Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Handguns have become boring

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    There's really not one good pistol at ANY price level that I would buy for carry/defense. There's plenty of cool pistols that would be fun to have, but they don't make the cut for practical and reliable carry.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    I am totally committed to the Leighi Defense 68 grain bullet as loaded by Underwood in both 9mm and if they ever make it again in 357 sig.

I understand that anything near 2000fps has broken new ground and if the 357 sig ever comes back it will out of an 8inch AR hit 2300fps.

But this has led me to my problem. My current gun is my old Glock model 34 with a 6inch barrel, with a Overwatch flat trigger and trigger bar. The trigger is as good as it can get for a carry gun.

But damn, it is a Glock, which just has no soul.

I have been looking to try and get a replacement pistol and nothing is out there that floats my boat and that I could put a 6 inch barrel in.

I guess I am not a striker fired fan
    Owning a gun, shooting a gun, etc. can be boring. Have you thought about a shooting sport? No idea your background, etc. I just figured throw this out there.

God Bless,

Brandon

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    When I first got interested in firearms (1987) the world was my “gun oyster” so to speak.A lot of interesting guns then but I was new to guns so ALL were cool. Until of course you got your first lemon, Then you started really looking deeply into what works and what doesn’t. I’ve had my fair share of “lemons” I was happy to get rid of along with some pleasant surprises! It was part of the game so to speak.FWIW, I always disclosed what was wrong with a gun when I sold it usually at a loss to the buyer. Some buyers I never heard from ever again and some I did run into as the shooting circles in my area are kind of small. I used to enjoy hearing how they managed to correct or resurrect a gun that was giving me fits. Now the situation has changed for the better. The industry has evolved that buying a handgun from a major manufacturer gives you a lot of choices in that line along with reliability, accuracy, longevity etc etc. it is boring when you can’t recognize one manufacture from another some distance from a glass display case in the gun store! From a purely self-defense, practical, tactical, EDC, LE etc. perspective the choices that are stocked at your local gun stores today are excellent. If you stay with some major manufacturers for longarms you will be good to go also. I’ll add that even now when something doesn’t work right from the box after a break in, I’m not even bothering we’re going back to the gun store: it’s going right back to the manufacturer along with a list of what’s wrong unless they direct me otherwise. But that occurs less and less often, maybe I’m just lucky. I feel for the collector crowd as the days of a huge variety of military surplus firearms that were inexpensive,are way long gone. When something comes on the collector market it’s usually overpriced from the start. When you add that that foreign governments are turning surplus firearms in there arsenals into scrap metal for that high value then you know that ship has sailed and ain’t coming back. Several friends of mine were surplus firearms collectors and they always managed to pick up some thing that can serve them a dual purpose i.e. self-defense, plinking etc. etc. I had one buddy of mine who picked up a bunch (3) of S&W 1917 revolvers in 45 ACP that were imported from Brazil in the 90s. He still has two of them and for the longest time that was his home defense gun. Now he’d struggle to buy one of them let alone the three he picked up at the time. Collecting, which I do also, is seeing more and more boring and or overpriced guns come on the market.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    All guns have gotten boring.

I literally cannot go into any gun store and find a gun I want to buy (unless it is the $14,000 M249S on display or something ridiculous like that) I can go in with $2000 burning a hole in my pocket and all I see are baby blue Glock 43s or some $200 handgun I’ve never heard of. Savage Axis rifles and mim filled 870s.

2005-2014~ was the hay day. The mag ban expired so handgun makers weren’t trying to base their entire line up around a gun that was just big enough. The AWB sunset coupled with GWOT caused a whole new genre of long gun sales that weren’t based on antiquated soldier of fortune magazines. Companies invested in innovation to stand out.

Now you couldnt avoid some random garage built AR manufacturer hanging on the shelf if you tried.
    I fundamentally agree with all this. I burned out on black rifle Glock clone tactical stuff a few years back. It was just all the same and all boring.

These days, I mostly shoot single actions, lever guns, and 22LR.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    I fundamentally agree with all this. I burned out on black rifle Glock clone tactical stuff a few years back. It was just all the same and all boring.

These days, I mostly shoot single actions, lever guns, and 22LR.
    I never get tired of shooting the AR/M4. As far a pistols though... blah. There's fun stuff to shoot, like all of the 9mm 1911 variations.

But the last gun that piqued my interest was that striker fired/1911/9mm double stack gun. But the company went under.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Tom, that is a lot of truth in what you said.

But even with that, it seems that everything is like a Glock, or it just doesn't meet what I want. I also have tried to see if some people could do custom work so I could get what I want and the answer has been no. I haven't got one yes and here is the cost a duffel bag full of cash, just no.

Such is life.
    My comment wasn't meant to negate anything you said. Most pistols are kind of boring. Since I'm stuck in California, I actually bought a Beretta PX4 Storm with it's SA/DA trigger because I thought it might not be boring. Relearning to shoot a DA/SA trigger again seems interesting.

Maybe you could score a Laugo Arms Alien...I think that pistol is quite interesting, that or an Atlas Athena

https://atlasgunworks.com/atlas-gunworks-athena

The frame to slide fit and smoothness is the best I've ever seen and felt.

Feedback Score
    The Alien is very cool, but it is a gun for games. If I remember correctly Vickers has one and it will not feed hollowpoints.

The Atlas is also a nice gun, but it doesn't meet my criteria for barrel length.

But thanks for your input I really appreciate it.

Maybe I need to carry a SW model 10 with round nose 38, for a while. Then all semi autos will look good again.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Maybe I need to carry a SW model 10 with round nose 38, for a while. Then all semi autos will look good again.
    Yikes.

That would do it.

Feedback Score
    Guns arent cool, skills are.
    Have you tried competing?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    There's really not one good pistol at ANY price level that I would buy for carry/defense. There's plenty of cool pistols that would be fun to have, but they don't make the cut for practical and reliable carry.
    You have had issues with stock glocks?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast