Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Nitride salts or fouling

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
    Nitride barrels(60-65 rockwell) are as accurate as stainless (28-30 rockwell) and last much longer, the exterior of the Nitride barrel is also much more corrosion resistant than parkerized(manganese phosphate) chromelined barrels.
    If you don't use the wrong solvents or do the wrong things Melonite is better than chrome lined IMO. In 2009 I had 200 barrels made, 223 Wylde Polygonal 8 twist, testing before sending off for chrome they were shooting 3/4" easy enough. After sending them off to be chromelined they shot more like 2.5" with the same ammo. From what I can see the only thing a chrome-lined barrel does better than a Melonite treated barrel is handle heat under full auto fire.
    Consider the SCAR 17 with a CHF barrel. These rifles are very accurate (I have two of them). There are some very accurate chrome lined barrels being manufactured, but for the most part the accuracy of chrome lined barrels is considered lower.

An poorly made inaccurate barrel that is Melonited will still be inaccurate.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That sounds like a Faxon problem, there are other companies that produce Melonite treated barrels.
    If I had opened a business 15 years ago and every barrel or rifle I produced shot 2-3" groups like BCM, DD and all these other "professional" grade firearms I would have been out of business in a year. But then again there are a lot of people out there that are fine shooting a rifle that shoots 2-3" groups as long as it has a big name everyone can see.
    Now I'm getting a little perturbed. I have shot a 1/4 MOA with a 14.5" BCM BFH (CHF) light profile barrel with out of the box 77grain OTM (100 yards).

Are you talking range ammo, or match? You cannot ring out the potential accuracy of a barrel without trying different Match rounds to know how the barrel performs with various ammunition.

I know a lot of guys go out there with their boxes of crap M193 or M855, shoot 2-3" groups and call the barrel inaccurate. Some folks have never been properly trained to shoot too. 2 moa is combat accuracy in my opinion. And sometimes, even with match grade ammo guys cannot pull off tight groups with an AR. If you are trying to do it with a combat RDS, you are probably not getting real results either.

Many RDS allow to much shift depending on the placement of your eye behind the scope. The outside temperature Etc.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Nitride salts or fouling

The OP does crazy shit with lead bullets, so that’s why he wants to remove all fouliing, even if it required removal of the nitride layer as well.
    Last edited by grizzman; 06-30-22 at 17:11.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    The OP does crazy shit with lead bullets, so that’s why he wants to remove all fouliing, even if it required removal of the nitride layer as well.
    Yup.

He shortened the life of an otherwise good barrel by blasting those grit coated bullets down the pipe.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    Now I'm getting a little perturbed. I have shot a 1/4 MOA with a 14.5" BCM BFH (CHF) light profile barrel with out of the box 77grain OTM (100 yards).

Are you talking range ammo, or match? You cannot ring out the potential accuracy of a barrel without trying different Match rounds to know how the barrel performs with various ammunition.

I know a lot of guys go out there with their boxes of crap M193 or M855, shoot 2-3" groups and call the barrel inaccurate. Some folks have never been properly trained to shoot too. 2 moa is combat accuracy in my opinion. And sometimes, even with match grade ammo guys cannot pull off tight groups with an AR. If you are trying to do it with a combat RDS, you are probably not getting real results either.

Many RDS allow to much shift depending on the placement of your eye behind the scope. The outside temperature Etc.
    I started shooting benchrest and highpower in the early 80s, usually test with 69 and 77smks or Lapua. Chambered my first barrel by myself for my 16th birthday 1976.

Feedback Score
    I started shooting benchrest and highpower in the early 80s, usually test with 69 and 77smks or Lapua. Chambered my first barrel by myself for my 16th birthday 1976.
    My CL barrel shoots 1.3"@100yds. Did they open up the bore to allow for the chrome?
    Sounds like the job-shop messed up your barrel.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Yup.

He shortened the life of an otherwise good barrel by blasting those grit coated bullets down the pipe.
    You realize that that is how a barrel is hand lapped right. The problem comes into the light by going way too far.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I think I am dumb. Your "gravel" post made me smile. I am sure firelapping has its place, but your post is spot on.

Andy
    Ask any of the barrel manufacturers how they hand lap a barrel. You guys don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Feedback Score
    Brush, patch, Eyeball the bore and go to town.

That damn bore scope gets me into trouble too; all the imperfections on new barrels, even expensive ones get me riled up.

I have a mix of DD CL barrels, some Nitride ones, and one really cheap, phosphate, unlined barrel for a cheap AR, just to have another functioning gun. Even that cheap ass barrel will shoot inside of 4" @ 100 yards with standard XM193 and irons. If I tossed an optic on it, I have no doubt I could tighten it up.

I just remembered I have a BA barrel that has only a few rounds through it..let me check for comparison.

Stand by....

Ok, I don't know if I cleaned it before I put it up or if the round count is just that low but it's pretty spotless.

Muzzle end, some copper-ish coloring here, but very faint.

Lead-in (or whatever you call this part..and an imperfection too boot!)

Mid way down

Gas port

And for comparison, this is what a barrel with some good copper fouling looks like. Cheapo AR barrel, best guess, 4000 rounds.

Last edited by OutofBatt3ry; 07-03-22 at 16:21.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Ask any of the barrel manufacturers how they hand lap a barrel. You guys don't have a clue what you are talking about.
    You realize you are supposed to a lap a barrel BEFORE you nitride or chrome line it right?
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast