Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips/tricks for keeping DOPE on the gun

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Tips/tricks for keeping DOPE on the gun

This forum has started drifting into lots of politics and current events and less shooting over the past few years and I think several of us need a break. Plus, I know next to nothing about precision and/or medium range engagements but will be shooting a match in a couple of weeks with targets out to 600yds. The gun is a 14.5 BCM ELW BFH with MRAD Razor 1-10 zero’d at 50yds.

My memory sucks, especially when it comes to numbers, and this is a run and gun so I’ll be physically smoked by the time I get to this stage. I’ve chrono’d the 77gr FGMM that I’ll be using for the distance targets and thrown the data into StrelokPro (hopefully correctly). What’s the best way to reference these holds? Only thing I can come up with is trying to print one of these pictures and use packaging tape to kind of laminate it and adhere it to my stock.

Hoping some of you guys have better ideas.

ETA - Rifle targets will range from 60 yards out to 600 yards. 6" or 8" round or diamond targets ranging from 60 to 90 yards. 10" round or diamond targets at 100 yards, 12" round or diamond at 200 yards, ABC aka BBC 12"X24" at 300 yards, 18"X22" at 400 yards, full size IPSC 18"X30 at 500 and 600 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 06-23-22 at 16:04.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I shoot PRS. I have shot enough to know how many mils corresponds to roughly what distance. IE 1.1 is 300y. 7.6 is 1000y

On stages where there is a lot of target changes with random distances I use a rubber wire with an alligator clip and attach an index card with the values I need for that stage.

My guess is that your targets will be big enough at a carbine match that you won’t really have that issue. I can’t imagine you shooting 4” plates at 300y. Still you can use the above method or just memorize to get you close.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Are these known distance targets? If so, you can map out your course of fire with holds. I wouldn’t rely on ballistics app to be correct at every distance especially if you’re zero’d at 50 and extrapolating to 600. You might be close if you have the correct muzzle velocity and height over bore. It’d be better if you could validate your drop at some intermediate distance such as 200, if not at every 100 yard increment.

Having said that, I’ve found a mini-map was very helpful to me for a fixed course of fire with known distance targets. For example, if the targets are located roughly as below. I might shoot left to right, 200, then 600 just behind it then the 400 to the right using the holds written on my map.

600 yards_4.0

…………………………………. 400 yards_2.0

200 yards_0.2

ETA: That picture from StrelokPro is way too cluttered for me. If you have unknown distance targets and just need a reference table, then a plain spreadsheet with drops every 50 yards is much easier to read.
    Last edited by crosseyedshooter; 06-23-22 at 15:21.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    https://www.scheels.com/p/under-armo...1-UA20820.html

I used to use this on my support forearm for hunting, I thought it was very useful for quickly getting dope. Since I rarely shoot multiple ranges/targets when hunting I just went back to taping the dope to the stock which also works well and quickly.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Tips/tricks for keeping DOPE on the gun

I updated the OP with what info we were given about the targets, I appreciate the thoughts so far. Maybe I should just take a piece of Rite in the Rain paper and hand write in the stadia and approximate yardage for each? I do believe I got all of the environmental data pretty close, as well as height over bore. Unfortunately I'm preparing for a move and won't be able to confirm hits at various differences so I'm rolling in with minimal prep.

Last edited by Wake27; 06-23-22 at 16:16.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    I've done "cheat sheets" and reticle mappings like the above scaled down and printed out and clear taped to my buffer tube just behind the castle nut. I used to put this on the inside of my eyepiece lens cover but offset red dots took this out of play. I'll note that it helps de-clutter if you do the half-mil values on one side and the full mil values on the other to clean things up a bit if you find you MUST have both.

I'll normally do an "average" atmospheric dope chart (dope for every 50y out to whatever...usually 650-700 for AR depending on config) taped to either the left side of the scope forward the rear diopter or the left side of the gun's receiver.

I've done the QB armband thing and its not always accessible all the time when built up....I put things on my gun where it doesn't require a ton of movement.
    Last edited by pointblank4445; 06-23-22 at 16:40.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I would ditch the 50 yard zero if you're getting into more precise holds using mils. Since you already have chronograph data, try the speed drop concept. Your typical run and gun AR match should have meatball sized targets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU7CRZazZm8&t=183s

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    If you can shoot out to 3-4-5 hundred and check DOPE and titrate backwards. BC you want to be dead on at further distances vs very close shots, 50-200 pops. I had a DOA 600 scope from Bushnell that gave stadia marks out to 600, it suggested you zero at 200 then the reticle will do the rest. I zeroed at 500 then worked back knowing Im not missing a Deer / Elk at 200. Back when 600 was a looong shot.

Just one consideration. And a laminated card is a good idea, could put in bill of your cap if that works for you, but have handy either way.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 06-24-22 at 12:46.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Make sure to have the ambient temperature correct.
    It made a huge difference for me... like a mil at 650.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Make sure to have the ambient temperature correct.
    It made a huge difference for me... like a mil at 650.
    Huh, would not have guessed that. It’ll be at least 10-15* hotter for the match and maybe 1-2k feet lower…

Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast