Page 295 of 460 FirstFirst ... 195245285293294295296297305345395 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,950 of 4599

Thread: Russian invasion of Ukraine discussion

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Those aren't even speed bumps when it comes to modern armor.

Feedback Score
    This war has become a parody of itself…
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    This war has become a parody of itself…
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Alright as much as I despise Pootieboi and his orc minions, and as much as I would love this T-34 thing to be true just for laughs, I ain't buying it. This has gotta be BS.

I did see something a while back about Laos returning some 34's to Russia. Maybe that is where these meme worthy photos are coming from.

Strictly hypothetically, and purely as infantry support, it does not take a top of the line tank to assist infantry advances. I mean realistically a T-34 is better than nothing. Well, at least a little better.

Still not buying it though.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Slovenia gave Ukraine 28 T-55S's but it's an apples to oranges thing as I don't believe the Russians we quite as capable.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidax...h=7d9f93a07b3f

But it’s a cheap and reliable platform. And a solid foundation for ambitious upgrades—few more ambitious than the M-55S. In the late 1990s, the Slovenian army paid Israeli firm Elbit and STO RAVNE in Slovenia to modify 30 T-55s. The companies delivered the last example in 1999.

The M-55S has a stabilized, British-made L7 105-millimeter main gun in place of the original Soviet 100-millimeter gun. The British gun is compatible with a wide range of modern ammunition, including armor-piercing sabot rounds that can penetrate the armor of a modern-ish T-72.

To point the gun, Elbit installed a new fire-control computer that allows the M-55S to shoot while moving. A T-55 normally stops before firing.

A T-55 has four crew—a commander, gunner, loader and driver. Only the gunner can aim the gun. The M-55S adds an independent sight for the commander so they can aim the gun, too.

For protection, the M-55S adds a laser-warning system that alerts the crew and deploys smoke grenades when an anti-tank missile is incoming. The Slovenian tank also has a new armor mix—explosive reactive blocks on top of passive armor.

Finally, a new engine with 600 horsepower, giving the 36-ton tank roughly the same mobility as a T-72. All that is to say, the M-55S isn’t really a T-55. It’s the bones of a T-55 with a new brain, new muscles and new skin.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    Alright as much as I despise Pootieboi and his orc minions, and as much as I would love this T-34 thing to be true just for laughs, I ain't buying it. This has gotta be BS.

I did see something a while back about Laos returning some 34's to Russia. Maybe that is where these meme worthy photos are coming from.

Strictly hypothetically, and purely as infantry support, it does not take a top of the line tank to assist infantry advances. I mean realistically a T-34 is better than nothing. Well, at least a little better.

And a year ago would you have believed Russia would be pulling T-54's out of storage to send to the front? I don't think they will get desperate enough to use T-34's but mounting naval anti air deck gun mounts on top of APC's is really bad. To operate those 12.7 and 14.5 dual gun setups a man is going to have to be standing on top of the APC, that is Mad Max type shit.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 03-22-23 at 10:13.

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Lightbulb

It was a joke. That's why I said, "coming up next," like SNL back in the 1970s.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    And a year ago would you have believed Russia would be pulling T-54's out of storage to send to the front? I don't think they will get desperate enough to use T-34's but mounting naval anti air deck gun mounts on top of APC's is really bad. To operate those 12.7 and 14.5 dual gun setups a man is going to have to be standing on top of the APC, that is Mad Max type shit.
    I'm looking at it from the perspective of us trying to field freaking Shermans. Where the hell would we find operational M4 tanks? How much effort would be required to put any real number into service and would it even be worth the trouble?

I don't know man you may be better off in terms of numbers and effectiveness going "Mad Max" than trying to field old, broken down, scrap.

Put BA and Murdoch to building some crazy shit.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    It was a joke. That's why I said, "coming up next," like SNL back in the 1970s.
    Gotcha. Sarcasm detector is on the fritz again.

Of course with this conflict it's really hard to tell sometimes.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I'm looking at it from the perspective of us trying to field freaking Shermans. Where the hell would we find operational M4 tanks? How much effort would be required to put any real number into service and would it even be worth the trouble?

I don't know man you may be better off in terms of numbers and effectiveness going "Mad Max" than trying to field old, broken down, scrap.

Put BA and Murdoch to building some crazy shit.
    Israel

The Sherman M-50 and the Sherman M-51, both often referred to abroad as the Super Sherman, were modified versions of the American M4 Sherman tank that served with the Israel Defense Forces from the mid-1950s to early 1980s.

But seriously I got to wondering what happened to all the M60's and found this, more than 5,000 still going strong.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/re...go-down-190719

The M60 Patton was the mainstay of the U.S tank fleet in the 1960s and 1970s, before being replaced by the M1 Abrams tank currently in service. However, more than five thousand Pattons remain in service in the armies of nineteen countries. Earlier this year, Raytheon unveiled its Service-Life Extension Package (SLEP) upgrade featuring a new engine, fire control system and 120-millimeter gun.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 03-22-23 at 11:45.

Page 295 of 460 FirstFirst ... 195245285293294295296297305345395 ... LastLast