Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tips/tricks for keeping DOPE on the gun

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    After taking a DMR class with Jim Kauber a couple of years ago, I make a small copy of my DOPE card and tape it to my stock. Ammo, outside air temp and elevation of the DOPE included. This is on my LMT MWS w/ NF SHV 4-14 F1. I have the a similar DOPE setup for my BCM 14.5 ELW-F w/ 1-10 Razor.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgs130 View Post
    After taking a DMR class with Jim Kauber a couple of years ago, I make a small copy of my DOPE card and tape it to my stock. Ammo, outside air temp and elevation of the DOPE included. This is on my LMT MWS w/ NF SHV 4-14 F1. I have the a similar DOPE setup for my BCM 14.5 ELW-F w/ 1-10 Razor.

So really stupid question - that’s to dial on a turret right? Not some reference to the stadia?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    So really stupid question - that’s to dial on a turret right? Not some reference to the stadia?

It works either way. You can dial the turrets or do holds, as long as the reticle and turrets match each other (i.e. they both use MRAD) then it works. Some people prefer to do holds for both elevation and wind as much as possible, others like me will dial elevation and hold for wind.

As for the "best" way to keep dope data with your gun, there are lots of methods. When I did my first PRS rimfire match, I went and created a series of cards and stuffed them into a arm board so I could glance down at my arm. It turns out that it was unnecessary since the target distances are known ahead of time. So I instead just slapped a piece of tape the top with the dope for each target in the stage. Other competitors had little attachments mounted to their guns that held little plastic boards for doing the same. The super fancy ones had digital e-paper style readers that displayed the dope for the stage.

Here's a picture of the arm board I use. It's a Tyr Tactical minimalist model.

The actual cards are like 2" x 4.25" and I work them up using JBM ballistics and my own chrono data. Then I laminate them. This particular one is for my Tikka T1x 22lr

I saved a template that anyone can download and make their own versions here. If you don't mind a little self promotion, it's at the bottom of this article: Custom Dope Cards. These don't have to go in an arm board. You could easily tape it to anything.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post

Like Brigand said, it works either way. The mils are referencing the stadia graduations. The NF on my MWS has more of a conventional reticle with exposed turrets, so my preference is to dial for distance (elevation) and hold for wind / target movement. With the 1-10 Razor having the Christmas tree reticle and capped turrets, my preference is to hold for both distance and wind.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

This is great but what do you do if you laze something at 342 yards?

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    This is great but what do you do if you laze something at 342 yards?
    2.1 mils…

Though I’m dubious on this data as we are seeing 0.9 between each 100y then 1.4 mils between 400-500 but as we lose speed up to 1.1mils from 500-600. Something ain’t right
    Last edited by pointblank4445; 06-26-22 at 11:14.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Caveats- Work guns, same guns with similar dope, dialing for elevation and holding wind. I memorize 100-500 in 50yd increments, backed up with 100yd increments written on the front lens cap. I've also sharpied or paint-penned dope along the L side of the receiver (R handed shooter). A card/table on the receiver extension can work, but those tend to come off or need more movement to view.

Small changes in atmospherics may not matter much/enough to warrant changes. Run the tables, shoot to true, and see for your gun/load.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    2.1 mils…

Though I’m dubious on this data as we are seeing 0.9 between each 100y then 1.4 mils between 400-500 but as we lose speed up to 1.1mils from 500-600. Something ain’t right
    For me running 69gr Black Hills SMK ammo at 2700 FPS (I feel this is fair for a 16-18" DMR?)

I get

200y 0.5
    300y 1.3
    400y 2.4
    500y 3.7
    600y 5.3

So 0.5, 0.8, 1.1, 1.3, and 1.6 between each distance, respectively.

I'm not seeing how he could be getting 0.8 at 200y but only 5.1 at 600y.

Korgs can you share your projectile, sight height, and speed?
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 06-30-22 at 16:52.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    After taking a DMR class with Jim Kauber a couple of years ago, I make a small copy of my DOPE card and tape it to my stock. Ammo, outside air temp and elevation of the DOPE included.
    I do the same thing on all my rifles, albeit taped to the side of the stock- instantly tells the shooter where the rifle is zeroed / for what load / altitude / temp.

Yeah, it's not a replacement for Strelok Pro nor a gucci chart with laser range finding and environmental quirks.

But it gives you a quick reference and a starting point to TLAR it / interpolate as needed.

In short, it's better than nothing which is what you'll have with only your rifle without it.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post

In short, it's better than nothing which is what you'll have with only your rifle without it.
    I don’t mean this in a condescending way whatsoever but what is the issue with memorizing? It’s 5 sets of numbers.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast