Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me decide / educate me on buffers.

Feedback Score

Help me decide / educate me on buffers.

I recently had a Colt SOCOM 14.5 in barrel installed on a new upper. While shooting it using 5.56 55 gr ammo, I’ve noticed that the brass is ejecting around 2 o’clock. After doing some reading, I’m understanding that the rifle is over gassed? Further reading I understand Colt shipped H buffers with the 6920, but shipped H2 buffers with the SOCOM barreled 6920’s. I’m trying to understand if both rifles are semi-automatic, is there a reason why Colt would use an H buffer for the 6920 and an H2 buffer for the SOCOM 6920? How would the thicker barrel of the SOCOM necessitate a heavier buffer? Or am I interpreting this wrong? I’m trying to figure out if I should get an H2 buffer or not, due to the perceived over gassing.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The prevailing conventional wisdom in this forum is not to pay too much attention to ejection angle as long as the rifle runs reliably. However, I will say that an H2 is still most likely the way to go. Yes, it will move the ejection angle back to 3 o'clock, but it will do so by slowing the bolt speed which has the additional benefits of reducing perceived recoil and keeping your sights on target better. Do it.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Anatoly Lebed View Post
    I’m trying to figure out if I should get an H2 buffer or not, due to the perceived over gassing.
    If you just 'got' to do it cause the internet tells you to -

Buy a generic H3 for cheap and pull the tungsten weights out. Now you can make any config you want for cheap (providing you have a carbine buffer laying around someplace for the other weights).

Would not bother personally.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Buy an H3 and strip the tungsten weights, or buy the weights separately. I've seen several options in packs of 3, the usual places sell them.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The pie is a fake. You cannot determine how an AR is gassed by the ejection angle. A friend and I tried to adjust the gas block of his AR using the ejection angle according to that stupid pie chart. It was an exercise in comical futility. (I love my Sprinco springs, but that ejection chart is the second greatest joke pulled on the world of AR shooters.) What the ejection angle can give you an insight to is the condition of your extractor spring. If the ejection angle moved towards 1 o’clock, the spring is headed towards failure. Another indication of impending spring failure is the angle moving toward 4 o’clock when slowing down the carrier speed.

Anatoly, from your description, your extractor spring is starting to go. Install a Colt extractor spring.

AR gassing cannot be changed by changing the buffer. A heavier buffer may soften how the recoil feels, but an over gassed AR is an over gassed AR no matter how heavy the buffer is.

The most correct buffer weight is the rifle buffer. An H2 is lighter, but still works well. The H is close to marginal and the carbine buffer is useless.

Your Colt SOCOM barrel isn’t over gassed. If the lower uses a carbine buffer, it’s under buffered.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 07-01-22 at 00:43.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post

Anatoly, from your description, your extractor spring is starting to go. Install a Colt extractor spring.
    The upper, barrel, BCG, ejector spring, extractor and extractor spring are all brand new. I installed the Colt copper extractor spring before I fired the first shot. So it’s not the extractor spring.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    It will run fine with an H. Colt recommends H for semi-auto.

I use H2s in all my 6920s.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    H2 is the optimal buffer for carbine gas systems. I most closely mimics the Rifle buffer system. A Colt SOCOM barrel, short of some monumental Eff Up, is not over gassed.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    The increased inertia of the SOCOM barrel is the reason for the H2 vs H1 in the Govt profile barrels. Either buffer is fine in either gun for semiauto operation. H2 is “clone correct”.

Enjoy your rifle; there is nothing wrong with it. It is the gold standard.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post

I disagree. Factory .mil M4s with mil ammo and proper extractor springs eject to 2 o’clock when brand new. Its normal. I don’t think there is anything wrong with his gun.
    Last edited by 1168; 07-01-22 at 16:15.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Enjoy your rifle; there is nothing wrong with it. It is the gold standard.
    That spicy 5.56 ammo will indeed kick out in a forward fashion. Perfectly normal. I do favor the H2 for all carbine gas systems though.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast