Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tips/tricks for keeping DOPE on the gun

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I don’t mean this in a condescending way whatsoever but what is the issue with memorizing? It’s 5 sets of numbers.
    Personally, I’ve never been great with numbers and my last TBI really screwed up some parts of my memory so I’m not optimistic on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    For me running 69gr Black Hills SMK ammo at 2700 FPS (I feel this is fair for a 16-18" DMR?)

I get

200y 0.5
    300y 1.3
    400y 2.4
    500y 3.7
    600y 5.3

So 0.5, 0.8, 1.1, 1.3, and 1.6 between each distance, respectively.

I'm not seeing how he could be getting 0.8 at 200y but only 5.1 at 600y.

Korgs can you share your projectile, sight height, and speed?
    Here is what I was shooting:

- LMT MWS with 16” chrome lined barrel
    - Sight height: 1.54”
    - Ammo: Federal Premium Gold Metal Match 308
    - Projectile: 168 grain Sierra Match King
    - Elevation: 862’
    - Temp: 90 degrees F

I don’t have the either the muzzle velocity or the barometric pressure. The main focus of the class was accomplishing the DMR role without the use of electronic. So no Streloks, no Kestrels. We did the math old school, with a pen and paper, to estimate our come-ups for 200-600 yards prior to hitting the range. After zeroing, the we spend next couple of hours verifying and adjusting our actual numbers at 200/300/400/500/600.

That DOPE is what I actually shot and verified at each of those distances. Some deviation from what I calculated in the class room, and some deviation from what I get when I run it through iStrelok estimating the baro and muzzle velocity. I don’t have enough knowledge or experience to explain those slight differences.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I don’t mean this in a condescending way whatsoever but what is the issue with memorizing? It’s 5 sets of numbers.
    I'm sure if I was on duty / serving and had one rifle, with one optic, with one ammunition, that wouldn't be a problem.

Even then, a quick reference guide costs about 5 min and $0.75 to make. Nice for a refresher or if someone else is using the rifle.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Tips/tricks for keeping DOPE on the gun

So this is what I came up with so far. It was a blend of my original idea with some tweaks based on feedback here. It’s Rite in the Rain paper and ink so that part should be fine but I’m not sure that the packing tape will hold through the run n gun.

I’m considering playing around with a paint pen on the inside of my elevation turret cap. I’d obviously have to pull it off to see it but at least it’d be protected from wiping off. I think I’d pick a few big values from the chart though - maybe 300, 450, and 600.

Last edited by Wake27; 07-02-22 at 18:57.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I’m considering playing around with a paint pen on the inside of my elevation turret cap. I’d obviously have to pull it off to see it but at least it’d be protected from wiping off. I think I’d pick a few big values from the chart though - maybe 300, 450, and 600.
    Inside the cap limits use, a paint pen on the outside will hold up well. Depending on the size of your cap, put your first several hundred on the elevation and the rest on the windage. Lots of options.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Tips/tricks for keeping DOPE on the gun

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Inside the cap limits use, a paint pen on the outside will hold up well. Depending on the size of your cap, put your first several hundred on the elevation and the rest on the windage. Lots of options.
    Think it’ll hold even if I’m dripping sweat right on it and it’s rubbing against my kit for several miles in the heat?

ETA - guess I could do both just to be safe. Am I the only one that wants the diagram? Starting to see that most people just use the mil values…

Last edited by Wake27; 07-02-22 at 19:22.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post

ETA - guess I could do both just to be safe. Am I the only one that wants the diagram? Starting to see that most people just use the mil values…
    Depends on the gun/game/optic. With PRS where I'm mostly fighting stability and wind, it makes more sense for me to have yardage dope so I can just as easily hold or dial with that info (especially if your reticle makes you hold off in no-stadia-land for your solution) in this context of generally known distances. If we're 3-gunnin' or DMR'ing stuff, and I can get away with finding the best hold point/solution and sending it to an appropriately sized target then I've done the reticle map thing as well.

All that said, it's mostly a question of how you prefer to process your information and where you want your more psychologically satisfying numbers:

2 mil = 381 yards
    or
    2.1 mil = 400 yards

With that, most of us estimate in increments of 100, 50, 25y depending on the overall distance and skill.
    Last edited by pointblank4445; 07-03-22 at 14:17.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    Depends on the gun/game/optic. With PRS where I'm mostly fighting stability and wind, it makes more sense for me to have yardage dope so I can just as easily hold or dial with that info (especially if your reticle makes you hold off in no-stadia-land for your solution) in this context of generally known distances. If we're 3-gunnin' or DMR'ing stuff, and I can get away with finding the best hold point/solution and sending it to an appropriately sized target then I've done the reticle map thing as well.

All that said, it's mostly a question of how you prefer to process your information and where you want your more psychologically satisfying numbers:

2 mil = 381 yards
    or
    2.1 mil = 400 yards

With that, most of us estimate in increments of 100, 50, 25y depending on the overall distance and skill.
    Thanks.

I don’t know how I’ll like it so I have both setup. The photo above with the reticle and corresponding stadia and then on the turret caps I have KD holds for every 50m from 250-700. Figured I’ll dry fire with both and just let my brain pick whichever it likes in the moment. If the caps don’t rub off, that already feels a bit cleaner/faster even though I’m a visual person.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Disappointed in myself that I didn’t use these references more yesterday. The fact I was on the clock and pretty smoked I think just caused me to rush on most of the stages. I used the .mil holds on the turret caps a few times and I think it helped but I should’ve looked more.

It wasn’t a great place to test out the concept with all of the variables but I shot the stages better than last time so it was an improvement at least. Once I get to NC, I’m going to try and find a dedicated LPVO course that focuses on 300-600m if I can.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Well in any case good on ya for getting out there and doing it. I submit that it WAS a great place to test the concept. You probably learned more that way, right? I love your graphic, that's an easily-digested format.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast