Thread: Aero 308 issues

Feedback Score

Aero 308 issues

I have a aero 308 16” barrel and lower, shoots perfect without the suppressor. With my rugged radiant brass gets chewed up, out of a 100 rounds had a couple failure to ejects and a couple brass caught in the ejector causing it to mangle the round. Factory rifle for the most part, non adjustable gas block. Any ideas on a buffer and spring fix or do I need to add a adjustable gas block. Think the bcg is going to fast, using the can with a 556 or 300 blackout shooting supers or heavy subs no issues. Frustrating any thoughts would be appreciated!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    There are two issues potentially hurting performance here.

Does the lower use a standard CAR length tube and a short buffer?

That buffer is too light and has limited options due to the short length.

A better setup is to use the longer RE tube and a standard CAR H2 or H3 buffer.

The second issue is the gas system length is too short for the 308 pressure curve.

A half way fix for that is to use an actual adjustable gas block, as it will likely need different settings when suppressed and not.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    There are two issues potentially hurting performance here.

Does the lower use a standard CAR length tube and a short buffer?

That buffer is too light and has limited options due to the short length.

A better setup is to use the longer RE tube and a standard CAR H2 or H3 buffer.

The second issue is the gas system length is too short for the 308 pressure curve.

A half way fix for that is to use an actual adjustable gas block, as it will likely need different settings when suppressed and not.
    This 100%. I think the website is Heavy Buffers so go there and or get Clints gas tubes and change it out and life will improve.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Start with an adjustable gas block. The suppressor causes the pressure to increase, which changes the timing of the extraction and ejection cycle. The brass doesn’t have enough time to contract after the powder burn, causing it to stick to the chamber walls as the bolt is trying to extract it. Keep in mind you’ll have to adjust it for suppressed and unsuppressed use.

And yeah, that DPMS style short buffer is garbage. I would suggest a complete Armalite, LMT, or KAC 308 carbine setup.

https://www.primaryarms.com/lmt-mws-308-buffer-kit

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022865080

https://www.armalite.com/SACItem.aspx?Item=10702302
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 06-29-22 at 14:15.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    For sure get an adjustable gas block.
    This won't be as popular, but I really prefer a rifle length buffer/tube. For me it made my 308 shoot a lot smoother than the carbine setup with heavy buffer I had. Just my experience.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    When I had a Colt 901, I experienced the same issue. An extra heavy buffer from Heavy Buffers was the fix albeit with a noticeable increase in felt recoil. Lacking the proprietary tools for disassembly, I couldn't experiment with BRT's gas tubes or gas block inserts which I felt would've been better options.