Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me decide / educate me on buffers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Anatoly Lebed View Post
    The upper, barrel, BCG, ejector spring, extractor and extractor spring are all brand new. I installed the Colt copper extractor spring before I fired the first shot. So it’s not the extractor spring.
    Every cycling, extraction or ejection problem that gets posted about here and that same guy blames it on the extractor spring...

No matter what - 'You need a new Colt extractor spring'.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    My assigned weapon has a SOCOM barrel, and an H2 buffer. Consequently my home brew SOCOM build runs an H2 buffer. Both run like a top.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    You don't "need" an H2 buffer, your upper should work fine with an H1. Colt 14.5s are not overgassed unless you run a suppressor.

As has been said here, I run H2s in carbine gas ARs but half the reason is for a little more reciprocating mass to strip and chamber rounds.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 07-02-22 at 12:01.

Feedback Score
    Buffer chart from Sprinco

buffer_weight_chart_7.pdf
    Last edited by fedupflyer; 07-06-22 at 08:17.

Feedback Score
    I recently had a Colt SOCOM 14.5 in barrel installed on a new upper. While shooting it using 5.56 55 gr ammo, I’ve noticed that the brass is ejecting around 2 o’clock. After doing some reading, I’m understanding that the rifle is over gassed? Further reading I understand Colt shipped H buffers with the 6920, but shipped H2 buffers with the SOCOM barreled 6920’s. I’m trying to understand if both rifles are semi-automatic, is there a reason why Colt would use an H buffer for the 6920 and an H2 buffer for the SOCOM 6920? How would the thicker barrel of the SOCOM necessitate a heavier buffer? Or am I interpreting this wrong? I’m trying to figure out if I should get an H2 buffer or not, due to the perceived over gassing.
    I'm pretty sure Chris Bartocci of Small Arms Solutions mentioned Colt uses the H2 buffer in the M4A1 because they have full auto capability and it help with bolt bounce.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    The increased inertia of the SOCOM barrel is the reason for the H2 vs H1 in the Govt profile barrels. .
    This part I don’t understand.

How if two barrels are of equal length ie 14.5 in, how can the SOCOM barrel generate more inertia? I thought the SOCOM barrel came about due to barrels bursting under full auto fire?

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    This part I don’t understand.

How if two barrels are of equal length ie 14.5 in, how can the SOCOM barrel generate more inertia? I thought the SOCOM barrel came about due to barrels bursting under full auto fire?
    Increased mass of the heavy barrel causes more bolt bounce.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    Increased mass of the heavy barrel causes more bolt bounce.
    While this is true, the H2 buffer was developed with the lightweight barrel in 1999.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    While this is true, the H2 buffer was developed with the lightweight barrel in 1999.

M4 or pencil? I knew it’s been around for awhile, but thought it was first put to widespread use with the M4A1.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast