Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suppressor design for AR 223 assistance

Feedback Score

Suppressor design for AR 223 assistance

Good day guys. I am from South Africa. Firstly I want to thank the management of this forum to allow me membership. I truly am honored. We in SA do not have any restrictions on silencers/suppressors and there are many manufacturers. The AR suppressors available has the tendency to blow all the carbon back into the chamber or/and give the blow back of gasses into your face. Do you experience this as well? The silencers/suppressors we have are mostly designed for hunting rifles. Therefore the guys here try to use them on the Ar's as well. I am of the opinion that it is either dangerous or a misuse and may cause serious problems. The cans are not constructed for the fast paced shooting of a semi-auto firearm.

Furthermore I believe that one needs a can that will enable you to get the gasses forward through the holes next to the exit point on the can. It will assist in better recoil management as well as the keeping clean of your chamber... am I seeing this in the correct way of thinking?

I bought a can and used it on my AR. It is from a very reputable manufacturer, but it was not designed for the AR. In the process I saw some flames later on in the area of the gas port as well as the chamber while my son was shooting with the rifle. It works well, but I rather be safe then sorry. The funny exit of gas and flames make me wonder... please guys, my experience form the USA crowd is that you are always willing to share knowledge and your service is good. Even the top pro's are always willing to help, and in SA you need to first put money down before you get reaction... that is when guys get bigger than the game...

I thank you
    Last edited by NPvanderMerwe; 06-27-22 at 04:30.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Flow thru designs definitely help to mitigate gas coming back through the gun but they’re not necessary. It’s really a combination of things - gas port size on the barrel and suppressor design will be the two biggest. Buffers, buffer springs, adjustable gas blocks, and various enhanced or suppressed BCGs all can and do play a role.

I don’t know what you guys have there but the trend for AR manufacturers here is to use larger gas ports for increased reliability. Unfortunately that also means more recoil and once suppressed, gas coming back into the gun. I think a lot of design traits and manufacturing capability does go into cans that are designed for hirer rates of fire so that may absolutely be playing a part in it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I will say that I'm not an expert of flow dynamics, by any means, and have only owned suppressors for less than a year, but I have been doing quite a bit of reading and have been shooting for 40 years. That said, I don't think that all the effects of a high back pressure suppressor can be mitigated with a smaller gas port and/or heavier buffers in an AR. My understanding is that while a smaller gas port will help mitigate the gas pressure used to cycle the action and both reduce action speed/violence and prevent too early unlocking, it does little to mitigate the increased gas and carbon coming down the barrel from a non-flowthrough suppressor. IMO, a flowthrough/forward venting suppressor is the only way to mitigate this.

However, if a flowthrough can isn't available to you, you should definitely go with an adjustable gas block, or preferably a restricted gas tube from Black River Tactical. Available here: https://blackrivertactical.com/WP/Ad...Drive-c6464009 They really work, and don't have the issues that an adjustable gas block has. And as Wake27 wrote, a heavier buffer will also help, but I would get the adjustable gas block or restricted gas tube first before messing with the buffer.

Tell us a little more about your rifle, if you don't mind. Barrel length, gas system length, buffer weight, manufacturer, etc. It will help people give you more accurate advice.
    Last edited by georgeib; 06-27-22 at 10:34.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    I haven’t tried a flow through suppressor, but my only can is .30 caliber. I don’t notice any gas to face when shooting 5.56 from an 11.5” BCM.

Feedback Score
    OK, thank you guys so far. I think we must first look into a part that I might have not experience of, and the reason is the following: what do you need a suppressor/silencer for, as the answer to the type of can lies in the application? First of all, I present training. For younger kids and novice shooters, the sounds and the recoil is sometimes a bit to much. So I do not want a child or novice shooter to be put off due to the blow back, and the flames of the explosion coming out of the wrong holes. So safety and training is an objective here. If we move forward to more tactical training, my question is that going through for arguments sake x 5 30 round magazines, the can is going to be hot... is the suppressor designed to take that much beating? Presenting Urban Tactical training within a building, the can is also going to be one hell of an advantage moving through a house or building as it is just less troublesome. Do one take the can off after the first 2 magazines and carry on with the fight, or do you keep it on all the way to the end? If I am going through the trouble of getting one, it might be a good idea to buy once and finished. I have a Galil 5 that I use with a locally manufactured can, that works well, but the weight and balance is a problem. The DDM4V7s I have is very good firearm and if I manage to get a can for it, it will solve all my problems. Thank you for the help.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NPvanderMerwe View Post
    OK, thank you guys so far. I think we must first look into a part that I might have not experience of, and the reason is the following: what do you need a suppressor/silencer for, as the answer to the type of can lies in the application? First of all, I present training. For younger kids and novice shooters, the sounds and the recoil is sometimes a bit to much. So I do not want a child or novice shooter to be put off due to the blow back, and the flames of the explosion coming out of the wrong holes. So safety and training is an objective here. If we move forward to more tactical training, my question is that going through for arguments sake x 5 30 round magazines, the can is going to be hot... is the suppressor designed to take that much beating?

This depends on the type of can. What material is your can made out of?

Presenting Urban Tactical training within a building, the can is also going to be one hell of an advantage moving through a house or building as it is just less troublesome. Do one take the can off after the first 2 magazines and carry on with the fight, or do you keep it on all the way to the end?

The suppressor is going to be way too hot to take off after 2 magazines of 5.56mm firing

If I am going through the trouble of getting one, it might be a good idea to buy once and finished. I have a Galil 5 that I use with a locally manufactured can, that works well, but the weight and balance is a problem. The DDM4V7s I have is very good firearm and if I manage to get a can for it, it will solve all my problems. Thank you for the help.
    What kind of cans do you have access to?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Good day, to answer the questions... we basically have the type that is suitable for hunting rifles, and bolt action... it is made of a stainless steel outer and baffled inner made of aluminum. These are the best I could get my hands on https://www.gunwarrior.co.za/silencers

I understand the heat issue.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Good day, to answer the questions... we basically have the type that is suitable for hunting rifles, and bolt action... it is made of a stainless steel outer and baffled inner made of aluminum. These are the best I could get my hands on https://www.gunwarrior.co.za/silencers

I understand the heat issue.
    Aluminum baffles are going to disintegrate pretty rapidly with a high pressure centerfire rifle. In the US, aluminum is pretty much only used in 22 suppressors, and even then, not in the better ones. Apparently, it is not illegal for suppressors to be exported from the US, but I have no idea as to the cost or feasibility of doing so.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN24B34K

As to your needs, I would recommend a low backpressure suppressor with 17-4 or inconel stainless steel, or stellite baffles. Aluminum is ill-suited for the task unless you're planning on replacing the baffles often.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Thank you for the reply. Yes, maybe the cost is the reason for the thread. I want to design and develop my own.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thank you for the reply. Yes, maybe the cost is the reason for the thread. I want to design and develop my own.
    There was a guy on here that designed and built his own suppressor. Actually a very good and very effective design for a home build. I will try to find the thread link and post it here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast