride salts or fouling

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Ask any of the barrel manufacturers how they hand lap a barrel. You guys don't have a clue what you are talking about.
    If I do will they tell me they roll a poly coated bullet in 800 grit abrasive, push it through the barrel twice, and then call it good?

Andy

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So the 2 bullets I shot with 800 grit has just ruined this barrel? If any of you think that, you need to rethink you whole life. If this nitride is so hard and so durable that it holds up to full auto fire. It should hold up to 2 bullets with lapping compound on it. If it doesn't, then what's it even doing on a barrel?

start this video at 12:00 and listen how a barrel is lapped. He does not say how long they do it, but from the makers I have talked to it is a good 20 min or more. And multiple laps. Lapping compound is put on the lap many times. It is not just 2 strokes as someone said.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    So the 2 bullets I shot with 800 grit has just ruined this barrel? If any of you think that, you need to rethink you whole life. If this nitride is so hard and so durable that it holds up to full auto fire. It should hold up to 2 bullets with lapping compound on it. If it doesn't, then what's it even doing on a barrel?
    Because it's a cheap way of hardening, darkening, and protecting a barrel from rust.

The Army and Navy have done LOTs of barrel treatment research between chrome-plating, nitriding, and hard (stellite) lining for artillery, automatic cannon, and small arms. Nitriding is NOT great (compared to chrome-lining) when it comes to automatic weapons -- it's a surface treatment.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    -SNIP-
    We are getting a bit crossed. My thought is that two 800 grit bullets are less than normally used for firelapping. Did it hurt your barrel? I doubt two abrasive bullets had any effect.

In the end, its your barrel and your business.

Vicious's posts struck me as ball busting and humorous.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Because it's a cheap way of hardening, darkening, and protecting a barrel from rust.

The Army and Navy have done LOTs of barrel treatment research between chrome-plating, nitriding, and hard (stellite) lining for artillery, automatic cannon, and small arms. Nitriding is NOT great (compared to chrome-lining) when it comes to automatic weapons -- it's a surface treatment.
    Doesn't Stellite supposedly surpass hard chrome (and obviously then nitride/Melonite) as far as durability? Not sure about corrosion resistance, but I'd guess it's pretty good. IIRC it's pretty expensive and no one that I found in an internet search a couple years ago produced barrels lined with it.

Didn't the M-60 have a Stellite chamber?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Doesn't Stellite supposedly surpass hard chrome (and obviously then nitride/Melonite) as far as durability? Not sure about corrosion resistance, but I'd guess it's pretty good. IIRC it's pretty expensive and no one that I found in an internet search a couple years ago produced barrels lined with it.

Didn't the M-60 have a Stellite chamber?
    Yes. Liner vs plating. Not sure how accurate a stellite liner is.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345