Thread: Paypal $0 Prenote fraud?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Paypal $0 Prenote fraud?

I saw a $0 prenote transaction on my checking account from Paypal yesterday. I guess it's common for scammers to raid your account on holiday weekends since the banks are closed for the holiday and you're screwed.

Has anyone ever seen this or had this happen? I called my credit union, but they can't do anything until something hits the account. WTF? Is this 1985? It blows my mind that the bank will take a hit, and doesn't have the ability to control this activity. They told me to call Paypal.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I had the same thing happen and the bank told me it was PayPal verifying that the account was still active. It dropped off after a couple of days.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    I had the same thing happen and the bank told me it was PayPal verifying that the account was still active. It dropped off after a couple of days.
    That's good. The bank messaged me that paypal may do that if I've ever linked the account. Thanks.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Normally what the thieves do is do a $1 charge to the account to make sure it's still active. If the transaction goes through then they know they have a live account and go full raid mode on it until it gets caught and shutdown.
    Love you Pop. F*ck Cancer.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    FWIW, when PayPal verified my account, they made 2 small deposits of under $1 and then had me enter the amounts to verify.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    FWIW, when PayPal verified my account, they made 2 small deposits of under $1 and then had me enter the amounts to verify.
    Yeah. They did that at initial set up. But I haven't used the account in a long time. So I was spooked because the holiday weekends are when the can go to town on your accounts.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Yeah. They did that at initial set up. But I haven't used the account in a long time. So I was spooked because the holiday weekends are when the can go to town on your accounts.
    Why don't you go ahead and change your password, just to be sure.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I only use my credit card online for this reason. If they get my credit card, it's Visa's money and their problem. If they get my bank card, it's my money.