Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7.62x51mm Ammo Question RE: PMC X-TAC, Magtech, Sellier & Bellot, PPU/Prvi Partizan

Feedback Score

7.62x51mm Ammo Question RE: PMC X-TAC, Magtech, Sellier & Bellot, PPU/Prvi Partizan

Hello,

My ammo supply for my FALs needs to be restocked, and the brands mentioned below always seem to be a little more readily available.

So, when it comes to current production 7.62x51mm ammunition, which one would you pick if choosing from the following makers? PMC X-TAC (7.62X), Magtech (762A), Sellier & Bellot (SB762A), PPU/Prvi Partizan Rangemaster (PPRM762).

Thanks,

Bob Reed
    Last edited by Bob Reed; 06-27-22 at 12:13. Reason: Typo
    Gun-control is created by scum-tyrants, enforced by oath-breakers and supported by fools that's too ignorant to understand the Importance of being Armed.

When America was a "free country", people could mail order machine guns without question - and that's how it should still be.

I'd rather beat a bad guy to death with my Browning Hi-Power, than shoot him dead with a 'plastic' pistol.

If your path demands you to walk through Hell, walk like you own the place.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm not a 7.62 shooter, but all those brands are of decent quality. Have you tried them? If so, did one shoot better?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    IMI is my preferred brand for ball ammo these days.

That being said, I'd buy any of the brands you listed and confidently feed them to my FALs. TBH, they're all pretty equivalent but what'd I'd probably do is get a box of each, test them, then downselect based on price, function, and accuracy in your rifle.

Feedback Score
    Hello, Tom. I've exclusively been using PMC and S&B in 9mm & .45 AUTO for quite some time now, but I haven't used any of the mentioned 7.62 loads.
    Gun-control is created by scum-tyrants, enforced by oath-breakers and supported by fools that's too ignorant to understand the Importance of being Armed.

When America was a "free country", people could mail order machine guns without question - and that's how it should still be.

I'd rather beat a bad guy to death with my Browning Hi-Power, than shoot him dead with a 'plastic' pistol.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    At some point or another, I've used all of those. Thye all are good choices. Of the bunch, Magtech (CBC brass) probably has given me the most milage, because I've reloaded the cases several times, and still have some floating around.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies,

Odd times indeed, now I need to buy 7.62 ball ammo for a lot more per-round, than I gave for quality .308 hunting ammunition that I got for cost from a shop I use to do work for. Now, that same .308 hunting ammo cost 2-3 times more than the 7.62 ball - that I need to buy, in order to not waste money!

BTW: Of course, trying a coupla boxes of each brand is the way to go, but the ammo is for more than one FAL, so we just buy a larger supply, adjust the sights to that make/load and stay with it till it's gone, or hopefully, be able to keep it stocked if it's something that generally stays in-stock. Also, considering how well liked Magtech's 5.56mm ammo is, I figured their 7.62mm ammo would be more talked about.
    Last edited by Bob Reed; 06-26-22 at 21:27.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    If I was buying low end 762 ammo to feed a beast, I would consider adding MEN 147 grain ball. It’s great ball ammo and the brass is GTG.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Hello, PB,

Yes! If MEN (and Lithuanian GGG) stayed readily available, I'd probably look no further.
    Last edited by Bob Reed; 06-27-22 at 11:48. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    Looking into this myself for my Tavor 7.

I have used Magtech (Brazil) and it was fine. (But steel jacket)

Anyone tried Igman (Bosnia) , Famae (Chile), Aguila (Mexico), or ZSR (Turkey)?

I understand this is all 4 moa ammo for belt feds but some might be more consistent than others. I do want reliable ignition, a NON-steel bullet, and low-flash powder would be nice.
    Last edited by Ron3; 10-09-22 at 20:10.

Feedback Score
    I don't know how the PPU rangemaster compares to the 7.62x51 PPU in the thick plastic 200rd "battle packs", but that stuff was always good ammo for me. Ran great in an FAL, HK91 clone, and an AR10.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast