Thread: H322 lot change test

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

H322 lot change test

I'm coming to the end of my unknown blend of possibly a few lots of H322 and starting a new same lot set of 10 lbs.

Out of curiosity, I thought to weigh the same setting on my 550B with the old/existing powder and the new lot.

Interestingly enough the load charge is 22.5 grains.

The new powder at that same setting weighed 22.8. three tenths of a grain heavier.

I reset the powder bar and am going to shoot the the two lots head to head with the same weight of 22.5gr this weekend.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    This has my interest.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I'm coming to the end of my unknown blend of possibly a few lots of H322 and starting a new same lot set of 10 lbs.
    Pretty sure that on those powders with numbers (Like H322) -

That the bigger the number (H335) - The more gooder the powder is!

That and bigger jugs of it...

No qualms here about busting out a few clean 5 gallon paint buckets to 'blend' different lot #s of the same powder if I feel the need. 'Prefer' to have them be the same lot # if possible but not scared to make them all the same lot number...

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I've had TAC change from 25.5 to 25.0 when switching lots. It was immediately visible. I charge my cases in 50 round trays and look at all of them prior to running through the progressive to seat and crimp.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by opngrnd View Post
    I've had TAC change from 25.5 to 25.0 when switching lots. It was immediately visible. I charge my cases in 50 round trays and look at all of them prior to running through the progressive to seat and crimp.
    You could see a half grain difference with your eyes looking down into the case?

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    You could see a half grain difference with your eyes looking down into the case?
    Very easily. At 25.5gr the powder approaches the neck of the cartridge, so at 25gr the change was apparent. I pretty sure anyone with decent vision would have noticed.

I look at each tray from an angle under a bright light. Changes are apparent
    Last edited by opngrnd; 06-25-22 at 13:03.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Breath held Mark.
    Betting new lot is slower. I’d have used same volume, unless you’re at max with 22.5 gr.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    No qualms here about busting out a few clean 5 gallon paint buckets to 'blend' different lot #s of the same powder if I feel the need. 'Prefer' to have them be the same lot # if possible but not scared to make them all the same lot number...
    No doubt. I have done this before.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Betting new lot is slower. I’d have used same volume, unless you’re at max with 22.5 gr.
    And you're right. The same volume of powder might have put the velocities close, but I backed it down to get an exact head to head.

Wolf Primers and 69gr RMR OTMs

Old lot 2795 fps SD 4 (so nice to load some single digit SD ammo after using those damned CCI primers for the last month)

New lot 2754 fps SD 11

41 fps slower for the same weight of 22.5 gr

Last edited by markm; 06-26-22 at 10:00.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v