Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nitride salts or fouling

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    I have a question: I know ammonia-based solvents are not good for chrome lined barrels, especially if left to sit too long. But I was always under the impression that nitride was impervious to the things chrome wasn't, i.e. solvents. It *might* have been the only advantage I would have given to a nitrided barrel but apparently that isn't the case?
    Ammonia being bad for CL barrels is false. Its bad for decorative chrome and people drew a false correlation between the two.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Looks like simply more copper fouling to me OP.

Try patchout or wipeout with accelerator if you need all the copper gone.

Even using those products it will take several overnight iterations to get it all out.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I got it out. Not how I wanted but it is gone.

I took 2 of my powder coated bullets and rolled them with some 800 grit diamond lapping compound. I loaded them up with 1.2gr of bullseye. Shot them into the dirt behind the house. I then cleaned the barrel with some solvent. It removed whatever it was.

I took it out shooting yesterday and everything looks fine. And the bore is not rough as it looks. It is extremely smooth. The only thing you can feel is the gas port when you go over it. Not too happy on how much erosion is on the tailing edge but will keep an eye on it. This does not have hardly any rounds through it. My Sabre Defense SS match barrel has 4x as many rounds and the port on that has hardly any wear.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123