Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Worker shortage?

Feedback Score

Worker shortage?

I am not convinced that everyone is hiring, and no one is applying.
    Somone tries to get a job at a bank, gets a recruiter interview but recruiter never calls at appointment time, weird. Burger king knows it can close the dining area (learned convieniently from covid) and operate with only drive thru and cook.
    Any business can give crappy service with minimal staff and help wanted signs, under the guise that no one is applying.
    Why? Expecting superinflation and trying to keep pricing under control while maintaining training profit.
    Service industries like restaurants will hire but collapse the hours of operation, but ARE staffed.
    You telling me people will serve food but UPS can't find people?

Spider sense tingling

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't know about the food industry but our shop has been in hiring mode for a long time in all the departments and no one is applying.
    I work for a major truck shop that pays well.
    The ones who do get hired are so stupid and lazy that they cause more problems and cost money to have them.
    They get to collect a check because management won't let them go because there is no one to replace them.
    At this point they are just a warm body.
    If they pass the two point mirror test then they get hired.
    If they can fog a mirror and not start licking it then they are deemed worthy.

Feedback Score
    Well my construction firm is hiring. Admin roles we get applicants, and some good ones included. We encourage remote work and flexibility there which helps recruit.

Field roles, imma just start going to the morgue. The dead guys are more motivated, work harder, think more, and they stay where I put em.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    Railroad industry is trying to hire.

Their problem is that management at all the big Class 1’s are so obsessed with operating ratios that they spent the last 7 years hacking and slashing manpower and treating everyone who remains like slaves. Now the word is out, and no one wants to work out here.

We’re currently in a 30 day cooling off period before we can go on strike. That’s how bad it is. I hope we can, but it will last maybe 2 hours tops before Sleepy Joe orders us back to work and appoints a PEB.

Feedback Score
    Well where is everyone e getting money to live?
    Railroad would be a good career, same with UPS.
    Is unemployment still paying from covid benefits...
    How are people living with so many jobs open.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by One More Time View Post
    The ones who do get hired are so stupid and lazy that they cause more problems and cost money to have them.
    They get to collect a check because management won't let them go because there is no one to replace them.
    At this point they are just a warm body.
    If they pass the two point mirror test then they get hired.
    If they can fog a mirror and not start licking it then they are deemed worthy.
    This is my work too! Fukking goobers who're rarely at their desk. Watching movies on their phone when they are at their desk. Pretty lazy and dumb. Many are pot head morons. It's pretty discouraging.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Railroad industry is trying to hire.

Their problem is that management at all the big Class 1’s are so obsessed with operating ratios that they spent the last 7 years hacking and slashing manpower and treating everyone who remains like slaves. Now the word is out, and no one wants to work out here.

We’re currently in a 30 day cooling off period before we can go on strike. That’s how bad it is. I hope we can, but it will last maybe 2 hours tops before Sleepy Joe orders us back to work and appoints a PEB.
    I got an email from a recruiting company a couple days ago that BNSF was looking to hire an apprentice signalman in my area. I lol'd and said "yeah, no thanks". Briefly considered the other position they offered in that same email, though...Server at Appleby's.

It totally sucks what the railroad has become. BNSF and the refinery used to be THE places to work around here back when I was growing up. Although back then, it was just Santa Fe, IIRC. Refinery closed and railroad is slave labor.

I guess I could always go back to Tech, but I really don't want to. We'll see.

I'm almost wondering if some companies are advertising openings that they have no intention of filling. Is there some term or clause in some of that Rona PPP stuff that would incentivize them in that direction?
    Last edited by kerplode; 06-23-22 at 14:23.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Backfire View Post
    I am not convinced that everyone is hiring, and no one is applying.
    You don’t know anyone who owns or runs a small business.

Feedback Score
    I agree with you Todd. My neighbor is a plumber. He needs to hire at least one maybe two more journeymen and would be willing to hire apprentices. He can’t get anybody willing to work for $80k to start.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There are no jobs out there.

Yeah. Unless you wanna work 40 hours a week.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast