Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Nitride salts or fouling

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    29,129
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Sorry, this just adds to my hesitation to buy a nitrided (Melonited) barrel. I know chrome lining has it's flaws at times but to me this is just another nail in the nitride coffin.

    YMMV and no disrespect intended to anyone.
    Totally agree. No chance I'd buy one any time soon. We had a really shitty barrel from FAXON that they did not make good on.
    "You people have too much time on your hands." - scottryan

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    3,804
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Did it shoot bad or are you just an obsessive barrel cleaner?

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Roaming
    Posts
    702
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Totally agree. No chance I'd buy one any time soon. We had a really shitty barrel from FAXON that they did not make good on.
    That sounds like a Faxon problem, there are other companies that produce Melonite treated barrels.
    If I had opened a business 15 years ago and every barrel or rifle I produced shot 2-3" groups like BCM, DD and all these other "professional" grade firearms I would have been out of business in a year. But then again there are a lot of people out there that are fine shooting a rifle that shoots 2-3" groups as long as it has a big name everyone can see.
    AR15 Performance
    The 6.8 is the best choice for hunting deer and hogs with an AR15.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in the back of your mind
    Posts
    107
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Did it shoot bad or are you just an obsessive barrel cleaner?
    It shoots good. But I want to shoot my cast lead bullets in it. You need to start with a bare barrel with lead. Any copper will grab the lead and can cause it to lead up the barrel. These will be powder coated but I want it to be able to be spotless so if something happens I can't blame it on the copper build up.

    JB would not touch it. I ran a very tight fitting patch with jb an kroil for at least 50 strokes and it did not touch it. It did not remove any of the black coating either.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    College Station, Texas
    Posts
    1,815
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    My buddy Nez runs BanBan's Barrel Barn in North Austin. He makes all the Texas State Rifle Team barrels for the senior and junior teams, and Ken Stephens has won the President's Match at Camp Perry with his tubes.

    Nez cuts Shilen blanks, chambers, cuts the crowns, threads for mounting the barrel extensions and flash suppressor, then sends them out for nitriding here in Texas.

    Once they return from nitriding he places them in large tubs (actually old ice chests) and alternately soaks and rinses off all the salts from the hardening-blacking process. I think he says he leaves them to soak a week or two. This turns the water brown-red like rust.

    Once done he'll dry them, mount and torque on the barrel extensions, then I believe he drills the gas ports.

    A good nitrided barrel will hold precision and last a long time. Chrome-lining has the advantage for military (service-combat) grade barrels for longevity for automatic fire and high heat iterations, but both are still affected by chamber pressure and heat.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    North Alabama
    Posts
    4,281
    Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    It shoots good. But I want to shoot my cast lead bullets in it. You need to start with a bare barrel with lead. Any copper will grab the lead and can cause it to lead up the barrel. These will be powder coated but I want it to be able to be spotless so if something happens I can't blame it on the copper build up.

    JB would not touch it. I ran a very tight fitting patch with jb an kroil for at least 50 strokes and it did not touch it. It did not remove any of the black coating either.
    I realize its a single data point, but I have a 16" nitrided barrel in a dedicated AR22 build that I have fired thousands of wax coated bulk ammo through without a hint of leading.

    Andy

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in the back of your mind
    Posts
    107
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Andy, I am running my 65gr bullet at 2600fps. The variables are not the same as a 22rf when it comes to leading. I have leaded up more 22rf barrels than I have with my centerfire barrels. I love my rf rifles but I can load my 223 for less than I can buy 22rf ammo. At least with the components I have on hand. With all this new bs going on I will not buy anything for now. I seen this coming and really stocked up on components 4 years ago. And up till the bat bug hit. I have not bought anything since. I have enough stuff to keep me shooting for at least 5 more years.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    North Alabama
    Posts
    4,281
    Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Andy, I am running my 65gr bullet at 2600fps. The variables are not the same as a 22rf when it comes to leading. I have leaded up more 22rf barrels than I have with my centerfire barrels. I love my rf rifles but I can load my 223 for less than I can buy 22rf ammo. At least with the components I have on hand. With all this new bs going on I will not buy anything for now. I seen this coming and really stocked up on components 4 years ago. And up till the bat bug hit. I have not bought anything since. I have enough stuff to keep me shooting for at least 5 more years.
    Yeah, I should have realized you were shooting cast through an AR.

    Andy

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    East of Atlanta
    Posts
    636
    Feedback Score
    0
    Nitrided barrels are the way to go in my experience. Ive used melonited barrels from ARP, Lothar Walther, and Criterion. All of them shoot MOA or better. They seem to be immune to copper fouling and clean up fast when they need it. They donít rust. We used one of ARPís melonited scout profile barrels as a bullet hose for a few years and couldnít kill it. The kid we gave that upper to still hammers steel out to 600 yards with it to this day. The only cl barrels I have left are LMTs and 1 Colt Socom. The LMT cl MWS barrels are freaks. They shoot better than any cl barrel should.
    ďI prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.Ē Ė Thomas Jefferson.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    3,804
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    At this point Iím not sure if you are seeing copper or discoloration. If it is copper itís got to be deep into the bore to survive lapping. A bore that rough seems like a poor choice for shooting lead even if you do get all the copper out.

    You probably just need to shoot it and see what happens at this point.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •