Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Worker shortage?

Feedback Score
    The worker shortage isn't limited to warehouse, restaurant, factory workers etc. It is a problem at the professional level as well. We had to close two OR's due to lack of nurses and scrub techs. Unable to fill multiple medical assistant positions at two offices as well, and we pay very well, average $20 /hr more than average. In addition, we provide the added benefit of providing weekly $100 gas cards to offset commuting costs. The situation was eventually resolved with excellent hires, but it took several months to eventually fill the positions.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    OK Boomer, listen up!
    My daughter is 15 and does makeup tutorials on social media. I won’t pretend to understand it but she pulls in over $1000/week in literally minutes a day.
    I'm going to have to call BS on this... BIG TIME!

In an arena filled with literally tens of thousands of similar "makeup tutorial" channels, almost all teen girls trying to become YT famous, she would have to consistently have something past 200k views per video to generate that sort of revenue. There are wildly popular young actresses and singers that have millions of subscribers that can barely reach that many views per upload, so I'm going to call it as I see it.

A good friend of mine is a professional musician with a YT channel, odds are someone who's name you wouldn't recognize, but has released her own records, plays with well known artists, appears as a guest on YT channels like Norman's Rare Guitars (multiple times), tours regularly, travels between multiple countries for shows, etc, etc, etc. Yet even with nearly three-quarters of a million subscribers, about 60m views, averaging 215k/wk she can barely break $1k in a week in YT monetization. And these videos aren't just "minutes a day", but rather highly produced on expensive equipment, computers, lighting, etc. She has a B rating and still has to work her butt off to maintain that rating and those numbers. We're talking someone who

About all I can say is... "Show me the analytics"
    Last edited by Dusty T; 06-25-22 at 10:59.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Backfire View Post
    I am not convinced that everyone is hiring, and no one is applying.
    Somone tries to get a job at a bank, gets a recruiter interview but recruiter never calls at appointment time, weird. Burger king knows it can close the dining area (learned convieniently from covid) and operate with only drive thru and cook.
    Any business can give crappy service with minimal staff and help wanted signs, under the guise that no one is applying.
    Why? Expecting superinflation and trying to keep pricing under control while maintaining training profit.
    Service industries like restaurants will hire but collapse the hours of operation, but ARE staffed.
    You telling me people will serve food but UPS can't find people?

Spider sense tingling
    As someone who hires people, its true. The pool is horrible and everyone is leaving. Im in manufacturing and a lot of people are retiring, people are going to "greener pastures" (lol), and a lot of people dont like real meaningful work, and its not generational.

Especially in the hourly shop-floor jobs, finding talent is very difficult, even with significant pay increases.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Backfire View Post
    You telling me people will serve food but UPS can't find people?
    I can't speak to other cities but around here every time a see UPS driver they are running or at least hustling. We get all of our medical supplies delivered to our hanger and they are always in a mad rush... "Hey everybody how's it going... Six boxes, these three need signatures, sign here, have a nice day, gotta go...!" And zoom they are gone in a flash. As far as I can tell not exactly a job for the sullen & lazy. The complete opposite of what I see when going out to restaurants with friends where staff often act like it's a burden to take your order, at least until tip-time when they suddenly act all cheery and pleasant.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty T View Post
    I'm going to have to call BS on this... BIG TIME!

In an arena filled with literally tens of thousands of similar "makeup tutorial" channels, almost all teen girls trying to become YT famous, she would have to consistently have something past 200k views per video to generate that sort of revenue. There are wildly popular young actresses and singers that have millions of subscribers that can barely reach that many views per upload, so I'm going to call it as I see it.
    Did he say YouTube? Could be OnlyFans.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234