Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nitride salts or fouling

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    I have a question: I know ammonia-based solvents are not good for chrome lined barrels, especially if left to sit too long. But I was always under the impression that nitride was impervious to the things chrome wasn't, i.e. solvents. It *might* have been the only advantage I would have given to a nitrided barrel but apparently that isn't the case?
    Ammonia being bad for CL barrels is false. Its bad for decorative chrome and people drew a false correlation between the two.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Looks like simply more copper fouling to me OP.

Try patchout or wipeout with accelerator if you need all the copper gone.

Even using those products it will take several overnight iterations to get it all out.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I got it out. Not how I wanted but it is gone.

I took 2 of my powder coated bullets and rolled them with some 800 grit diamond lapping compound. I loaded them up with 1.2gr of bullseye. Shot them into the dirt behind the house. I then cleaned the barrel with some solvent. It removed whatever it was.

I took it out shooting yesterday and everything looks fine. And the bore is not rough as it looks. It is extremely smooth. The only thing you can feel is the gas port when you go over it. Not too happy on how much erosion is on the tailing edge but will keep an eye on it. This does not have hardly any rounds through it. My Sabre Defense SS match barrel has 4x as many rounds and the port on that has hardly any wear.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    I got it out. Not how I wanted but it is gone.

I took 2 of my powder coated bullets and rolled them with some 800 grit diamond lapping compound. I loaded them up with 1.2gr of bullseye. Shot them into the dirt behind the house. I then cleaned the barrel with some solvent. It removed whatever it was.

I took it out shooting yesterday and everything looks fine. And the bore is not rough as it looks. It is extremely smooth. The only thing you can feel is the gas port when you go over it. Not too happy on how much erosion is on the tailing edge but will keep an eye on it. This does not have hardly any rounds through it. My Sabre Defense SS match barrel has 4x as many rounds and the port on that has hardly any wear.
    So you decided to throw gravel down your barrel causing premature wear just to get some crap out that would have shot out over time anyway?
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    So you decided to throw gravel down your barrel causing premature wear just to get some crap out that would have shot out over time anyway?
    Vicious, CB...

Firelapping is a thing, but I would not expect 2 rounds to get the result you experienced. Here is a short article comparing pre and post lapping groups: http://www.accuratereloading.com/fire.html

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 06-29-22 at 07:16.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Vicious, CB...

Firelapping is a thing, but I would not expect 2 rounds to get the result you experienced. Here is a short article comparing pre and post lapping groups: http://www.accuratereloading.com/fire.html

Andy
    Yeah and I think its dumb. Ask any barrel mfg who would think this is a good idea.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Yeah and I think its dumb. Ask any barrel mfg who would think this is a good idea.
    I almost posted firelapping earlier, but was afraid that someone might take it seriously and actually do it. David Tubbs is a fan, but he sells it. Glen Zediker has claimed conservatively positive results in one of his books. I don’t think its <crazy>, but would not have likely bothered. For reference I shoot piles of powdercoated 9mm through a PCC and a significant amount of jacketed, but have zero bottlenecked experience.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I almost posted firelapping earlier, but was afraid that someone might take it seriously and actually do it. David Tubbs is a fan, but he sells it. Glen Zediker has claimed conservatively positive results in one of his books. I don’t think its <crazy>, but would not have likely bothered. For reference I shoot piles of powdercoated 9mm through a PCC and a significant amount of jacketed, but have zero bottlenecked experience.
    Its a great product for those who don't want to wait for their barrel to reach peak accuracy at 1-1.5k rounds in or don't care because they junk the barrel after a season of compeition anyway. But imagine the shooters who have zero clue what these things do and are throwing 10 of these rounds down their barrel throwing away 1000's of rounds worth of barrel life, its like flushing money down the toilet.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I think I am dumb. Your "gravel" post made me smile. I am sure firelapping has its place, but your post is spot on.

Andy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    This is a new barrel?

All you need to do is patch out anything loose and then shoot it.
    ^^^
    To the OP. Is it shooting pooly? I don't understand the obsession.

I only clean barrels when they get nasty, I only use mild solvent, and the majority of the time I use nylon brushes. Copper fouling can be a problem obviously, but I only mess chemicals on barrels that are really bad.

You don't want to deform the lands and grooves and coating with too much cleaning, especially with chemicals.

Just clean the crap out with nylon and shoot it.

As far as CHROME vs Nitride vs Stainless. I prefer chrome, and the bulk of my rifles are CHF, I have 2 Nitride (or Melonite whatever) I don't consider these as primary barrels. I only have 2 Stainless barrels, these do not shoot much better than my best CHF barrels. Less than 1 MOA with MK262 (or clone).

I'm sure there are really good Nitride barrels, but I'm just not sold yet.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 06-30-22 at 15:26.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast