Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else still use a shotgun for HD?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Ended up getting rid of my Benelli M1 Super 90. Couldn't imagine a scenario where I would realistically pick it over a suppressed short barreled AR.

OP keep in mind that an 18" shotgun still produces 161 dB, which is pretty much the same as an AR, so you're not gaining anything on that front. There's no question that a single center mass or CNS hit with 12 GA buck is a fight ender, but the low capacity, much slower reloading, slower ROF, and inability to defeat armor compared to an AR are definite shortcomings.
    Good point. I was looking at a decibel chart and was surprised that .556, 12ga and even 9mm and .40 are all about the same level.
    In a normal hallway in a house that would probably cause permanent ear damage.
    I keep my muffs in my range bag. Maybe I should keep them with my gun in the bedroom.
    Last edited by Harpoon; 06-30-22 at 18:40.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
    Good point. I was looking at a decible chart and was surprised that .556, 12ga and even 9mm and .40 are all about the same level.
    In a normal hallway in a house that would probably cause permanent ear damage.
    You've probably got 6 months left on your suppressor wait - they seem to be averaging around 400 days from check cashed nowadays. You will definitely sustain permanent hearing damage setting off anything louder than a 22 indoors, so in the meantime I suggest a set of electronic ear muffs. You may or may not have enough time to slip them on, but if you do, then why not?
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    You've probably got 6 months left on your suppressor wait - they seem to be averaging around 400 days from check cashed nowadays. You will definitely sustain permanent hearing damage setting off anything louder than a 22 indoors, so in the meantime I suggest a set of electronic ear muffs. You may or may not have enough time to slip them on, but if you do, then why not?
    The salesman at Silencer Central said its averaging 9 months. This was 10 months ago. I should have asked like what's the discount if it's longer than what he said. But it's not their fault.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Ended up getting rid of my Benelli M1 Super 90. Couldn't imagine a scenario where I would realistically pick it over a suppressed short barreled AR.

OP keep in mind that an 18" shotgun still produces 161 dB, which is pretty much the same as an AR, so you're not gaining anything on that front. There's no question that a single center mass or CNS hit with 12 GA buck is a fight ender, but the low capacity, much slower reloading, slower ROF, and inability to defeat armor compared to an AR are definite shortcomings.
    Plus massive recoil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
    Well shucks now you all got me thinking I should use my AK with a 75 round drum. The highest capacity AR mags I have are only pmag 40 rounders.
    How quick can you get the safety off?

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Plus massive recoil.

Yup. Kinda rolled that in to ROF, but yeah, definitely massive recoil compared to an AR. Also got rid of the 590A1. Just can't justify owning something that has no justifiable purpose in my mind.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    How quick can you get the safety off?

Good point, and that safety is loud.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    The shortest barreled AR's I have are 16". So add a 7" Banish that's a long barrel for HD. Right?
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    Yup. Kinda rolled that in to ROF, but yeah, definitely massive recoil compared to an AR. Also got rid of the 590A1. Just can't justify owning something that has no justifiable purpose in my mind.
    Does firing off 16 .30 cal pellets with each trigger pull count at ROF?
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    Plus massive recoil.

I'll bet when the moment of truth comes and one is facing an intruder in their house, they might not even notice a shotguns recoil.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast