Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else still use a shotgun for HD?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
    Does firing off 16 .30 cal pellets with each trigger pull count at ROF?
    Look, I'm not trying to minimize the effectiveness of a 12 ga HIT. What you don't get is as fast target re-acquisition if you miss (which is really not much harder to do than with anything else considering spread) or if you need to engage multiple targets. Use whatever you think works for you, brother, but keep in mind that the choice of pretty much every LEO and every military (with very very few exceptions such as breaching) is the carbine for good reason.

Innumerable scenarios have been run, and the shotgun has been tried plenty. But they all have come back to the carbine. And truth be told, it's not like you won't be served well with a good SG, you will. You will just gain a few advantages with the carbine, advantages that most people will want when life and death are on the line. I know that I, for one at least, am going to seek every advantage I can get in a gun fight.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'll bet when the moment of truth comes and one is facing an intruder in their house, they might not even notice a shotguns recoil.
    The SG's recoil affects ROF and the ability to quickly reacquire a target, or to engage multiple targets.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Look, I'm not trying to minimize the effectiveness of a 12 ga HIT. What you don't get is as fast target re-acquisition if you miss (which is really not much harder to do than with anything else considering spread) or if you need to engage multiple targets. Use whatever you think works for you, brother, but keep in mind that the choice of pretty much every LEO and every military (with very very few exceptions such as breaching) is the carbine for good reason.

Innumerable scenarios have been run, and the shotgun has been tried plenty. But they all have come back to the carbine. And truth be told, it's not like you won't be served well with a good SG, you will. You will just gain a few advantages with the carbine, advantages that most people will want when life and death are on the line. I know that I, for one at least, am going to seek every advantage I can get in a gun fight.
    Copy that.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    The SG's recoil affects ROF and the ability to quickly reacquire a target, or to engage multiple targets.
    And depending how trained you are with it, engage accurately. Lots of shooters flinch with higher powered guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    And depending how trained you are with it, engage accurately. Lots of shooters flinch with higher powered guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Another good point. Also, I've read of multiple instances of people short stroking the action when under the pressure of a gun fight. Oops...

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Another good point. Also, I've read of multiple instances of people short stroking the action when under the pressure of a gun fight. Oops...
    But the whole point of racking the pump is to make the bad guys run in fear so who cares if the shell isnt chambered
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    But the whole point of racking the pump is to make the bad guys run in fear so who cares if the shell isnt chambered
    ... and now the number one reason to buy a shotgun, Paul... You can save an infinite amount of money because you don't have to buy any ammo!

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I'll bet when the moment of truth comes and one is facing an intruder in their house, they might not even notice a shotguns recoil.
    In high stress situations the opposite is usually true.

Yes, you don't "notice" the recoil such as at a range on a calm day but you may short stroke and cause a malfunction after a 160db blast messes with your ooda loop. Do you have a suppressor on your shotgun? Even with an 18" barrel that would be quite long.

I hope you don't think we're all being mean - you asked about SG use on a website called M4Carbine.net
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    This is what using a full power 12ga loadout looks like for me at typical HD distance.

I'm not god's gift or anything of the sort, but this doesn't seem much different from how I do with a 5.56 gun. I may put them on the timer in the morning and see, though, because I'm curious!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    12.5” 5.56 gun takes care of that nicely.
    Some form of plate steel is cheaper and more likely. A round of buck to the nugget works. Same as 556.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast